It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSO J318.5-2 A Starless Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Searched for " PSO J318.5-2", and "starless planet" didn't find this.

Scientists have actually found a planet that has no parent star, which they've named PSO J318.5-2.
www.sciencedaily.com...

....from what I read they detected it via its heat signature, which means the planet -has- heat. Don't planets NEED their parent stars FOR heat?

Very interesting IMO

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Darn. Thought I had something.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

You did, it is an interesting subject/story, but as is often the case here on ATS, some bugger beat you to it....don't let it stop you trying though, and that search can be pretty awful at times.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

jjsr420

Scientists have actually found a planet that has no parent star, which they've named PSO J318.5-2.

....from what I read they detected it via its heat signature, which means the planet -has- heat. Don't planets NEED their parent stars FOR heat?

let's see... if we use the Earth as a model..... we figure the Earth & solar system are ~4 billion years old...

the Earth has a hot core which also heats the thick layers of molton metals & elements that make up the mantle and the thin surface crust helps retain all that heat being generated by the 4 billion year old 'inner-sun'
PSO J318.5-2 might just be such a inter-stellar Planet turned 'vehicle' because the planets' former Sun was going to go Nova & the population just moved their planet from orbit.

the Earth could be put in a huge bubble and be piloted out of orbit if we geared up our technology to do so because the Earth molten interior would be a source of heat...albiet with cities located way below the surface

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well, I guess that makes sense. Is it possible for a similar sccenario without alien intervention? As in same scenario, except the planet gets flung away from its host star?

Is there any way to estimate how long said 'inner sun' would?

Also, doesn't a planet require a sun to maintain an atmosphere?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really curious about this topic.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

jjsr420

Very interesting IMO

That question is based on our current understanding of planetary formations and physics. Just like scientists thought moons around planets not in the goldilocks zone would be frozen wastelands, which has been proven to be not true.

Maybe this planet is composed of elements we have not discovered yet. Maybe it is in an orbit around an object we have not detected yet?

Maybe its a Dyson Sphere?

Maybe its core is composed of more than one major element that interact with each other, producing a lot of heat?

Personally speaking I think we should develop a means for humans to travel to it and study it? I wish we could get more scientific discovery in the media and less politics and the lesser of who cares.

I would rather spend our military budget on science and space exploration rather than ways to kill our fellow man 10 times to the infinite degree over.

top topics

join