It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up UK: Devastating 100mph storm to bring 48 hours of ‘utter hell’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Last year I was walking to work in the rain and a car sped up and got me as bad as the pic and as I shook my fist swearing at the guy a police car passed me and pulled the guy over
I caught up to the coppers and the car who splashed me and the copper said "This gentleman has something to say to you" a guy got out and said "Iam really sorry mate" I replied that I have to go home and change and I may get fired for being late to work, he got his wallet out and gave me 3 tenners and said "get a cab"

He drove off and the coppers gave me a lift home and to work, (so thirty quid up on the day).
The coppers said they told him to offer me something or get done for dangerous driving

I gotta say the coppers I have met are ruddy good dudes.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I myself have been soaked...and been the soaker....I must say being the soaker is usually better than being the soaked....but in your case it does look as though the soaker got soaked

edit on 123131p://f07Saturday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well another weather thread for the UK. I live in South West England nr Okehampton and its very windy here tonight. Unfortunately I have a 12 hr driving shift ( working 13 getting paid 12, yes i know ripped off) tonight. Hope it calms down through the wee hrs which they have forecast but I am quite releived I am not working tomorrow nights shift. Whilst I suspect it may not be as bad as the forecast is predicting I wouldnt be exactly thrilled to be driving about in it. I suspect and have noticed that these forecasts now err on the side of ass covering as I like to call it. Forecasting it to be worse than the actual conditions is better than the reverse. Lessons learnt from the infamous Michael Fish forecast in 1987 I think?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This storm is not expected to be as bad as the Oct '87 one - though inland gusts over 60mph look likely, and higher on coasts. Given trees are still in full leaf, and we've not had any serious gales across southern England for a while, there's likely to be some disruption from trees coming down. Worryingly, the worst of the weather looks like being around the Monday morning rush hour.

However ...... there is still a fair bit of variation in model predictions and simply put we don't know yet how bad it'll be or where the worst winds will be. Also, it's uncertain as to whether there will be a sting jet (as occured in 87 - and the reason that storm was worse than forecast). Come Sunday night, we'll know more!

btw similar or worse storms hit Scotland every year.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Last year I was walking to work in the rain and a car sped up and got me as bad as the pic and as I shook my fist swearing at the guy a police car passed me and pulled the guy over
I caught up to the coppers and the car who splashed me and the copper said "This gentleman has something to say to you" a guy got out and said "Iam really sorry mate" I replied that I have to go home and change and I may get fired for being late to work, he got his wallet out and gave me 3 tenners and said "get a cab"

He drove off and the coppers gave me a lift home and to work, (so thirty quid up on the day).
The coppers said they told him to offer me something or get done for dangerous driving

I gotta say the coppers I have met are ruddy good dudes.

Great story! Not all coppers are bad

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gilbis

you could be right and it could be a little thing that will just blow past typical UK rainfall...but I think your also right in that you would not want to be driving in it unnecessarily, as nothing is worth the risk...let it blow past but be prepared for the worst and hope for the best is ALWAYS the best option....

so I have now gone out and got this.

But on a serious Note....BE SAFE OUT THERE.
edit on 123131p://f35Saturday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Biigs
Bah, 'tis just but a few additional drops to a normal autumn.

Maybe my brolly will flip inside out, worst case.

good luck with this, this is something not to be taken lightly...a lot of people here in the states have been through these weather nightmares, and they always been surprised by the sheer magnitude of the event...you best take that ole' stiff upper lip, and hide it in a well design safe house or take a brief vacation to Scotland...we can't have British ATS'ers dying off...besides, who would we give a load of crap to, if you guys weren't around.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

We'll be ok, don't worry!

Whilst there is a chance of some mighty gusts, the UK media and papers like the Express for example, love to hype it up. All year they have been running stories of "Hottest", "Wettest", "Coldest" etc and, to be honest, it's been a rather nice year all be told.

But, you can guarantee that our trains will all be cancelled, our motorways will be clogged up and people will call in to work saying they can't get in. We Brits love a good drama about the Weather!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

Cheers plube. Wise words to stay safe. Never underestimate but also believe they do overestimate. Will post on sun night if Im sober enough to give a weather update for Nr Okehampton Devon!!

