It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oKAY so.... I made my own WINE...HERE'S THE VERDICT!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Lol.. youve discovered thaf sugar and yeast make alcohol.

Welcome to making beer...

Sort of..

Now, use a 20 litre tub and 6kg of sugar. Then try to type.

And no, a rice steamer and a garbage bag do not use to distill with.. seeing as you're new and that sounds like a good idea. Just in case...

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

AshleyD

Is it sweet? I am not a fan of sweet wines.

What happens if you leave the cup of sugar out?

Also, did you use red or white?

Lol, if you leave the sugar out, you get yeasty fruit juice.

He didnt make red or white. He made fruit flavoured alcohol. Pruno is similar, but they use raisins and tomato sauce for nutrients.

Wine is from grapes and takes many months. But making drinkable alcohol is heaps of fun and worth it..
If only i still drank...

;(
edit on 26-10-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
word of advice..... first time you try this... just have 1 glass tops. Trust me! don't over due it

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
ohhhhh man...... word to the wise. .... don't have more than 1 glass if you make this brew. seriouslyu. I had 2 glasses and I puked my guts out. I was so drunk. ahhh crap. awwhhhh pain!!! bad news. I'ts pretty potent. You won't regret 1 glass. 2 glasses you'll be in pain. 3 glasses you'll be lucky to make it. ahhhhh.. I'm just coming too. ahhh what a pain

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   

spartacus699
Now all i need is a facy bottle so if guest come over I can act all sophistocated and say "ya I mak emy own whine try this...".

Or get a fancy Decanter so they think you're into wine and are "posh" about it. Airating your wine may imprive it's taste....try putting it in a blender for 30 seconds....no kidding.

I guess I'm spoilt here in France. Wine can be the same price as bottled water, really. 1.20 euros for Bordeaux.

My house is surrounded on all 4 sides by vines, although the grapes are for Cognac blending for Martell, it's everywhere!

Have fun distilling.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

AshleyD

Thanks for sharing. It is legal to make homemade wine so I personally do not see a problem with the thread (but I may be wrong).

Something I have always wanted to try. I'd like to make a really nice bottle of it one day soon.

I thought we weren't allowed to post things such as [snip] but if a super moderator says it's ok looks like I have about a hundred threads to start.

edit on 26-10-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Ummm...forget it and forgive me for deleting

edit on 10/26/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Never mind, I'm drunk

edit on 10/26/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This thread reminded me of my Uncles experiment with making wine back 1989 ish
give or take a few years.
Wine making was a big part of my dad and my uncles life
since their father was Italian and had everything set up in his cool dirt basement
for years untouched since he had pasted in mid 80's.
So my uncle wanted try his hand at White Zifandel aka WHITE LIGHTENING and me being the
wine lover I am agreed to take a jug home and sample.
Well the first glass tasted like rocket fuel ...well what I would say rocket fuel would taste like
and I am only talking the small juice glass which I was brought up drinking wine out of. Then your second small glass tasted like one of the fine wines of the Napa Valley..... The 3rd small glass well...... Wonder Women comes to mind here. I won't go into it, but I wasn't allowed to indulge in a 4th glass.
Since no one could get past the taste of the first glass I was awarded 8 large jugs of wine

They lasted about 2 years, but they were the best 2 years of my life (ha ha ) kidding

My uncle has since past the beginning of this year and we drank White Zif, sadly it wasn't his. Fond memories!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
good for you.. this rocks.

I have been making my own wines and mead and lagers for years, its the only way to go... one thing to invest in a cheap airlock... only a coupla bucks and it wont let bad mold in with the good mold

www.midwestsupplies.com... q0tLoCFc9i7AodqkAAbg

and a glass gallon jug would be best for fermentation..(I use a 6 gallon carboy).. glass cleans well and doesn't transfer the flavors from one batch to the other like plastic does..mount the airlock in the cap or better yet get the small rubber stopper for it and a touch of boiled water inside and your rolling..someone above asked about the sugar you really don't need it, the fruit juice has natural sugars which the yeast will react to for your alcohol.. you can add sugar or dextrose to flavor or for headaches.. more sweet, more pain in the am..

