It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A World without the Word God

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

By your reckoning, then, early man knew that the seasons were caused by the axial tilt of the Earth before they thought that the yearly harvest was in response to the dying-and-rising of figures like Dumuzi, Attis, Osiris, or Persephone.

No. They attributed such phenomena to those mythical figures, as you should have easily surmised from my earlier responses. I have to stop talking to you now, before I punch the monitor out of sheer aggravation and frustration.

edit on 29-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No. They attributed such phenomena to those mythical figures, as you should have easily surmised from my earlier responses. I have to stop talking to you now, before I punch the monitor out of sheer aggravation and frustration.

From your first reply, which can be found here:

Sure, we may have falsely attributed thunder to deities like Ishkur, Baal, and Thor; or wrongly assumed that the withering and return of the harvest was tied to the tragedy of Dumuzi, or the kidnap of Persephone; at the core though, belief in a race of divine and holy beings lead us to explore the mysteries of Nature, and to probe the depths of ourselves.

Still the other way around.

The "other way around" would mean that we first understood how the mysteries of Nature really worked, and then attributed those to deities.

Again I ask: what evidence can you present that ancient man knew the seasons were caused by the axial tilt of our planet before they believed it was the death and rebirth of a vegetation deity? Further, where in any of the dying-and-rising vegetation myths is there any hint of the real cause for the seasons?

Ancient man had no idea how the seasons worked, so they invented Dumuzi, Persephone, Ba'al, and the rest, until their curiosity overcame their fear and they sought the real explanations.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

The "other way around" would mean that we first understood how the mysteries of Nature really worked, and then attributed those to deities.

FOR THE LAST TIME:

Sure, we may have falsely attributed thunder to deities like Ishkur, Baal, and Thor; or wrongly assumed that the withering and return of the harvest was tied to the tragedy of Dumuzi, or the kidnap of Persephone; at the core though, belief in a race of divine and holy beings lead us to explore the mysteries of Nature, and to probe the depths of ourselves.

You are saying belief came first. Belief did not come first. Questions did. They wondered what the hell was going on and invented crap to explain it. When people begin to question things, they like to have answers. The first place fear spawns is the place that you recognize an unknown. What you don't know can kill you, so you struggle to fill that space any way you can. You can see it today. First questions, then belief. That's what I'M saying. You are NOT READING my posts, but this time you will...hopefully. Because I'm done explaining it. I don't mean to be rude or offensive, I've had an emotionally challenging day and I'm just not up for any redundancy. Have a good day. Sorry.

Over and out.
edit on 29-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
First questions, then belief. That's what I'M saying.

More brazen assumption.

. . . since . . . rather obviously . . . you weren't running around loose in your current bodily form way back then.

LOLOLOL.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Neither were you, so you can't tell me I'm wrong.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
God is a word that means different things to different sides and groups. But dictatorial concepts belong to one side, Love of Power, and irregardless of what they love, I don't give my power away. One doesn't have power to put people in their boxes, perceivably for the good or not in their mind.

At its root esoterically and will think in particularly negative way, it has certain coding, and they don't mean the Highest Love and Goodness in existence, but someone else.

But the Light code for God is Goodness. In its perceived meaning, not its root codings of language. Perceived meanings top everything. Intent is all.

I already use different words for God, but God is often included to be inclusive of all people, because when saying Love/Goodness, I mean the Highest Love/Goodness/Source/Creator/Source of Infinite Life/Consciousness in existence, the Biggest Tree to our branches or seeds.

God does not mean all that is. But there is some element there, and on that will suggest, if so, then there are parts of God that are insane, lost, psychopathic and quarantined in a kind of windows viral vault. The only problem I have with that is, we have free will, we are also infinite branches and can co-create, so one could question this ALL concept.

Because, God is the Good in you, the Love/Light/Consciousness/Inspiration/Guidance.

The Bad only happens when you shut that down and shrink that. You can half your spirit, infinitely. You still exist, but you're not operating out of your Good/Light/Spirit, when you do ego and power based things, when you harm others, when you can't think straight and get bogged down. Thats the opposite of what we call God/Goodness/Consciousness. Thats the shadow/gravity and "dark side". More machine than man, more instinct or body suit than consciousness, not able to choose or think, loss of freedom, fascist beehive (not to be confused with people freely choosing social equality and freedom, as the early Christians did and as heaven is).

So God is not all to me. God is only Love and Goodness and Higher Understanding of everyone, Intelligence, Expanded Awareness, More Light,..More Colors...More Love...More Empathy...More Intellect...More, progression of consciosuness and awareness unto infinity.

Shrinking and Progressing are not the same thing.

One could say, all is either God or machine. Machine being dense physical AI. No wonder Draco and DNA harvesting exists for those cut off from Light/Love/Goodness, for they have their machines to keep repairing, or they might just have to rethink their negativity and meditate/pray and take baby steps to turning it around and giving to others instead of taking. To grow up more, in Spirit/God size.
edit on 30-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Well considering that man, science, logic, ideology ect will always work hard to make itself god we might as well keep the idea of God out of their reach by ascribing the title to someone much greater.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting concept, but I do not think God is a toxic word. Arguing over the nature and presuming a creators intentions however is. I am curious how things are going to play out.

Oh and by no means is this a novel concept, we are in the process right now. Now if I could just remember how to fly...

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I can and do assert that you were/are wrong on such scores.

