It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The plant still emits 10 million becquerels per hour into the atmosphere, according to Tepco"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
on page 2 of this NYT article:

www.nytimes.com...

i have not read that anywhere else before..... it's all been about waste water and not what is going out into the air.

the very last paragraph is also notable:

The magnitude of the recent spike in radiation, and the amounts of groundwater involved, have led Michio Aoyama, an oceanographer at a government research institute who is considered an authority on radiation in the sea, to conclude that radioactive cesium 137 may now be leaking into the Pacific at a rate of about 30 billion becquerels per year, or about three times as high as last year. He estimates that strontium 90 may be entering the Pacific at a similar rate.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Before Japan had nuclear power it relied heavily on world supply for energy demands. One of the things that spurred it's attempted conquest into other territories and had it participate in WWII. If this disaster reshapes how they use energy, it will be interesting to see how it develops.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Cesium 137 you say? Awww... That's no biggy. After all, it has a nice short 30 year half life ......errr....right?

Cesium 137′s half-life — the time it takes for half of a given amount of material to decay — is 30 years. In addition to that, cesium-137’s total ecological half-life — the time for half the cesium to disappear from the local environment through processes such as migration, weathering, and removal by organisms is also typically 30 years or less, but the amount of cesium in soil near Chernobyl isn’t decreasing nearly that fast. And scientists don’t know why.

It stands to reason that at some point the Ukrainian government would like to be able to use that land again, but the scientists have calculated that what they call cesium’s “ecological half-life” — the time for half the cesium to disappear from the local environment — is between 180 and 320 years.
Source: Wired Magazine

Oooopsy... Ya mean the science wasn't 100%? Who would have imagined that could happen?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

It does show people care - getting out there and doing some research. Oceanographers for sure won't let the effects from this remain silent. There was some news it was causing plants to grow like crazy off the West coast - going inland several hundred miles. If true that would mean it's in our vegetation and in the animals eating that vegetation. It doesn't dissipate but becomes concentrated in sea life from initial reports read. It also isn't like an X-ray. It is the stuff that is in it that is getting into the thyroids and central nervous systems of larger animals. Who knows what this will do to people....breathing it, eating it, drinking it, bathing in it?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Just when you think you know it all about radioactivity. I had no idea. Thanks for the update. Do you recall the release of Xenon-133 from the initial incident? Oh its harmless they all said. No more then an X-ray the MSM said. Well that Xe-133 transmutes into Cs-133 and then falls to the ground. Or the Xe-133 comes down in rainwater and transmutes into Cs-133. The daughter isotope of that is Barium. So we have to wait for the Xe-133 to decay into Cs-133. Then we get to wait on your timeline all over again.

I tried making this point at the time but it seems to be too complex for anyone to understand. Even I who have had a lot of tap water could see there is a problem here. I am not sure about the overall picture and what adding nuclear transmutation into this equation will do. However I am pretty sure it had something to do with making Chernobyl's fallout look like a smorgasbord. Anyhow that's gonna move things around.

I also think this is how it's managed to affect the west coast of the USA and the Ocean as much as it has, as well as Canada. What is your opinion on nuclear transmutation and how it will affect all of this?

And there is even more to it which makes it even more complicated.

To give an example, cesium 137 with a half-life of 30.17 years is transformed into cesium 136 with a half-life of 13 days.

Read more: www.physicsforums.com...

So it didn't really go anywhere. We would then have to track the transmutation of Cs-136. Good grief does this stuff ever go away?
edit on 25-10-2013 by Pimpintology because: he drinks tap water as previously stated

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Fuku is the real deal.

Pimpintology
Just when you think you know it all about radioactivity. I had no idea. Thanks for the update.

"Update": The most important word in your post so far. Updates are hardly offered by TPTB in this case leading to deeper and ever deeper suspicions about this entire event/sub-events.

Pimpintology
I tried making this point at the time but it seems to be too complex for anyone to understand.

You think TPTB don't understand this exactly? Brother, this is exactly what they're depending on. That and the short memory of sheople in general.

Pimpintology
I also think this is how it's managed to affect the west coast of the USA and the Ocean as much as it has, as well as Canada.

On the charts I've reviewed, Hawaii sits directly between the ocean's path of flow and Kali. While I have a hard time getting my mind around a direct oceanic flow : Japan -> Hawaii -> West Coast USA : I'll go with NOAA for now. Remember the molasses spill in Hawaii? Does that one have coverup/false flag written all over it yet? What about these mysterious sea creatures beaching themselves on the shores of Kalifornia? First Hawaii ... now Kali? Hmmmm ...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I am no expert in the field nor claim to be, but I do know that all this radioactive material can be processed to non-radioactive material in a matter of months. The knowledge and technology already exists, it's called a microwave. I suggest to the people that are interested and have extensive knowledge of microwaves to look into it. I'm not sure as to why it is being over looked. Maybe it is opening a can of worms in the future?
Does anyone here know this?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
All that radiation, coupled with the incalculable amount already dousing the planet, make is MUCH harder for one to express their consciousness through their body. At some point, some point very soon, it will no longer be possible for Human Beings to express their energy on the planet due to this. The results will be interesting and tragic on many levels. This was done, is being done, on purpose.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
eventually they are going to have to give us the straight scoop on what's going on with the fuel rods. that may be where the radiation that is airborne is coming from. i'm just glad that people are starting to talk about it more instead of sticking their head in the sand about it. the oceans are already becoming more acidic and adding radiation to it is going to kill off everything a little faster. i hate to think what we'll be seeing in 10 years.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

You know, there is something else that is a bit of a tangent ..but then, maybe not, too.

