It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont know where to post this....but I am so offended

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
im offended
not at the replys of my associates
Im offended
at seriously how hard it was fer me to link this dumb story about a girl being offended ....er wait...was I the one offended...I forgot already by the offense

BE Offended my friends

I am the least interesting poster In the world

X

c'mon that's funny right there ?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Little kids aren't allowed to have opinions. Some time in a sneaker factory should fix that though.
Damn crazy kids and their crazy VD.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcouncil=wisdom

she looks whiter than i am and i'm pretty white. what she got about 1/1000 native american.
if one of your grand parents was 1/2 cherokee would that make you 1/8 cherokee.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

your awesome

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Connman

and so are you!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'm offended by people who take offense from people who are offended by other people.

There.

That probably offended someone else.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

akushla99

alfa1

Xcouncil=wisdom
Have you seen this..a little girl saying she is an American indian is offended by people dressing up as an actual native American?

I'm offended that native americans dress up as "westerners". Cultural appropriation, thats what it is. They're not europeans, so they shouldnt be allowed to wear our culture's clothing.

(works both ways, doesnt it? Or is racism just a one way street?)

That has to be a joke...cultural appropriation of forced assimilation? I don't remember there being 'reservations' for any colonising culture (and that word should be used with utmost care)...and to be specific,it would be a form of culturism (if that exists)...colonising and forced assimilation is a one-way street...

Å99

Forced assimilation didn't happen to anyone but Indians?!? Perhaps you need to check the history books again.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

superman2012

Forced assimilation didn't happen to anyone but Indians?!? Perhaps you need to check the history books again.

True! Just take the Borg for example!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

ouuuch seriously......
ouch...
I'm like seriously in pain from laughing so freaking hard

we are related aren't we

ouch...OK

calming down...

this is not a joke...some "native" girl says she is offended by people dressing up for Halloween as 'native americans'

you get the seriousness of the situation right!!!

I mean...if she at least had a tan that would maaaaaybe get my attention
juss saying

x

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I can't say I can relate since no one has offended me by dressing up as a white woman. But I can see how it would. She needs to have 'the tourist approach' explained to her.

American Indians are forever stuck in this role as the hide/bead wearing people who smoke peace pipes. It's a long standing cultural stigmatization and has little to do with how they are actually thought of today (at least I hope not for most people).

This is a teachable moment - she can look at other cultures people apply to roles to - a gang banger, a buddah, a person wearing a zoot suit, etc. People attribute roles to cultures at halloween but it is a generalization of one attribute or snapshot of a that culture (tourist approach). So she can either learn it's inevitable and not find offense in it or choose to think those who apply it once a year are idiots. It's halloween - people are not going to be culturally sensitive and precise. If people do it year round as a fixed way of thinking that's a problem - and some people do this. Focus on the year round ones - much more important IMO. Halloween - Everyone can find offense in something I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Xcouncil=wisdom
I am the least interesting poster In the world

Oh yeah? Wanna fight about it????

It's ironic that as I read this thread there is a news item on the tv here about the loss of indiginous languages in Australia. Something I feel very strongly about as I admire languages in all their forms, and realise that they are an important aspect of all of us. It's a shame that indiginous cultures are not treated with more openess and adopted by others so that there will always be a memory of it.

We've lost too many languages down here, from the Aboriginal peoples. The few words that are used in common speaking today in non-remote areas are corrupted so that even they have a different sound/spelling to what they originally were.

Manatj for instance, is always spoken as monarch. Manatj meaning white pelican, but is in reference to the police. Back in the olden days the Nyungar people called the white men in funny little black hats who arrested them for nothing, manatj... over the years it became monarch and associated with the English.

Sad to see it lose it's true meaning.

Yet we'd be in the same boat if non-indiginous people were to dress as indiginous.. we'd be accused of racism and bigotry. There are not any hwere near enough young Aborigines willing to embrace their own culture here. Rather they adopt everything western then accuse all and sundry of racism and proclaim they want their land back. With the modern conveniences, mind you.

no matter where we roam on this planet, we will find people who have been disposessed. how.. what is there that can be done? I see nothing wrong with dressing in another cultural garb.

as long as they do not riot en masse and cut your head off when they find you... I'm looking at you *murmer mumble* *does eye-finger thing*

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Native population. totally fine to dress up as
and here is why.

Dressing up in black face (or any other -color- of the skin) is insulting. A person cannot change that
But
It is perfectly acceptable to dress up as a cultural reference, be it a native American, a knight, etc. A choice is fine, a simple reality of biology is not. A native American could have decided simply to wear a business suit, or a space suit, etc (not that they were around, point is, the dress sense is a choice, they weren't born with feathers and war paint on).

It can be insulting though, but then again, dressing up as a witch, mummy, or pretty much anything else is a gross misunderstanding of the root form...its still fine though (vampires for instance pokes fun of people whom were sick, mass murderers, and a misunderstanding of body decomposition, all of which are ultimately poking fun at very serious instances).

And finally, its Halloween, its not racist, its good fun. I am a white American, I won't freak out if some foreign national puts on a fat suit, nascar shirt, 3 buckets of chicken on a belt and a fake sofa enclosed around him and calls himself the typical American. I would chuckle at the exaggeration and give some ideas if anything. If you can't have a chuckle about your own culture, then the real issue is, you secretly resent it and think somehow someone else having a bit of fun will actually harm it.

