Damage Control Stupidity: Avian flu Found in NSW Egg Farm Not Bird Flu

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Avian flu Found in NSW Egg Farm Not Bird Flu

Duh. Avian means bird.

The term "avian" is derived from the Latin word "Aves", which is the scientific class for all bird species. To say that something is "avian" imparts that it relates or pertains to birds in some way.

...and it's only gonna get stupider.

Yeah, I know I should say "more stupid." Just tryin' ta fit in.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I thought the new bad guy on the flu scene was H7N1 or H7N9? I know H7N1 was found across Europe. I hope this is just another case of the reporter not bothering to do any basic research and thinking he or she knows it all and not willful suppression of information.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

soficrow
Avian flu Found in NSW Egg Farm Not Bird Flu[/url]

Duh. Avian means bird.

Much as I'm usually one of the first to call the media names and declare to the world how badly they do their job, I think in this case the headline actually works.

Its not the job of a headline to be scientifically accurate, but instead to inform the reader of the content of the story.

Bird Flu, those two words together, is a term well known to the public. The headline clearly states that the avian flu found is not the bird flu the public knows of.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

H5N1 is still very much a player. True, Replikins says H7N9 is most likely to go pandemic - but - they're hedging their bets and creating a vaccine for H5N1 too. H5N1 is endemic in Asia and now, H7N9 looks to have at least an animal reservoir - so they're likely exchanging genetic information.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yippee! One of these days, we're going to win the lottery all over again just like with Spanish Flu. Ah well, we're stocked to self-quarantine, and I keep my ear to the ground on these things. The flu vaccines are nice and all, but they're hardly fool-proof.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Sorry, don't agree. The avian flu IS a bird flu. Nothing is accomplished by keeping people ignorant and supporting their shortcomings rather than building their strengths. The headline could read "Avian Flu Found NOT Deadly Bird Flu" or some such.

new topics

top topics

join