It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why couple has called time on turning the clocks back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Why couple has called time on turning the clocks back

A thrifty couple will not be putting their clocks back this weekend - because it saves money on their energy bills. Retired John and Janys Warren, from St Georges near Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, live 'in the future' an hour ahead of everybody else and save a third on their gas and electricity bills. The couple stopped putting their clocks back five years ago when they realised the darker and shorter days were triggering John's headaches. Living on British Summer Time all year round meant his headache's eased, they could enjoy an extra hour of daylight and save money. Janys, 69, said: "We have lower fuel bills and far more usable daylight hours with evenings not seeming endless. "We don't put the heating on until we get up and by then it is warmer anyway. We've saved about one third on our heating and lighting bills.

i am fed up with clocks going back and forward every year all the time...what do others think?

uk.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 25-10-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

What a cool protest..maybe you dont see it that way.....awesome idea. Way to go.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
First, thanks for the heads up about the pesky time change...just as well I only have one clock!
Still trying to get my head round how you save on your fuel bills.

Don't think this idea would go down well with any ones employer though....just as well I'm 'self'

Booger...no that wont work for me either...still have to get my lad up for school

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Here in the US, it is next weekend. But I think it is stupid that we do it. Wasn't it started because of the farmers or something?
I would love to not do it, but yeah, the boss wouldn't like that so much.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
think it is this sunday the clocks go back an hour.....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Personally, I HATE it.

As a middle-aged woman who has seasonal depression (low-level), it is hard enough to get enough sunlight to keep me afloat. I am normally outside at least part of every day, and in winter, I have a big sunny window that faces south, so I can sit in the sun without being "outside" -

but there is also a circadian rhythm thing that gets disrupted. Studies have shown that the "time change" definitely affects people - it can take MONTHS to adjust to it.
Daylight Saving Time may bring health problems

This was from three years ago. There has been extensive research done since that time proving it disrupts the body and mind.

Kazakhstan abolished the time change after a survey found 51 percent of Kazakhs reacted badly to it.
After the Kazakh winter, the appearance of sunshine alone is probably enough for most of them. It found that traffic accidents actually increased with the time change.

A Swedish study suggested that on the Monday after the time-change, accidents increased because people had lost an hour's sleep over the weekend.

More seriously, there is our health and our body clocks.

Dr Marc Schlosberg of the Washington Hospital-Sleep Center says the Circadian rhythm is set by a clock inside our brain called the hypothalamus which tells us when to go to sleep and when to wake up in the morning.

Sunrise directs the body to release various "wakeful" hormones, which boost metabolism, and body temperature.
Some studies have suggested that the disruption to our rhythms have caused a higher rate of heart attacks. Research published in 2008 in the New England Journal of Medicine found the incidence of heart attack "was significantly increased for the first 3 weekdays after the transition to daylight saving time in the spring" -- some 5 percent. The study used 20 years of data from Sweden.

And a study of Australian statistics over three decades suggests that suicide rates - especially among men - increase after the time-change, concluding "small shifts in diurnal rhythms are potentially destabilizing in vulnerable individuals."

When I was in the process of "menopause" (not quite there yet, about halfway through), and was working full-time, I felt like someone else for a few weeks after the stupid time-change.

I say GET RID OF IT. Yeah, I like the longer evenings in summertime, and earlier dawn in winter, but - can't we just CHOOSE ONE and stick with it?

Gha.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Now look here ... you really mustn't rock the boat.
Just because a couple of crazy anarchists in Somerset have started to think for themselves, there's no need to imagine we're ALL going to start.
I mean really ... where are the historical precedents ?
This will all blow over, and millions of Britons will have their 7am at 6am and never realise what's going on. Do you want the historical precedents to that ?
And the poor power companies will reap extra profits while the huddled masses plod to work.

On a (possibly) more serious note, if I leave my timepiece as it is, and my beloved moves with the times - when she asks me a particularly awkward question ............
Will I already be an hour late with the answer ?

mistersmith.

A Yorkshireman is a Scot with all the generosity squeezed out.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Personally, I HATE it.

Exclamation marks after that.

Studies have shown that the "time change" definitely affects people - it can take MONTHS to adjust to it.

Makes you wonder if that's exactly why they keep doing it. You know, that little sadistic thrill they get out of YOUR misery?

I say GET RID OF IT.

I agree. Lets put it to a nationwide vote.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Spring forward
Fall back

I hate daylight savings time, but only for about a day or two, lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
All fine and dandy, but everyone else would be living an hour in the past, and surely you interact with those people so wouldn't that create problems?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

This makes no sense. If they don't set their clocks back, they will be getting up an hour before everyone else. Yet they say that by the time they get up it is warmer than it would have been? And how are they getting any more daylight than anyone else? I get up when it's dark and go to bed when it's dark. I get every bit of it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I don't really pay attention to time for the most part. If I have to be somewhere at a certain time, I mark it on my calendar.

I pay attention to the date more than anything else.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
While you are playing yoyo with the time the rest of the world doesn't. Doing the time change thing is utter stupidity. Quit being so last century and catchup with the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The clock represents an imaginary concept.
Earth hours.

Me merely changing the hour hand in reality does nothing, aside of changing the clock itself.

Any benefit or detriment of this action is pure illusion.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why not just adjust the time by 30 minutes and be done with it. It's a simple compromise where you get a little benefit(?) from changing the time. Unless it is meant to keep us off balance (This is why a few years ago, Congress changed when the change occurs because we were becoming too accustomed to it).

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

what utter twaddle :

the clock does not dictate how much sunlight you receive - the seasons and weather do that

there is no legal mandate that says you have to get up at a certain time - and go to bed at another time

all the clock does is synchronises your interactions with the rest of society

ie : `I will meat you at 13:30 `, or ` the bank opens from 09:00 till 12:30 on Saturday `

other than that the clock has little true meaning unless you are waiting for 2 pack chemical motar to cure [ 30 minuites @ 20 degrees celcius ]

anyone who thinks the clock dicates how much sun they get - is a retard

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
October 2013

Clocks move backwards one hour.

Sunday 27 October 02:00 BST** (01:00 GMT )

**As the UK will be on BST (British Summer Time), we will change our clocks at 2 am on Sunday 31 October.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

mistersmith

On a (possibly) more serious note, if I leave my timepiece as it is, and my beloved moves with the times - when she asks me a particularly awkward question ............
Will I already be an hour late with the answer ?

mistersmith.

A Yorkshireman is a Scot with all the generosity squeezed out.

Wouldn't it mean you'd know what's coming at least in the winter months and then she'd catch up with you in the summer?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

No, because they don't turn their clocks back, so 8am in the winter for them is 7am for the rest of us.....think I'm getting the hang of this time warp malarkey!

Beam me back Scotty!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ugh, I hate the daylight savings crap.

I'm 45 years old and still need to be reminded every bloody time of when to make the change over.

At least in the spring you get to sleep an hour longer... but the fall change always kills me for the first week.

And it's a pain in the butt changing all my clocks too: the microwave, the stove, the coffeemaker, the dvd player, the blu-ray player, the wall clock in the dining room, the shelf clock in the living room, the wall clock in the office, the alarm clock in the bedroom, the watchlight on my keychain, the clock in the car....

Why the hell do I have so many clocks ?!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join