It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Culture: Is it Bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
the rise of popculture, has lcreated a new industry, the rise and fall of new stars, our ever fascination with the lives of the rich and famous in hollywood, the paris hilton types. (the slutty ones). the britney spears type. and others of her ilk. we worship the hiphop gangsters, we admired and lap after their big fancy ``cribs`` on mtv. But we turned our noses when we see poverty and hunger in places such as burkino faso, haiti, india, and some parts right in america. is pop culture (the question now to be asked.) bad? or good?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
the most evil entity to grace gods earth, that is the popular fixation with all things "cool" unknowingly forging a generation of dimwits, creating your own image of what is cool is far more rewarding then mimicking what others do. deny pop culture

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Its just a gimmick to sell stuff.
In my opinion all kinds of economic-mediated "culture" are equivalent in this respect.
Pop culture is no worse than elitist forms of culture.
The potential market for culture (trash) is segmented and then each one is advantage of, according to personality profile.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't like the current pop culture. I prefer people who have their own unique personalities and styles not dependent on what they hear or see in the media.
Alot of you guys meet my criteria here on ATS.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
but what do you think the effect of pop culture is having on the young generation, I am a member of that generation. I am 21 years. we see (my peers) the cribs of the gangsters and flashy stars on mtv. and e hollywood true story and glossy magazines. how do we stop ourselves form immitating the lifestyle of these crackheads.?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
One question I haven't been able to solve with the younger members of my family: where does all this trash really come from?
Theory 1: it is a byproduct that has been steadily accumulating.
(But it's the mainstream, so it isn't just a byproduct)
Theory 2: it is a tradition that is shared.
(Is it a tradition to feel bad?)
Theory 3: there is a fixed demand at every point in time.
(Perhaps, but is has been blown out of proportion)
Theory 4: there is a source somewhere.

In this case, the source of pop culture would be mainly personal problems and world problems, which then get converted into works of "art". The reason why the music comes garbled is because these things are unspeakable in clear terms. So the result is more a certain general sense of "pain", like "doctor, I have some pain here".

Here is a nice song. It's called "Trash":

Trash

How did it start?
Well I don't know
I just feel the craving
I see flesh and it smells fresh
and it's just there for the taking
These little girls,
they make me feel so goddam exhilerated
I fill them up, I can't give it up
The pain, I'm just erasing

I tell my lies, and I despise
every second I'm with you
So I run away
and you still stay
So what the # is with you?

Your feelings
I can't help but rape them
I'm sorry, I don't feel the same
My heart inside is constantly hating
I'm sorry, I just throw you away

I don't know why I'm so #ing cold
I don't know why its hurts me
All I wanna is get with you
and make the pain go away
Why do I have a conscience?
All it does is # with me
Why do I have this torment?
All I wanna do is # it away

So I run away
and you still stay
Your feelings

So I run away
and you still stay

Your feelings

Just throw you away

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The rise of popular culture and it domainance especially on mainland america has and is partly to blame for the rise of bankruptcies and other things sorted out as a state of an economic whirlwind. When the prosperitymyth, goes on and is portrayed on television about and splashed on the gossip magazines, tabloids. About the spending spree of the celebrities. It gives people an indulgence, to go and spend also. Even if they have to max out their credit cards, and have 16 credit cards to their name. and be bankrupt. If the stars can declare themselves bankrupt after a few years , why can't we do the same? why not? hmm...... the rest of america is in debt, but man they are spending it as it will never go out of style(*greenback) the morals they are spreading, whne the likes of paris hilton , could be my teenage sister's role model? hmm. And we wonder why our teenagers (girls) are becoming more sluttier by the minute. but the lies that always spread about , is this a nobody can make it in tinseltown, the music world, so why can't we? what's wrong with this notion?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Pop, rock, rap culture are bad influence to the youth.
It prompts a moral decay to our soicety. The same can be said about hollywood, the place were norm's, are expressed to the public.

Western nation's have embraced the love of money, and will do anything to get it. Immorality, sex aslong as they can make money.

Soceity is what dicates at what age teen's should have sex. If they should commit immoral act's with their own sex. If they should commit adultery. aka dump/divorce. If they should take drug's.

Society is controled by these big cooperations, who dicate on how the youth should think.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
OK - not to pick on one paticular trend, but what the hell is with the "dirty south" rap thing?

I mean, I love a lot of hip hop and rap, and can really apreciate the lyrical skill involved in such, but this stuff is just truelly bad!

I mean, think about it this way - how stupid will some people feel in 10 years when they see some camedian making fun of lil John.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
what's the alternative for youths in this popculture genre? should people aspire or strive to become entertainers, like the impression hollywood media hype impresses on our minds? what is the alternative?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   

what is the alternative?

simple my good friend

drugs or books

new topics

top topics

join