It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Uses Pirated Code on Healthcare.gov

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

The new Obamacare website Healthcare.gov has had its fair share of problems over the past weeks, and the trouble continues.

As it turns out, the Government website uses the open source software DataTables, which is a plug-in for the jQuery Javascript library.

While using open-source software is fine, the makers of Healthcare.gov decided to blatantly remove all references to its owners or the original copyright license.

In other words, they simply took the open-source software and are passing it off as their own, a clear violation of the GPL v2 and BSD (3-point) licenses DataTables uses.

Wow...the problems for Obamacare keep getting bigger and bigger.

For more showing the pirated source code, SOURCE

Maybe we can have HHS go after them for copyright violations? That would NEVER happen, LOL

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

I bet some kid in his basement, eating licorice and working on his telephone, is creating a perfect tamper-proof Obamacare website now. But not to be used in place of the real website, but for a game, and millions of people will play it and sign up for faux Obamacare without even realizing it's not the real thing. A man, a plan, a canal, Obamacare.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
geee but iso hunt gets a 110 milioion dollar fine for just searching torrents...

whats wrong with this picture

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's not pirated programs it's open source. Open source programs are free there are no copyright violations. And there is already a thread on this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

buster2010
It's not pirated programs it's open source. Open source programs are free there are no copyright violations. And there is already a thread on this.

Sorry Buster, you are incorrect:

Copyright (c) 2008-2013, Allan Jardine
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of Allan Jardine nor SpryMedia may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

They are in fact in violation of the license and have violated the copyright because the code is copywritten and the notice of such is required in the code when it is being used.

They either need to put back the credit that is due to the makers, or remove the code. Failure to do so could result in a lawsuit and/or a cease and desist.

~Namaste

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

buster2010

Gee buster. I guess you dont get the fact that it is pirated and a copyright violation because they removed the copyright information, which, is a term of the open source license.

Maybe you should education yourself before you speak.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

MODS: Please close this thread and refer to a previous thread already covering this topic. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I just Luv how Buster tells us there is already a thread about this topic and to prove it he gives the link not to the opening thread post but to his own post - which he is incorrect about both here and in that thread LOL

Yeah Buster.. people familiar with open source licenses saw the crime in this right away without having to be told why the government was breaking the law. Tha'ts why the opening posters didn't spell it out.. this is a given, common knowledge

Hey Gov.. thank you for giving me an A-OK to be a Software Pirate. I'll be a good citizen and follow my governments fine example.

Ya know.. with all the bad press the Gov got for trying to pass Internet censoring and piracy bills I cannot believe these guys were so stupid as to be caught red handed doing the very thing they scream loudest about. But then.. theft and deceit is nothing new to this dictatorship.

If you don't live in the USA, bend down, kiss the ground and thank what ever god floats your boat because clearly someones looking out for you.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Existing thread here:

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

top topics

join