That is..a lot of words over some fluff..meh, I was bored. Happy Halloween everyone
edit on 26-10-2013 by SaturnFX because: altered me to him...was thinking of costume ideas

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Xcouncil=wisdom

your awesome

*looks around*

Why.. whats going on.. what have you done? I didn't mean it. I was kidding.

*looks over shoulder*

naww tell me what you did...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

beezzer
I'm offended by people who take offense from people who are offended by other people.

There.

Beez seriously..
Have I told you lately that your my hero?

your everything I wish I could be
I could fly higher than an eagle
because your the wind beneath my wings

thank you
thank you

bette midler will now be in my dreams
:-|

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

I'm not sure who the Native Americans had to beat out to live in America before it was, but the Europeans came for one thing and that was to take land for themselves. The trail of tears and other massacres the Native Americans suffered far outweigh their attacks against the invaders. The Europeans raising the Native American children so their heritage was lost. There was more to the war on Native Americans than some bullet holes and land loss and it has lasted years. As far as the fighting goes, there is enough blame to go around but the Native Americans didn't go out to rob another country of their land.

As to the topic, it's a shame the child is offended.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Maaaaaybe
but unfortunately...I'd think after a few rounds....we'd back down...then order a few rounds...
and with a sigh realize

we like BEER!

all kidding aside...the children....
someone has to think of the children

obviously the parents of this girl..not so much....

Yay
Zombies!!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

StoutBroux
reply to post by Spookybelle

I'm not sure who the Native Americans had to beat out to live in America before it was, but the Europeans came for one thing and that was to take land for themselves. The trail of tears and other massacres the Native Americans suffered far outweigh their attacks against the invaders. The Europeans raising the Native American children so their heritage was lost. There was more to the war on Native Americans than some bullet holes and land loss and it has lasted years. As far as the fighting goes, there is enough blame to go around but the Native Americans didn't go out to rob another country of their land.

As to the topic, it's a shame the child is offended.

The Indian Naitons were also fighting for land to take for themselves which is the main reason many of them sided with the Europeans. They often could not expand their holdings into other Indian territory due to equal numbers or what have you but once the Europeans arrived they saw their chance.

The Native Americans had plenty of opportunity to rise up against the white man but their own greed destroyed them. They picked sides and even tried to play the British against the French or both against the colonists depending on which tribe we are talking about.

Their motives were exactly the same as the colonists were. Once the Fur Trade blew up this problem became even worse, with the Natives completely decimating entire areas of the country, environmentally, in order to increase their "profit" in whatever ways was important to their tribe.

People often throw out the Trail of Tears as an example of brutality, and it was cruel, but only a few thousand actually died on that march and many of the Native American Tribes lost that many in a single day to smallpox. It was not actually the horrific event, in terms of deaths, that history applies to it.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The people of the Six Nations, also known by the French term, Iroquois [1] Confederacy, call themselves the Hau de no sau nee (ho dee noe sho nee) meaning People Building a Long House. Located in the northeastern region of North America, originally the Six Nations was five and included the Mohawks, Oneidas, Onondagas, Cayugas, and Senecas. The sixth nation, the Tuscaroras, migrated into Iroquois country in the early eighteenth century. Together these peoples comprise the oldest living participatory democracy on earth. Their story, and governance truly based on the consent of the governed, contains a great deal of life-promoting intelligence for those of us not familiar with this area of American history. The original United States representative democracy, fashioned by such central authors as Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, drew much inspiration from this confederacy of nations. In our present day, we can benefit immensely, in our quest to establish anew a government truly dedicated to all life's liberty and happiness much as has been practiced by the Six Nations for over 800 hundred years. [2]
ONLY BECAUSE THEY.,,,opps,, didnt have boats,,,or they would have.
make no mistake,,for they were fierce and true warriors, of the highest, Spirit.
But a Lie,,was not easily understood,,by these "People's of The Great Spirit"

I hope not too offend ,,but enlighten.

From Cape Breton to Ney York,, was there Nation.

its even on some maps.

But as they say..,,War is hell.

opps here: www.ratical.org...
edit on 10/26/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Some historians blame a majority of the early problems between the colonists and Indians on the Iroquois Confederacy, for it was they that signed many of the first treaties giving away much of the land or resources. Its also important to note that many of the treaties signed, were also signed with opposite arrangements with France or Britain, thus giving land rights to two different nations in hopes that they would fight each other.

Some claim this as a shrewd way to rid themselves of enemies while others say it was used for benefit in trade goods among the indian tribes.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

beezzer

There.

I'm offended by that comment!

Perhaps we should just ban any and all Halloween costumes. No matter what you dress up as, it could offend someone. Halloween costumes are about having fun, I don't think most people pick out their costume thinking "Muhahaha, I shall now show the world how I feel about this oh-so-horrible culture!!" but it's more like "That looks like a pretty costume! And it looks so great on me! It's fun to dress up like this once a year."

I'm part French, and if I went to a party seeing someone wearing a black and white striped shirt with a red scarf while carrying a loaf of bread, I wouldn't be offended by that costume because I'd assume that that person is smart enough to know that that's not how all French people dress or act like, and they're just wearing a fun costume.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join