We've been watching, together here, the reports and documented cases of the high order marine mammals acting oddly and even suicidal in large numbers with a frequency around the world that has certainly gotten my attention. It happens, of course, without anything added. The numbers and frequency tho... Hmm..

Many of us also believe, very deeply, that man is NOT the only species on the planet capable of complex thought, reasoning and multi-layered communication of concepts/ideas to others in a group.

You mention the changing seas and it's a very valid point Fuku has contributed to now in immeasurable ways, if only regionally so far. However, we seem to assume the ocean is just full of swimming bits of dinner we haven't bothered to catch and cook yet with no more consideration given than that ..to what life THERE may understand and, yes, even think about what is happening here.

IF we have ANY accuracy in thinking Whales, Dolphins and other high order life IS intelligent in a meaningful way, they may well grasp what matters most about this, if not precisely why ... It's interesting to add as a secondary consideration to this whole debate.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

speaking of whales.... they've stopped talking:

www.vancouversun.com...

edit on 26-10-2013 by pasiphae because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

. . . a nuclear physicist stated to MSNBC International, on condition of anonymity, that the situation at Fukushima can best be described as an open air nuclear power plant in meltdown mode, with the cooling water being pumped directly into the ocean.

edit on 10/26/2013 by Lurker1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

(sigh)

Some stories...I really wish I didn't see. When I was a kid, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and all....I was taught in basic biology and what would be called environmental science today, there are index species to indicate disaster and/or coming collapse of our ecosystem.

On the low end... Bats, Frogs and Bees at the trifecta of life's annoying pests that we'd all die without having.

On the high end, Whales, Dolphins and a few specific bird species.

Back then...All seemed well too, so this was all purely academic to hear about and learn the ins and outs of precisely why those are index species and considered Canaries in our coal mine of life. Now? It's not academic ..and they're failing like classes I was in, warned would indicate coming collapse....if ever humans saw it coming to pass. Go figure, eh?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

the most telling part,,,too me, "Whales use sound to find each other,",,so if the Pods,dont wish too be found,,it's because thier is sickness in the community.
survival.means no contact,,but if it is due to, radioactivity,,well.

"unusually high mortality rate among pod matriarchs, ",,sorry i did not read that part yet.

females and radiation,,there is a reason, u dont get x-ray when u are pregnant.( DIRECTLY ON THE GROWING CHILD.)

before some says, x-rays are ok u know.
edit on 10/26/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

pasiphae
on page 2 of this NYT article:

www.nytimes.com...

i have not read that anywhere else before..... it's all been about waste water and not what is going out into the air.

the very last paragraph is also notable:

The magnitude of the recent spike in radiation, and the amounts of groundwater involved, have led Michio Aoyama, an oceanographer at a government research institute who is considered an authority on radiation in the sea, to conclude that radioactive cesium 137 may now be leaking into the Pacific at a rate of about 30 billion becquerels per year, or about three times as high as last year. He estimates that strontium 90 may be entering the Pacific at a similar rate.

Someone's units are off.
One raisin sized piece of Radium emits more Bq/second than that (3.7x10^10)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
@ Op
do you ever checked the Emission of a Fiesta-Ware Dish?

Problem is that we are, mostly all, without a Dimension,
10.000.000 Bq.à 24 Hours sounds a lot but is it really "a lot"?

Imo. it is Peanuts for a triple Melt-Down.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Instead of shilling peanuts, why don't you explain what 'bad' would be in your opinion. Or better yet, why not tell us what you're doing to clean the mess up. I 'am' curious.

ETA: I'd typically consider an uncontrollable radiation leak at a nuclear power plant bad, a reactor core meltdown beyond uh oh, but you did say 'triple meltdown' didn't you? I don't see, and haven't seen, any real progress. Didn't your government throw something out there about an ice wall? I thought ice had a tendency to melt ... and I felt like someone was shining me on. I also recall a major evacuation of US personnel to Korea when the SHTF with that plant, and I also recall everyone I knew over there finding jobs elsewhere ... permanently. But, that's just me.
edit on 26102013 by Snarl because: ETA

(post by Human0815 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

like this u mean?

only the peanuts are radioactice,,and the cores are the part in the middle?,,or are they the cherry on top?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
We estimate that alone in the first Month the Plant emit
ca. 520 pBq (520 multiplied times 10 times 15) incl. Noble Gases!

.In terms of contamination the most serious radionuclide has been caesium-137, which has a half-life of about 30 years.

Tepco said that approximately 10 PBq of this isotope was released to the air. Another 10 PBq of caesium-134 was also released to air, but it has lower contamination potential due to a shorter half life of only two years.

Noble gases amounting to 500 PBq were also released during the accident, but these do not represent a contamination risk or health issue away from the site because they are not biologically active, are quick to decay and disperse easily in the atmosphere.
Similarly, releases to sea have not resulted in contamination beyond the plant's immediate area because the mixing power of ocean currents has dispersed the substances beyond the limits of detection in seawater samples. Tepco estimated that 11 PBq of iodine-131, 3.6 PBq of caesium-137 and 3.5 PBq of caesium-134 were released.
Revisions

The first estimates made shortly after the accident put releases of iodine-131 at 130 PBq. This was raised in June 2011 to 160 PBq and the latest figures have it at 511 PBq.

For caesium-137, however, the estimates grew from an initial 6.1 PBq to 15 PBq but have now been revised downwardly to 13.6 PBq.

Source

edit on 26-10-2013 by Human0815 because: Source

edit on 26-10-2013 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join