It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Hometown Due To Be Hit With High Winds, Echoes of 1987 (A personal report)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Since when has he been 'our silly' OP? He's OUR OP, and it's a Brit thing to do......Mad Dog is an Englishman and all that, except in this case it's not the mid day sun, it's a storm.
We've got enough damp weather around the UK without you putting a dampner on our sense of humour ta very muchly.

BTW....the above is Brit sense of humour and in no way should be interpreted as a personal slight on your good self. Thank you.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ok, I have tried about a hundred times to get my videos to embed. So...

www.youtube.com...

Hopefully this ought to take you guys to my channel on the tubes. And yes, I dont care that I have used my real ident as my channel name.

Please feel free to poke about the six or so vids I have posted from today. I would point you all toward the video entitled "Extremely Blustery Sunday 27th October 2013". Not much to see, but by God can you hear the din!

On Saturday evening, I went to my friends place, and hung out. The wind had really not started to kick off that badly by that point at all, but its closer to the sort of places which would have shown up the windy conditions awfully strongly, were there to be any. Things did start to get a bit breezier later on in the evening.

Sunday morning however, saw much more movement in the trees there, and a considerable uptick in the feel of the wind. However, the most damage I saw all day, was a single bin sack, that had fallen off of a stack of them next to an industrial sized bin. Frankly, aside from the seafront stuff, everything I shot video and photograph wise was bloody tedious.

However, tonight things ought to be kicking off quite heavily, if they are going to at all around here, so perhaps this evening I will get something worth watching. Thus far, aside from some pretty hefty buffeting on the seafront, things are not going nearly as bonkers as they could be!

Apologies once again, for the fact that for no good reason, my youtube videos refuse to embed no matter what tom foolery I apply to them.

edit on 27-10-2013 by TrueBrit because: grammar and all that stuff :S

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Good luck tonight, and keep your head down man!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I feel I ought to clarify that I prepared our home for the atmospheric assault on Friday and Saturday during the day, and I assisted my friend in her preperations just before we took a little trip around the borough to see what was happening out and about.

I would not walk about all over the borough if I had important things to be doing to prepare for the comming malestrom. That would be ridiculous, and as mad as I might be, I am not the sort of fellow to leave hearth and home in an endangered state, while I swan about with a camera. I have my torch in case of power failure, sleeping bags for heating failure, I have a tent ready to go if some random debris makes a hole in our building somehow, and I have made every preperation that I can. We have food that we can eat without cooking, we have board games, flashlights and candles. It is all covered.

It is vitally important to be prepared when one is to encounter serious manifestations of the fury of nature. That goes for ones dwelling, AND ones person. If the storm DOES hit our little slice of the UK when its predicted to, I have immediate access to weatherproofs, big rubber boots with steel caps (because you never know) a helmet to protect against torpedoing crap from the street, aviator googles to keep the little bits of grit and rubbish, that are often propelled on high winds, out of my eyeballs. It is covered.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

Keep my head down? I was asleep the last time something this interesting happened around here! I intend to stay awake all night, and the moment this thing gets hairy, I am going to don weatherproofs and take myself out of doors. I will try and update things as the evening progresses. Do not fret though. I will be as sensible as I am capable of being during such an interesting event!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

We hope you and other ATS'ers affected by this storm stay safe and sound. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

well have fun then! Don those rubbers and get wet sir!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kingofyo1

I love crazy weather.

I am seeing on the BBC that the storm IS comming in. Cornwall allegedly being hit by torrential rain, as well as Plymouth and surrounding areas. Lots of road closures, which I imagine will be rolling across the nation as the evening progresses.

Forecast for my area currently looks pretty weak. Highest predicted wind round my way over the course of the evening, and tomorrow morning looks like being forty something miles per hour. On the one hand, I hope that my people out there, and everyone in the path of this thing remain safe, that damage is light, that disruption is minimal.

On the other hand, I would be deeply dissapointed if by the time it reaches us, here in Essex, the storm manages to have spent itself on everywhere else. Mind you, we are on the East coast, so perhaps things will not be as interesting as they might otherwise be. Fingers crossed either way.

As I said, updates will be made as and when the situation changes.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I doubt very much you are going to see anything of a gargantuan nature on the east coast, this is and always was a south-west event.

