It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can mods read your pms?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I saw this when I checked my pms:

Please Note: Your private communications between members is provided as a service by AboveTopSecret.com and are subject to review in the event we receive reports of messaging that may be outside the boundaries of the site Terms & Conditions. Abusive private messages may result in immediate account termination without warning or recourse.

Does that mean that mods can read your private pms?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I think the only way a mod could read one of your PM would be if a member were to forward an offending message to a mod.

If someone is stalking you online and using the PM system to harass you, the best thing would be to alert the mods and froward the offending PM to them. Don't bother responding to the trolls, let the mods take care of them.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I read a post once that said that SkepticOverlord was the only one who could read pms. That may have changed, but I think they would only do that if they received a complaint, or two. Best to keep to the T&C, just in case.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It was just a thought when I read that but as you say, if someone gets a pm that offends, then it is easy to just forward it to a mod to look over and take action....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Your PMs are all stored to a database. Anyone with access to that database could read your PMs.

Additionally, they might have a back end that allows certain mods with the appropriate privileges an interface to pull PMs.

In short, yes. Yes the mods can read your PMs.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

TinkerHaus
Your PMs are all stored to a database. Anyone with access to that database could read your PMs.

Additionally, they might have a back end that allows certain mods with the appropriate privileges an interface to pull PMs.

In short, yes. Yes the mods can read your PMs.

I think it is important to say that this site and the Mods/Bosses in general have an elevated respect for privacy and would only check out pms with due cause. mho

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
As per the Terms & Conditions:

16f.) Private Messages: You will not use the private messaging system to send mass messages to multiple member accounts. All private messages are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership. Violations will result in immediate account termination. You also agree that Private Messages are confidential. You will not post or publically display messages received from TAN, their agents, or any other members, in any way, without the written permission of the author. TAN, at their discretion, may review the content of your private messages when, and only when, complaints are received from the recipient(s) of your messages.

Only Admin or Owners have access and we do NOT ever go into PM's unless a member alleges abuse of the system.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

What if I had a complaint against you? could you then go in and read your own messages and somehow finish the complaint without other mods seeing the complaint?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

DaRAGE

What if I had a complaint against you? could you then go in and read your own messages and somehow finish the complaint without other mods seeing the complaint?

Nope, nobody but ATS Admin Or Owners have access to the PM system. I would not be able to do anything to 'save' myself if I was abusing the system, as the PM's would be recorded in both yours and my inbox/outbox.

Also, whenever you file a complaint it's visible to all staff and actions are only taken after a consensus has been reached among several staff.

~Tenth
edit on 10/25/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

DaRAGE

THat would be like a "mod-ception"....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Most of my PM's are from the Mods anyway I'm sure they know what they sent, ow, ow, ow

2nd

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Do you realy think the mods DONT read the u2u's from members? With that said, mods are regular folk just like you & I. Some with a hell of alot of time on their hands. And probally some with a sordid agenda. Power corrupts all who achieve it. And the mods have power over the members. The problem I have is it's a conspiracy site with more T&C than any site Ive ever seen. If we are in fact going to deny ignorance, then open ALL TOPICS up for discussion. As in all the ones you now deny.That would be give the motto Deny Ignorance alittle more meaning.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Thank you for your accusations. It's nice to see that regardless of having no evidence, some still choose to think we are acting with nefarious intent for no other reason than our own bemusement.

You'd think if that was true, than those who were promoted to staff at some point, would cry foul and throw our dirty laundry into the open, exposing all our plans and schemes right?

Funny how that's never happened.

But, alas, some will always choose to think, and perhaps it is by nature being conspiracy orientated, that everything is a conspiracy and everybody with a single iota of 'power' ( which here amounts to a few buttons, which we use to enforce a set a rules that the membership agreed to in the first place) is just out to abuse it.

Too bad for them.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

openyourmind1262
Do you realy think the mods DONT read the u2u's from members? With that said, mods are regular folk just like you & I. Some with a hell of alot of time on their hands. And probally some with a sordid agenda. Power corrupts all who achieve it. And the mods have power over the members. The problem I have is it's a conspiracy site with more T&C than any site Ive ever seen. If we are in fact going to deny ignorance, then open ALL TOPICS up for discussion. As in all the ones you now deny.That would be give the motto Deny Ignorance alittle more meaning.

Yes I really think that. I know several of them and their character is grade A. They are upright, forthright people. They have no power really, they monitor the site for us, not themselves. They are busy, they could care less about anyone's personal life unless it causes someone on here problems.
edit on 25-10-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

What evidence? If we had it and tried to post it , low & behold it would violate T&C, and no one would see it regardless.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

openyourmind1262

What evidence? If we had it and tried to post it , low & behold it would violate T&C, and no one would see it regardless.

In all seriousness, if you think that I, or some other moderator has the time between our RL schedules and work we do here for free, to start perusing member inboxes looking for drama or things to action, well you'd be wrong and I guess there's nothing I can say that would change that.

ETA: as the Question in the OP was answered, this thread is now closed.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

join