I used to use the frozen concentrates for a base when I first started out, as long as long as it's not a citrus you will find these even cheaper than the premade grape juice bottles.. best to boil it all together for 10-15 minutes and let cool to room temp before "casting the yeast".. boiling kills off the bad bacteria, after all you are making a form of mold, it's best to make the one you want
after the first sixteen or so days remove from fermenting container an rebottle into something else.. you will have yeast and sediment left over you can filter it out but my grandpa (he lived to 103, and taught me to brew) told me that the leftover sediment was good for your intestines and stomach (probiotics..??) I have always just stirred it in and drank it with.. I only use all natural local honeys and fruits from my local farmers market (a juicer is a must) for my brews ..ps keep in a "semi warm dark place" while fermenting it will react faster and be more complete say 60-70 degrees, and no sunlight as it will kill your yeast off and that's a bad thing...

buy some champagne yeast from a brewers supply (with the airlock).. it's cheap a dollar or so for the dry powder packets and you can kick the alcohol content up to 18-23% saki yeasts can go to 30%..rock on with this SHTF survival skill.. how much do you think liquor and wines will be worth after..

on the bottle & waiting to be consumed..

blueberry white devil weed mead ..2 years and counting @ 24% (it gets better/stronger the longer you let stand)
raspberry pilsner ..@ 19% last check (about a year racked)
blood orange, pineapple vanilla mead (about 18 months racked)
blackstrap sorghum molasses lager.. just bottled yummy
peach concentrate, fresh pear cinnamon wine ..in the fermenter just bubbling away

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
oh man I'm just coming too. I think that stuff must be at very least 15%. So I had over 2 very full glasses. I was so tanked. Ahhhhh bad idea. I hate getting drunk. I usually at worst get a serious buzz. But I like to avoid getting drunk. I can't stand it. Ya wow potent! awhhh. Who knew.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

(edit.. oops AshleyD) above asked about the sugar you really don't need it, the fruit juice has natural sugars which the yeast will react to for your alcohol.. you can add sugar or dextrose to flavor or for headaches.. more sweet, more pain in the am..

avoid refined white sugar like the plague.. besides you really don't need it unless your chosen base has no natural sugars..(very, very rare even cauliflower and jalapenos have natural sugars) and to answer your question if it's legal just ck with your local homebrew place or try to ck your jurisdiction online, they will let you know if it's legal in your area. some counties in tennesse are considered "dry" yet they allow homebrewers to make as much as 30 gallons a year for personal use of course..!! yet I believe alabama still doesn't allow it or just recently changed the law..order a mr beer kit online and see if the local cops don't kick in your door..(which I doubt cause I sent one to my bro in Al about five years ago and he's been brewing ever since) the funny thing is I make a ton of beer/wine yet I rarely if ever drink, but all my friends and family get hooked up around xmas and birhdays. I print my own labels and use half gallon "growlers" to finish.. carbonation is easy just add a "little sugar" to your fermented product before you transfer to another bottle and cap tightly. the new sugars will reactive the yeast and with the cap on Co will build internally.. cap tightly, cool dark place and your in business.!!!! use the plastic caps and they can be rewashed with the growlers and be reused over and over again