I think your in the "very windy with heavy rain" bracket rather than the "hurricane force wind & torrential rain" zone.

Have fun anyways

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The winds were so cold yesterday in PA, that I bought a new coat online. LOL.... I am sooo very tired of being cold. Oh and I accidentally bought a 0 degree coat when I wanted a -20 degree coat. Arrrghhhhh... Does anyone else have just a 0 degree coat? Do you feel absolutely zero cold in this? It is a 650 fill goose down. Will this be warm enough or should I hurry and cancel my order? Do the temperture ratings hold true? My last coat was a North Face and I froze in it.

edit on 27-10-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Well, I would be inclined to agree with you, but I hope its not going to be tedious, because then I will have stayed up for nothing. We are just now getting pretty serious rain, and I think I hear pulsing in the general murmur of it hitting our front windows, which means it's being driven by hard watfts of air. Nothing drastic enough to warrant me getting dressed up in all me clobber for though, so I will wait and see how bad it gets.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I tend to ignore the rating of individual clothing items, and just put together a many layered outfit for when I'm out and about in very cold weather. Combats with basic thermal under trousers, thermal undershirt, t-shirt, sweater, fleece, padded waistcoat, leather trench coat, neoprene hood, over which I place a hardened plastic helmet with my aviator goggles attached to it, and a bandana over my mouth to keep the cold wind from scouring my throat. Oh and thick leather gloves. Cap that lot off with knee protectors and chains around my boots, for gripping the ice, and that's pretty much my cold winter gear.

I do get some hilarious looks in winter!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Lordy be what am I doing here wIth all these double posts? Must not be my mouse at home because I am on my Ipad right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by elouina

I tend to ignore the rating of individual clothing items, and just put together a many layered outfit for when I'm out and about in very cold weather. Combats with basic thermal under trousers, thermal undershirt, t-shirt, sweater, fleece, padded waistcoat, leather trench coat, neoprene hood, over which I place a hardened plastic helmet with my aviator goggles attached to it, and a bandana over my mouth to keep the cold wind from scouring my throat. Oh and thick leather gloves. Cap that lot off with knee protectors and chains around my boots, for gripping the ice, and that's pretty much my cold winter gear.

I do get some hilarious looks in winter!

Now if only I could get away with this cool look at work (which is right next to a river BTW. More Brrrr.. Bleh...) I guess I better stock up on old lady sweaters. Lol...

I don't think I ever remember having such a vicously cold wind storm in October like we had yesteray. It was just awful! And it blew in my side windows which usually doesn't happen unless it is tornado weather.

Oh and thanx for your advice. I know you Uk folks get some nasty cold weather. Anyways, I have been following your thread.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Update:

The last two hours have been variations on fairly light but persistent rain, pushed by a brisk, but not apocalyptic wind.

The way things are shaping up, it will be after dawn before I expect to see or hear any more serious weather than that.

The late shift continues!

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

TrueBrit
Update:
The way things are shaping up, it will be after dawn before I expect to see or hear any more serious weather than that.

The late shift continues!

Best of luck man..Stay safe..

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The wind here has picked up in the last ten minutes. The gusts are making some noise out there, but I cannot get any good visual or audio from my camera. It's not a great night tool

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
only because,,its close too Halloween,,,legend has it that it was a night like tonight,, that ROME lost its 10th Legion,,too those Barrbarians,,called,,,,,,,BRITS!,,,ooooooohhhhhhhooooooo,,

and Picts/Germans/other asorted,,,Freedom from Roman Tax,,,lovers,,,but,, too continue,,the Greatest Storm ever seen,,was brewing,, and the Legions werte marching,,,longs linging of iron,,gold Eagles,, flasing in the Lightning,raveged sky's,,some said,, Thor himself,,
edit on 10/27/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Bad here too in the forest along the south, me and the kids are sat watching it out the back door with a cuppa.

Worst winds they've ever seen, can see the village being a bit of a mess tomorrow morning but nothing major.

CX.

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
www.abbeyroad.com...

This is the famous road crossing near the studios where The Beatles use to do their recordings, it's a live feed and as you can see there is not much going on, weather wise in North London.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join