I believe the Authority Who was around.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

You are just arguing to argue, not because you have any real points to make. If that's all you have for me, then our conversation is over.
edit on 30-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
God refers to a power greater than us. We already see the effects when people believe themselves infaliable. Wars (blamed on God), are due to people thinking they are right and others are wrong. Does anyone believe this would change if that word did not exist? It would still happen as people always aspire to be more - so would always look to a model for this. The word would simply be replaced.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Works for me.

God and His Word will endure beyond all that you have learned about or conceived of.

A relationship with THE BOSS surpasses EVERYTHING else.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Looks like another dead end thread. Shame. I thought maybe this would turn into something interesting. See you around, guys.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KellyPrettyBear

Without the word God, there could be no way to create a devil.

evil still exists, is part of the animal in human nature. Many act and will continue to act like devils

Without the word God, there wouldn't be some grand flow-chart defined, where people who suck up to a God-concept created by men are at the top, and the people who have respect for nature are at the bottom.

Human nature creates gran flow-charts in everything regardless. Corporate ladder, military rank & gov branches, class division, racial division, etc

The words Heaven and Hell would lose their ridiculous meanings, as there would be no human created concept at the top; designed purely to dole out suffering to those who disagree with you

EVerything is concepts, illusions, ideas, even your very thread here.

If something exists, say a heaven/hell, then it exists regardless of what anyone thinks about it. In my case, I remember clearly that I pre-existed as a Soul prior to being born here, and tons of people have NDE's who get to glimpse the other side.

We don't see people glimpsing spaghetti monsters on the other side.

nor a human-designed concept to dole out heaven when it's unearned.

Your whole thread and all your points are human-designed concepts

But when the word God has those silly attributes baked into it, and then is used as a weapon to cause death and suffering, then the word is crap and needs to be discarded.

Get rid of the word "God" and human nature will find other concepts and words to use as weapons

It needs to be boycotted.

You've created your own illusion that the word "God" is a problem to you. But it is not a problem to others. Hence it is relative, and not absolute. You've created your own issues, problems, needs to boycott, where there are no issues, problems, and impossible to boycott.

Get rid of this word "God" and you will solve absolutely nothing. The problem is not in a word, but in unconscious human nature operating in concepts, illusions, and mental programming of various sorts.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
GOD, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God, God
GOD!!
Nope, not going anywhere. May as well get used to it.
Resolve your own issues before trying to force your beliefs on others as you claim others do.
Quad

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

muzzleflash
reply to post by signalfire

Proving which point?
That you get to dictate others choice of terminology?

That you think you can guilt trip me into it?

Dont think so. This ship is as cold as steel.

I have no guilt for pointing out your intolerance or the OP.

Anyone who thinks any word should be boycotted might as well get the book burning started.

Book burning will be a requirement to "purge" the word. What if some kid found the book in 200yrs and read the evil secret 3 letters?

Says the man intolerant of an idea. Wow, I never seen you so hostile and non-cryptic.

The same can go for the word #. To most including this site, its clearly a bad thing and sends a bad connotation. However, speaking generally and saying that "was #ing awesome!" Has a different context for those not so sensitive to the word. That said, the word # has still hurt and insulted many as did similar words.

To say that the same cant be said (only in reverse) for the word God is just down right silly. You are blindly defending the honor of a word as though you see some great evil threat. Relax.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

KellyPrettyBear
I made a post about how words get all these connotations
added onto them.. that bloats a simple concept, and turns
it into a monster.

I myself said nothing negative or judgmental about God
or God's followers.

And all this hate erupteted forth.

It makes me a little tearful.

I can't speak for Jesus, but there's one verse of the Bible
I can really appreciate; the shortest one:

Jesus wept.

KPB

People have agendas often times without even knowing it....

Which of course leads to one derailed thread after another. Many times people think they are derailing for the greater good, shocking huh?

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
My thought's based on the assumption that "what if god really didn't exist?" This is how I would feel if we knew for a fact god didn't exist. Don't turn this into a "well god does exist this is stupid" argument. This is me focusing on the negative stuff we would see uplifted (not saying there are not positives about religion).

I wish the word didn't exist. Think about how much life could gain if in the end God didn't exist, and we wasted no time on the concept of God or leading our lives and other's astray. Or, imagine the opposite. Say God did exist, but nobody had ever heard of him. It's sad either way you look at it.

Think of all the lives that would not have been lost, had the concept of God never been lifted. All of the wars that would have never taken place. The dark ages, where speaking out about science got you killed and no advancement in technology was prevalent. Then look at how much we progressed when science became something other than a death wish. Science led to discovery. Science may lead to prolonging life once earth is no longer habitable. If we take back those hundreds of years that we lost due to religion placing restraints on society, where would we be now? Would we already have discovered faster galactic travel or been able to reach out to the outer fringes of our galaxy. Or would we have already contacted other intelligent forms of life throughout the universe so that we can learn from them.

Now I look to my personal life. How many arguments would I not have had with my family because I truly didn't want to go to church because it was a waste of time for me. How many things could I have said that truly explained how I feel to the point where I don't have to worry about offending somebody's "unquestioning" belief in god. How many people made me feel guilty for not "living for god" when I was right all along. How many other important issues could humanity have focused on during a week without spending hours talking about a god. How many friendships have I lost (although I didn't turn my back to them or call them wrong) because I didn't believe in god. How many times could justice really have happened if we took matter into our own hands and not "let go and let god."

How dependent on ourselves could we be, if we didn't have to depend on "god"

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join