It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upside Down Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Okay so, I have trouble with my fire burning out too quickly in the fireplace and I was searching around for answers and found this. This works in fireplaces and outside like MAGIC. Your fire will burn 3x as long and much hotter. It requires some patience you wont get big flames instantly but it works!

The idea is to stack your big logs at the bottom right beside each other, then layer decreasing in size criss cross making sure they are tight together. At the top you pile on your kindling, newspaper, leaves, what have you. This works in a fireplace and also outside. I was able to do it in my fireplace without the grate and no space between logs. Amazing!

This creates embers on top, which trickle down to each layer of wood. When you first start it you are not going to get instant flames, it takes a bit to start up, but when it does it works like a charm! You also don't have to worry about constantly tending to the fire, it takes care of itself. Of course as always, keep an eye on your fire especially outside for safety purposes.

Try it out and tell me how it goes!

Source

edit on 25-10-2013 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yes, you need air for fire to burn...that is why you criss cross the logs to get some space allowing for oxygen....also, if you use newspaper...don't ball it up, twist it instead. Like a tube.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yeah it's "Upside down" because you start it from the top and not the bottom. SUPER COOL!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's really simple. The fire tetrahedron is what makes fire burn. Heat, Fuel, Oxygen, and a chemical chain reaction. You have the oxygen by spacing out the logs, the heat and fuel slowly progresses as the fire travels where the fuel is (the thicker blocks of wood). Fire will always travel where the fuel is if it has enough heat and oxygen. science at it's best. I love watching these campfires burn.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Building a nice fire is one of those things that I pride myself on. It's tied to my manliness. Don't take this away from me Val!

Ladies of ATS, if you suggest your man build a fire this way, make sure to pepper in the self esteem boosters. 'Hey honey, I saw this thing about starting a fire that I didn't believe, but if anyone could do it this way it's you!". Men of ATS, take credit for inventing a new way to make an awesome fire.

This may just spark baby boom 2.0. ಠ_ಠ

BrownChickenBrownCow. Nst nst nst.

new topics

top topics

join