It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should American's sue the NSA over 4th Amendment Violations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Are we as American's not entitled to sue for 4th Amendment violations?

Could a class action suit demand this activity stop.

Other Countries are talking about action.

Yet, it's the American People that had their communications illegally gathered.

Am I off base? Can our rights be intentionally ignored with no repercussions.

My demand would be to defund the NSA. Arrest everybody that knew about this.

Put the cowards faces on Billboards showing their city who sold them out.

For a paycheck? How do they sleep at night? Modern day traitors...

Getting away with it by telling us it's for our own good.

Any Hungry Lawyers out there? I should call Gloria Allred.

She is probably the only person I have ever seen...That would scare the hell out of them.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

How do you sue those whom are already in control? Not to mention, have us citizens been complacent to the point that we have already allowed our rights to be stripped away from us??

Free Speech zones??????

Constitutional Free zones???????

NDAA?

As long as we keep voting in D's and R's just expect the destruction of our country to escalate......

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

seeker1963

How do you sue those whom are already in control? Not to mention, have us citizens been complacent to the point that we have already allowed our rights to be stripped away from us??

Free Speech zones??????

Constitutional Free zones???????

NDAA?

As long as we keep voting in D's and R's just expect the destruction of our country to escalate......

The courts are the last line of defense.

I believe the Constitution was unlawfully ignored. Laws were broken.

People must be held accountable. If you are a member of either political Party.

Immediately check yourself in the nearest FEMA Camp for:

A twelve week course on removing your cranium from your sphincter.
edit on 26-10-2013 by whyamIhere because: My head was in mine

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

The courts are the last line of defense.

I believe the Constitution was unlawfully ignored. Laws were broken.

People must be held accountable. If you are a member of either political Party.

Immediately check yourself in the nearest FEMA Camp for introduction to sanity classes.

You missed my point! Laws are being broken every day by those whom create the laws. It seems that somewhere unknown to us serfs that a law was created to exempt those whom rule over us........just tryin to clear that up.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Where to start? OK at the first question:

No. Yes. Yes. No, maybe.. looks like it. OK. Good idea. Yes. Don't know. Yes. Not that hungry. Maybe so.

That said, in the spirit of your post I don't think it will work. The SOB's have been at it too long and have the dirty laundry on pretty much everyone. It's going to take more than lawyers, harsh words and indignation to restore our constitutional rights (if you know what I mean.)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Bassago

Where to start? OK at the first question:

No. Yes. Yes. No, maybe.. looks like it. OK. Good idea. Yes. Don't know. Yes. Not that hungry. Maybe so.

That said, in the spirit of your post I don't think it will work. The SOB's have been at it too long and have the dirty laundry on pretty much everyone. It's going to take more than lawyers, harsh words and indignation to restore our constitutional rights (if you know what I mean.)

Find a Lawyer...

File a class action Civil Rights Complaint?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Find a Lawyer...

File a class action Civil Rights Complaint?

I suppose, but think the NSA has moved beyond the control of little things like laws, lawyers, judges and congress. They've morphed into the black budget Godzilla and us pesky little folk barely make their radar now (except to spy on.) I'd suggest another approach but it would violate T&C.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Since the George W. Bush administration's warrantless domestic wiretapping program was uncovered in 2005, some 70 lawsuits have been filed in federal court to challenge the government's broad collection of Americans' telephone and internet data. Nearly all of them have been dismissed, in part because the plaintiffs couldn't show they were targeted by the top-secret programs.

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden's leaks may have changed that, according to legal scholars and civil libertarians. At least five new lawsuits have been filed since he first revealed in June that the NSA indiscriminately collects and stores some telephone metadata of U.S. citizens.

Source

Mmmmm. Could be.

ETA: Here's another one.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation announced yesterday that they’ve put together a coalition of 19 organizations, ranging from the First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles to the California Federation of Federal Firearms Licensees to Human Rights Watch to Greenpeace to sue the National Security Agency in federal court for violating members’ First Amendment rights in its recently revealed bulk collection of telephone data.

Source
edit on 10/26/2013 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Thanks for your informative and welcome post.

Looks like I have a little reading to do.

There must be something legally we can do...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Yes.

No need to expound, it should be self evident.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
BBbut didnt Obama say the Supreme Court doesnt have the authority to question the NSA?
Or did i dream that?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

stirling
BBbut didnt Obama say the Supreme Court doesnt have the authority to question the NSA?
Or did i dream that?

