It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane To Batter Britain.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

As long as it doesn't kill anyone!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Rikku
if the other three threads didnt make it clear, this one does.

tie down your lawn furnature, this could get breezy!

Good advice, I was gonna start with that, if your roof isn't old, you got no worries....any trampolines, put rocks around the bottom to hold it down, kids toys, same, bring them in or if too big, put big rocks on them or in them.....get a generator if you havent got one, as a last resort. Make sure your stocked with food....any branches close to windows or over house, cut them before hand.....we had a 100 mile wind wall run through town, sounding like a freight train, and every 100+ year old tree ended up on my mothers house! ripped right outta the ground???it took our town over 2 years to recover just from that...THEN CAME SANDY!!! Hope I helped!!! Better safe then sorry......if you do have children, and a generator, have plenty of games available. Don't know if you have cable there, but we lost cable for a few days, have candles, flashlights....games to keep kids entertained JUST IN CASE!! O, sorry, if you plan on getting the generator, make sure you have enough fuel to go into it & lots of extension cords!! The generator was the best investment we bought!! We've used it 3 times in 2 years for extended periods of time........good luck!! Keep us posted!!👍

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BloodSister

This will be my first Hurricane so i am not sure how damaging the 80 mph winds are capable of. I am just hoping it won't rip off my roof.

Answer is Yes.........

here in New Jersey had several recent hurricanes come up the coast (Irene, Lee 2011, Sandy 2012)

All caused significant damage to power grid from trees/poles falling on above ground wires

Spent several days without power in each case

Dont know how poer system in Blighty is organized, but be prepared for power loss, After last years storm
bought emergency wind up radio (turn cranck for several revolutions to charge internal battery)

Get extra batteries for radios/ Flashlights (aka torches)

Secure everything which may be blown around to prevent damage

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

firefight
reply to post by BloodSister

This will be my first Hurricane so i am not sure how damaging the 80 mph winds are capable of. I am just hoping it won't rip off my roof.

Answer is Yes.........

here in New Jersey had several recent hurricanes come up the coast (Irene, Lee 2011, Sandy 2012)

All caused significant damage to power grid from trees/poles falling on above ground wires

Spent several days without power in each case

Dont know how poer system in Blighty is organized, but be prepared for power loss, After last years storm
bought emergency wind up radio (turn cranck for several revolutions to charge internal battery)

Get extra batteries for radios/ Flashlights (aka torches)

Secure everything which may be blown around to prevent damage

From south jersey myself. I also added more info for the o/p......we lost power for a few days from sandy, but as I told the op, we pre bought a fairly reasonably priced generator, maybe $400, and ran extention cords all over the house.....I'd rather the o/p be fully prepared then hardly prepared. As your also from jersey, you know what I mean, especially after Sandy......

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Hi folks,

I created a thread with this below and didn't see that it existed already so a little update which also includes France.

I am living in the centre of France but have been awake since 4 this morning due to very high winds starting to pick up here, so battening down the hatches for the day and apparently for the next 48 hours as the height of the storm is expected for this evening and during the night (Sunday).

For the UK : Currently on Yellow alert

A powerful weather system developing over the Atlantic could see Britain battered with some of the worst weather conditions since the Great Storm of 1987, forecasters are predicting.

Click here or on 'view gallery' to see more images

The storm is expected to reach the south coast of England on Sunday night and into Monday, bringing exceptionally strong winds. It could develop winds hitting 12 on the Beaufort Scale - the strength of a hurricane.

More here : www.independent.co.uk...

A near real time weather map for the UK can be found here : www.xcweather.co.uk...

For France : Starting to go to orange alert in all northern regions according to BFM news.

Winds have been pretty strong up North and in the centre as i said earlier on since around 4 this morning (already have a few tiles off the roof), and getting stronger as the hours pass. Currently 07:10 in the morning here and day is breaking, the sky is a black red from the South east that i have not seen in years.

A real time online weather alert can be found here for those of you living over here :

meteoalerte.com...

Take care to all of our members who may be affected by this spell of nasty weather.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I remember the 1987 hurricane that was phoned in by a women from france and ignored and made fun of by M Fish.
Funny thing is i was still sent to school on the morning haha was a laugh. but the destruction wasn't..

So take heed, sometimes the weather people get it right & tell the truth.

Personally i think it will be strong winds/rain something we are use to in england

Just don't put your coat above your head and pretend to be a kite... you might take off!

edit on 27-10-2013 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Its not supposed to hit Scotland, but we are getting pretty heavy winds at the moment.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

BloodSister
reply to post by Argyll

Actually anything over 74 mph is classed as a ''Hurricane''

No, sustained wind speeds over 74mph are classed as hurricane strength. But a hurricane is a tropical storm. This is no more a hurricane than it is a typhoon

It's thought that the remnants Hurricane Debbie in 1961 may have contained an element of tropical air such that it was still, technically, a hurricane when it reached Britain & Ireland - but that's the closest we've come to having a hurricane here. However, Atlantic storms with hurricane strength winds hit Britain - more typically NW Scotland - every year.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

sunnyade
Its not supposed to hit Scotland, but we are getting pretty heavy winds at the moment.

It's your turn next weekend, when it currently looks like Britain could be hit by stronger winds than anything we'll see overnight and tomorrow. However, the strongest winds next weekend will be in Scotland. Where anything under 100mph is just a wee breeze

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Ah, no surprise there then. Bet our Scottish storm doesn't even make the news. I still remember grappling with a blown-away Labrador during Hurricane bawbag, my very favourite of the Scottish storms!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beansidhe

At the moment (and it's 6 days away, so it may change) next weekend's storm is looking very much like a repeat of "Bawbag"

Meantime, I pinched this from Tomasz Schafernaker:

I'm sure he won't mind (he's a friend of a friend)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Oh no, I've had enough bawbags to last a lifetime! Point noted about different terminology though.

'Bawbag wind' just sounds a bit too vile though, I'll stick with the misnomer!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
15:40pm manchester here. winds picking up but nothing serious yet. some rain, very gloomy but that's not unusual for this area. keeping a weather eye open.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Worth noting that with the low not now expected to fully engage with the jet stream until it reaches the North Sea, Denmark is right in the firing line and currently looks like getting much worse than Britain.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

17.11 pm here, dark and gloomy, a little windy and a bit of spitting rain. Nothing unusual.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join