It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nursing home abandons patients! Huh?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
why the disdain for the workers? I am sure they have families and need to get PAID. So, they should stay and work for free? without any authorization?

taking care of some old people who caused this hell of a society through their ignorance.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There are laws, at least in Missouri regarding 'abandonment'

The premature termination of medical treatment is often the subject of a legal cause of action known as "abandonment." Abandonment is defined as the unilateral termination of a physician-patient or health professional-patient relationship by the health care provider without proper notice to the patient when there is still the necessity of continuing medical attention.

www.thehealthlawfirm.com...

Hopefully there are laws like that in California and those who left will be prosecuted. I also don't see how the state could have closed the facility without making arrangements for care and or transfer of the residents first. There is no excuse for this kind of thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

MALBOSIA
reply to post by Ex_CT2

It gave me a good feeling that at least a few stayed to do what they
could to help, feeling the gravity of the situation.

Isn't this a looming risk with elderly care. In general, If a privatr care
facility hits financial woes and must eliminate staff or worse forfit
the building. Is it the responciblity of the residence to find other arangements?

I proofread for company that does newsletters for a lot of assisted living and long-term care facilities. The way most of them are portrayed in their literature, it is a lease-type agreement. So it seems to me that this kind of thing would be a violation of the terms of any such agreement on the part of the landlord. Even if the State ordered a shutdown, there is still a financial, contractual obligation there to those residents. It's impossible that all those residents' rent had run out.

Regardless, this underscores the importance of strong family bonds. I hope those poor residents have family who are willing and able to help them.

And this is a lesson to us. Don't let yourselves become personally isolated. Maintain strong bonds with your family, faith community and neighbors. When things begin to fall apart, those ties may very well save your life because as we see, the State certainly won't. They just want less of us.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm sorry but when you are shutdown by the state what are you supposed to do? I don't see how this is the owners problem. I know they were negligent and got shutdown from poor practices but once the state steps in and closes your doors they need to take some responsibility too. People don't work for free and these places depend on the state and federal government to pay them. I tried to see it the other way but I just don't. What are they supposed to do offer free care?

Are they supposed to transport every person to the local hospitals ER? I'm pretty sure their hands were tied and there was nothing they could do about it. To me this is the same catch 22 that if your child gets suspended from school that the truancy officer comes to your house and writes you a ticket because the school wont let your child on the grounds. It's pure bunk. If the states going to shutdown a care facility then they need to make arrangements for those being cared for at that facility. The facility cannot just throw them out on to the curb.

For some reason the state really wants your children but they do not want to even be in the same room as your elderly. If they were to shutdown something involving kids you better believe they would snatch'em quick, but when it comes to old people they just flat out abandon them. I have seen this situation a time or two and it appears some people stayed and did their best for free. If you called the local hospital how much you wanna bet they said "Don't bring'em here!"? Same thing happened during Katrina. The hospital couldn't take everyone.

edit on 9-11-2013 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Thanx for the newspaper snippit.

It is my feeling that the caregivers that abandoned them should be held accountable also. They knew if they walked out that door that not enough people were left to care for them. If they did things properly they would only be, "inconvenienced" for a very short while. I am not familiar with the circumstances, but why wasn't the police called the second that they realized these people were abandoned? They could have been removed to hospitals at least temporarily.

Anyways, this goes to show that the owners were out for the money over the well being of their patients. Yes I do hope they rot in their cells.

edit on 9-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join