Let's see how that sits with a Federal Judge.

Nobody is above the law...or at least that is how it was designed.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I find it offensive that Obama is supposedly concerned about the spying on our allies, but cares less about Americans being spied upon! I guess our allies are proving that Snowden is not a traitor but a true patriot for standing up for our constitutional rights. Americans should file a law suit and also demand Snowden be pardoned. It's outrageous that a president who touted "government transparency" has become just as secretive and removing constitutional rights just like his predecessor.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

WeRpeons

I find it offensive that Obama is supposedly concerned about the spying on our allies, but cares less about Americans being spied upon! I guess our allies are proving that Snowden is not a traitor but a true patriot for standing up for our constitutional rights. Americans should file a law suit and also demand Snowden be pardoned. It's outrageous that a president who touted "government transparency" has become just as secretive and removing constitutional rights just like his predecessor.

The Founders gave the people three branches.

Judges don't like being spied on either.

Time for millions to sue. The Judges will follow the Constitution .

Time for a Lawyer to step up.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

What are we suing for, money? Cause they would just pay us with our own tax money...

We take them to court to stop spying, they say "ok" and keep doing it... What do you believe can be done to make them stop? Criminal charges? Jail? I'm sure the US Govt. will do everything in their power to cover their own butts and I don't see how WE (the people) would have any realistic shot targeting ANY of the alphabet agencies...

I like your idea, OP, I just don't believe it's feasible. I would love to be proved wrong here though.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Hola,

Sue the NSA?
Like they don't already own the courts?
No...NSA and other corrupt military industrial complexe entities need to be ABOLISHED, not sued.
Nobody sued Hitler's "Brown Shirts".
You end their funding...begin independant criminal investigations to jail all who took part in the feeding frenzy of fear.
The only way this is going to happen is if the people have the support of the military and right now that doesn't look too likely.
Funny that the people have more support from the army now than they do professional law enforcement.
Curious that.

-Amitaba-

edit on 27-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

jhn7537

What are we suing for, money? Cause they would just pay us with our own tax money...

We take them to court to stop spying, they say "ok" and keep doing it... What do you believe can be done to make them stop? Criminal charges? Jail? I'm sure the US Govt. will do everything in their power to cover their own butts and I don't see how WE (the people) would have any realistic shot targeting ANY of the alphabet agencies...

I like your idea, OP, I just don't believe it's feasible. I would love to be proved wrong here though.

My point is only a Federal Judge could order our privacy rights restored.

If millions of Americans filed together to have our full Rights restored.

A judge, the boot licking media and millions of pissed off Americans.

Will not be denied Justice.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I talked to my aunt about this who is a defense attorney that works on death penalty cases. You see, in order for any wiretapping to be legal, there must be a warrant - and that warrant must be issued for both a specific person and a specific place (computer, website, etc.)

Therefore, roving wiretaps are patently unconstitutional, end of story, END OF STORY. The truth of the matter is, the intelligence agencies know that they are unconstitutional, because they are training police officers and F.B.I. Agents to lie about how they got the information and the process they used for probable cause, getting a warrant, etc.

However, know this - when you hire an attorney to defend yourself against a case, you must file for discovery, this means that the police or F.B.I. Agents will be forced to give you their files, and if they lied about or reconstructed the case, the case WILL BE THROWN OUT OF COURT.

What I'm saying is, if we want to stop the illegal N.S.A. wiretaps, we are going to have to promote this strategy and hopefully keep a lot of criminals, drug dealers and terrorists OUT from behind bars by getting their cases thrown out of court.

It is only when criminals are winning cases because of this left and right and walking free that things will change. There could be other ways to do it, but this one seems pretty effective

In fact, I am probably getting a case thrown out of court next month (about something minor) because I was smart enough to ask my attorney to file for discovery, and the police lied about how they got probable cause.

The truth of the matter is, the police and federal agents are so corrupt these days that it is a get out of jail free card. Since they aren't spending any time doing legitimate law enforcement, the chances of actually getting caught for something in a manner that won't get thrown out of court if you file for discovery could be quite low.
edit on 27-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Interesting...

If millions filed a motion of discovery on illegally collected communications.

A judge could force them to turn over all of our records?

I am still a little confused.

top topics

join