It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police raid home for 3D printed gun parts......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
.....except they arent. BBC News

The component suspected as being a magazine for a gun was in fact a "spool holder" for the 3D printer, he added.

Even if they were this is a terrible precedent.

"Clearly the fact we have seized a 3D printer and have intelligence about the possible production of a weapon using this technology is of concern. It is prudent we establish exactly what these parts can be used for and whether they pose any threat."

Literally anything, anything, can be a part of a functioning weapon or a weapon itself.

Like watching a bunch of Neanderthals react to the presentation of a Bic lighter.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
3d guns in the UK isnt really much of a problem even if they [the gun parts] had been there - getting hold of bullets is just the same as a gun or explosives.

Unless you got some highly illegal and suspicious connections, if you can get the bullets you may as well get a gun the same path rather than risk loading bullets into a plastic gun and it exploding firing a million tiny shards of sharp plastic into your face.
edit on 25-10-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
According to what others are saying elsewhere, the two parts shown in that news item are:

An alternative “Replicator 2 Extruder Upgrade”
link

and a

Makerbot 'M' logo spool holder (for skinny hole + wider spools)
link

But what I'd actually like to know is why that specific guy was raided in the first place. Why him? Had the NSA been keeping track of the data files on his computer?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

That's not true. They sell rifle and shotgun shells. I'm sure anyone over a certain age can buy them.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

For the record I said this was coming the second I heard about the 3d gun project. Eventually the world will have to accept that anyone and everyone can have a gun OR ban 3d printers.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

alfa1

But what I'd actually like to know is why that specific guy was raided in the first place. Why him? Had the NSA been keeping track of the data files on his computer?

From an article in the Independent:

The MakerBot Replicator 2 printer was seized during a raid on a workshop in Baguley, Greater Manchester on Thursday as part of an operation targeting organised crime.
Independent

Doesnt really clear anything up.

...insisted they were acting on legitimate intelligence and had been issued with a warrant by a magistrate

Something else lovely is this article says the suspect is a member of a gun club. Which means he's on a list. You know, one of those lists that everyone swears the US should have. A list that nobody can explain how it would be able to stop crime and insist it would never be used to attack anyone.

As wonderfully exemplified in this case.
edit on 25-10-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: fix link

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
3D printers are only going to get better. With better printers, comes better products. Guns have already been established as a viable produce that these printers can make. Therefore the guns produced are going to get better and better.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
3D printers are only going to get better. With better printers, comes better products. Guns have already been established as a viable produce that these printers can make. Therefore the guns produced are going to get better and better.

Do you think that when they develop to a certain level of strength/material use they will be restricted in sale?

It can make very difficult skilled construct - as easy as filling up the material, loading the program and hitting "start".

Obviously you can make a gun at home if you have the right tools, and materials but also a wide level of very precise skills. So while easily doable, would take a very large amount of investment in time overall to achieve.

I can see 3D printers getting classifications based on the quality, strength and degree of accuracy to keep the printers capable of making working safe guns and weapons in restricted and monitored hands.

Its going to be an interesting technology to watch evolve, since its changing so fast that its applications and limits arnt even full understood let alone controlled. Unlike say, a hammer, or a wood saw etc

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I know people who have built their own 3D printers. In fact they started a business where they sell them. Want to know how they make more now? They print the parts. That is the future. Police trying to restrict this would be like sticking your finger in a hole the size of your fist in a dam. You aren't going to stop anything and you're going to look foolish doing it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

wow, that i somehow didnt see coming - printing 3D printer parts from a 3d printer! of course!

So it can grow like an intelligently designed virus, making more coping and improving itself.

Perhaps sky net is not just a computer, but a self aware, self upgrading 3D printer out of control! Given enough parts and techniques it could overcome anything with the help of an assembly robot. Freaky thought actually.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Biigs

I know people who have built their own 3D printers. In fact they started a business where they sell them. Want to know how they make more now? They print the parts. That is the future. Police trying to restrict this would be like sticking your finger in a hole the size of your fist in a dam. You aren't going to stop anything and you're going to look foolish doing it.

Just like the war on drugs?

It is the governments job to look foolish.

new topics

top topics

join