The way I see it is there is no reason everyone shouldn't learn and refine to valuable skillset..
I've done tomato wines, dandelion wines, a ton of veggie wines and lagers, mildly alcoholic salsas, healing natural herb tinctures and poultices..almost every fruit and more than a few veggies and herbs contain their own natural sugars that are reactive to yeast

ohhhhh man...... word to the wise. .... don't have more than 1 glass if you make this brew. seriouslyu. I had 2 glasses and I puked my guts out. I was so drunk. ahhh crap. awwhhhh pain!!! bad news. I'ts pretty potent. You won't regret 1 glass. 2 glasses you'll be in pain. 3 glasses you'll be lucky to make it. ahhhhh.. I'm just coming too. ahhh what a pain

two glasses.. big gulp glasses or wine glasses..?? your avatar shows a big tough looking guy..??
either you weigh like 80lbs and haven't taken a drink in years or you didn't eat anything yesterday and used the big gulp cups..

a lot of extra sugars added before fermenting esp. that white "crap" will give you the sugar high combined with the alcohol buzz followed by the hangover feeling the next day ie; thunderbird, maddog, boones farm, night train type wines with processed sugar and artificial flavorings will get you buzzed as piss but watch out for the next day.. hence your body rejecting it (probably the reason you puked).. sorry bro

there is a possibility of contamination too with out the airlock the yeast concoction naturally expands and contracts with temperature variations there by drawing in some of the bad stuff which also feeds on sugars..??
hence your body rejecting it.. (probably not the reason you puked), as you more than likely would have started throwing up much sooner..

unless of course you poured those two big gulps into a beer bong and chugged it then you actually are badmofo..

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

great stuff man.

When I watched the video, I couldnt help but think of that comedy movie about prison....."would you like some merlot? I make it in the toilet"....lol

You are on the right track man. Keep it up and go to different winery websites. They wont give away trade secrets but their selling points usually are techniques they employ which arent too hard to replicate on a small scale.

There are allot of italians in my old neighborhood that made wine all the time. They would buy different grapes until they found the right ones for their home set up.

You can buy your own press, though making one is REALLY simple and you can always just keep improving on it.

Make a couple, small, medium and large. Different grapes will suit your production and your taste more than others.

Also getting a hold of a small barrel to mature it in, or two one for fermentation made out of metal (aluminum) preferably with a built in set up you can stir easily every 3 days or so, and another made out of wood for maturing.

But just keep going. You will eventually make great wine that will blow your top off....

Kudos man!

edit on 10 26 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Reminds me of my Um Bongo wine...

5 cartons of Um Bongo.
Brew bag
Sugar
Brewers yeast
Warm water.

Mix it all up leave for a few weeks until nearly clear...get rat arsed

Oh and for you guys who do not know what Um Bongo is here is the ad from the early 80's.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Oh and on a unrelated note Damn you Sparty introducing me to this song.

Must of played it 30 times now lolol.

Great to drink too.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Hey there!
Been making country wine from local fruit for some time now...
Was taught by a friend who has at least 50 gallons going most of the time.
Good wine really takes at least a year to age, I'd suggest checking out this site:
Winemaking
Tons of good recipes.

Now if you want to make a great drink that is ready in just a few months, make some Mead. Originated in Ethiopia, but is well known as 'The Viking Drink'. This site has tons of good recipes. For your first batch I would suggest the Joe's Ancient Orange. I juiced-up the recipe a bit and added some Clove, Cinnamon and Red Ginseng Extract. I bottled some up and named it 'Thor's Hammer' and made some fancy labels. My friends absolutely loved it. Careful though, Mead hangovers are killer...
GotMead

edit on 26-10-2013 by sageturkey because: Add

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Me and my brother have been making our own wine for years. Our 1 golden rule. Never pay for the ingredients, only suger. You can make wine out of virtually anything out of the country or hedgerows. Want to make orange wine? great because the oranges have to be mouldy so greengrocers give them away. The very best vwine, imo, is parsnip wine. Some apple wine, when made correctly, can taste like champagne. Look to the web for more recipes and you will have wine on the go 12 months of the year. I find it's best to brew about a gallon minimum a time. Also if you want to do other things(secret things) to your wine it's up to you.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

What secret things?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

It has to do with a boiler and coily pipes. Say no more.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crayzeed

Distilled wine?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join