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
We're based in jersey , Channel Islands so could be interesting for us. It looks like most of the weather will be to the north of us at the moment but time will tell. Will clean the chainsaw tomorrow and be ready for a clearing a few trees and plenty firewood for next season. Has anybody got any predictions or forecasts on the path of the storm?
Stay safe out there peeps

Incidentally it has been an absolutely amazing day here, glorious sunshine, no cloud and around 22c in the garden.
edit on 26-10-2013 by da pickles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

stumason
reply to post by jimmyx

We'll be ok, don't worry!

Whilst there is a chance of some mighty gusts, the UK media and papers like the Express for example, love to hype it up. All year they have been running stories of "Hottest", "Wettest", "Coldest" etc and, to be honest, it's been a rather nice year all be told.

But, you can guarantee that our trains will all be cancelled, our motorways will be clogged up and people will call in to work saying they can't get in. We Brits love a good drama about the Weather!

all right...but still be careful...even the express is right once in a great while...but, this might give you a great excuse to go get snockered at a pub, and even talk some filly into an end-of-the-world shag. (LOL)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Mmmmm ! Just checked a few of the marine data points namely west English Channel and st malo looks like we're in for 44kt winds with gusts of 93 kts Sunday-Monday which are higher than the points around the sw uk. Is this thing swinging south ?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

opuscosmos
It's down the south east, central areas won't be affected too much. We do get the odd tree falling over and unfortunately taking a life. It's those crazy cross winds along the motorways which for commuters can be cause for concern.

Sun one day, a storm another. Typical English weather. At least it's not snow (just yet). That'll bring a nice stand still to the UK.

Like the usual weather reports, "In the last few hours reports have come in of several inches of snow in the Northern and Central regions, but road crews are out and traffic is traveling with minor or no delays. Meanwhile in the South, a quarter inch of snow has fallen in London, and traffic has been brought to a standstill. All roads are blocked. Motorists are advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary."

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
A little update on the storm:

England and Wales will be hit by a "significant storm" on Sunday night with winds of up to 80mph in some areas, the Met Office has warned.

Forecasters say the storm is expected to bring "exceptionally strong winds" to parts of the UK when it strikes late on Sunday night.

Meteorologists say it will strike the south west of England and could leave a trail of destruction as it gusts north-east across the country, causing structural damage, and bringing down trees and power lines

The Environment Agency says 20-40mm of rain could fall within six to nine hours.

An amber warning is in place across the southern half of England and Wales
Severe weather alerts are in place for England and Wales, with an amber warning, meaning "be prepared", for the southern half of England and Wales.

There is a lesser yellow warning, meaning "be aware", for the rest of Wales and England up to the border with Scotland.

britain-braced-for-severe-80mph-storm

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Wind blustery in Devon at the moment but nice and dry. Cannot get the cat any where near the door to go out! Lazy or he knows whats coming?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gilbis

Chucking it down here in W Yorkshire, windy and my Cat also has refused to go out he has stayed in for 24 hours and used his litter tray for the first time.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
wet wet wet and wind picking up a wee bit here in Manchestor...so far typical October weather....will see in a bit when my roof blows off I will then have a much better view of the situation....Hmmm...does my insurance cover an act of god.

Strange that act of god....I mean it means that there is a god...yet no one has seen any evidence of such a being....yet when people say they have seen UFOs they get call nutters...Why is that....maybe we should have an act of aliens clauses in our policies.
edit on 053131p://f42Sunday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Blustry here but sunny and mild temps - our cat is currently sleeping on top of sofa in sunny patch. She hates the wind so if it gets too wild tonight she will probably spend the night at the end of our bed where she perceives it to be safer - she's a rescue cat so more of a child than a cat!

Trees had a good rattling last night and had some rain too - so loud it drowned out motorway.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by plube

Great post! lol

Stay safe hx

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Here's the latest update from Michael Fish

He also says there may be a red alert warning issued in some parts but also states still not sure of how this storm will play out.

www.netweather.tv...

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join