It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Money Is No Good Here: How Our Upside Down Flag Caused Local Business Owner to Turn Us Away!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

I'm wondering what this response has to do with the whole reason for the thread. I call my wife "my better half' all the time.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

stargatetravels
reply to post by daryllyn

I'm glad that the owner made a stand.
Having things saying "impeach Obama" is just pathetic and im glad he stuck to his guns.

Good. I'm glad if you agree that sticking to one's guns is a good policy, because that is precisely what we are doing.

I think the minute Obama authorized drone strikes on American citizens, killing an American AND his 16 year old son overseas... and whoever was unfortunate enough to be in the area at the time, he became a traitor.

The minute he berated and guilt tripped the American people over their fundamental right to bear arms because some loony stole a gun from his mom and killed those kids at Sandy Hook... all while he was busy authorizing drone strikes that were (are?) killing women and children overseas... he became a a hypocrite of the worst sort.

The minute his healthcare law was passed to force the American people to buy a private product, and forcing them to pay a penalty if they chose not to buy said product, he violated the constitution, the very document that he made an oath (twice) to protect. Which is also the document that gives us the right to express our opinions and stand by our convictions, and even have the conversation to begin with.

Those are only a fraction of the issues I have with the man.

So call it pathetic, if you must, I call it 'sticking to my guns' and 'standing up for what's right'.
edit on 25-10-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Flying the flag upside down is done to signal distress not to signal your disdain for losing an election. Since you are not in an emergency situation you are disrespecting the flag. Like I heard all through the Bush administration...If you don't love the US then why don't you just leave?

After reading some more of the thread, you should feel lucky you didn't do this in the 60's. Back people exercised their protest about the direction the country was going by burning the flag or putting it on the seat of their pants. Right wingers back then would crack our head open for disrespecting the US flag. Your rights were unimportant to them just like they are now.
edit on Fri October 25th, 2013 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

damwel
Flying the flag upside down is done to signal distress not to signal your disdain for losing an election.

Once AGAIN, I'm flying it upsode down because WE, the UNITED STATES is in distress from a runaway govt

Since you are not in an emergency situation you are disrespecting the flag.

I and many others feel we are. You might not, but I feel we are.

Like I heard all through the Bush administration...If you don't love the US then why don't you just leave?

When did I EVER say I dont love my country?
I think I've said it on MANY of my threads I LOVE my country, which is why I feel we are in distress from those that are going to bleed us dry

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Great thread!

I'm curious about the small town thing. You know they have a tendency to be tightly knit, how are they treating you? Have you gone anywhere else to see if your money is good other places?!?!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here's the way I see it...

Dary and "her other half" have every right to fly their flag in the manner they currently are, and they are completely within the flag regulations to do so.

That being said...

Our car dealer is also within his rights to refuse service to someone. After all, we are still a free country. If he chooses to lose business because of his own beliefs, that's his choice. I'm sure he'll find someone who agrees with him to counteract the loss of Dary's business. If he doesn't...well, that's the free market at work.

Case in point - there is a radio station that I will no longer listen to throughout the day because the host of a sports talk show went on a ten minute diatribe about how people who believe in religion are weak-minded fools. After that day, I have refused to listen to the station. I'm not going on a letter writing campaign or a crusade to get others to boycott the station or have the host removed. It's his choice to be closed minded, just as it's my choice to no longer listen to him.

Dary, I appreciate the stand you and "your other half" are making. Whether other people agree with it, or even understand it, that's on them.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

No you miss the point. It is used to signal an emergency, not opposition to the government. I didn't say you didn't love your country I was just parroting what the right said when there was opposition to Bush and the Iraqi war. You know back when, "you are either with us or against us" was the mantra.

Look, no matter how you want to see it. It's being done improperly. Don't use the flag, get a sign.

I am pretty sure there aren't laws against disrespecting the flag so you are free to do so but don't be surprised when some people take offense at your actions.

THE FLAG CODE
Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And maybe just to stir the pot a little bit...if said car dealership refused service to Dary and her other half because they were wearing a pro-Obama T-shirt, how would folks feel then?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

And did you have the same concerns and want Bush impeached when he did ALL OF THOSE THINGS?

I wonder...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

MrBigDog1974
And maybe just to stir the pot a little bit...if said car dealership refused service to Dary and her other half because they were wearing a pro-Obama T-shirt, how would folks feel then?

Having a view or an opinio is neither the point, nor the problem, disrespecting the flag and being all tea-party-crazy may well have been the dealers issue.

Anyway, i really am out.
edit on 25-10-2013 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

StoutBroux
That's the biggest self imposed hypocritical statement I have seen on ATS.

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Care to explain what's hypocritical about ones and zeros?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

damwel
Flying the flag upside down is done to signal distress not to signal your disdain for losing an election. Since you are not in an emergency situation you are disrespecting the flag. Like I heard all through the Bush administration...If you don't love the US then why don't you just leave?

After reading some more of the thread, you should feel lucky you didn't do this in the 60's. Back people exercised their protest about the direction the country was going by burning the flag or putting it on the seat of their pants. Right wingers back then would crack our head open for disrespecting the US flag. Your rights were unimportant to them just like they are now.

There's so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure even where to start. People that are flying the flag upside down are doing so because they want the government to hear their pleas that our nation has taken a turn for the worst. Not because they dislike the US in any way.

Disrespecting the flag? I can see disrespecting the people that fight for the symbol of what the flag represents, but let me point out to you that or flag symbolizes a free nation of 50 states. The stars and stripes. As it stands right now, we are not completely free. I know I'll get a lot of uproar for that statement, but I believe we are being held hostage by the banking industry, and or governments in-ability to function as a free standing financed nation. We are hostage to the countries we owe money to, and the banks that control those currencies.

The statement she is making is not to get people to think she's anti-american. She's doing quite the opposite. She want's to show people that our countries distress is at the hands of the people in charge if this country and not it's people who by all counts are struggling to get by in difficult times.

~HAARP Watcher~

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I do believe America is in an extreme state of distress by those who have taken over our government. They do not represent the majority or traditions of the American people. The issue comes in that some see this as just political gamesmanship and the flag is above politics. I disagree because what is happening America follows Sun Tzu's Art of War in that the ultimate method to fight a war is to never have to fire a bullet or openly assault your enemy, but to change your enemy from within so you take them over in ideology and they mirror your desires. I found this at a flag company, and think they are wrong in the issue of politics.

This is way beyond politics. We are at war, and we don't know how to fight it because it's propaganda and ideology and not outright aggression for the most part.

Upside Down Flag Flying the American flag upside down is an officially recognized signal of distress. Here is the relevant part of the US Code of Laws regarding how to fly the flag when in distress:

THE UNITED STATES FLAG CODE Title 4, Chapter 1 § 8(a)The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Most individuals who have served in military service of our nation should recognize this signal. People ask if it is OK to fly the flag upside down in protest, for example: to protest the economy, an election or against the war.

The Flag Code states it should only be displayed upside down when there is extreme danger to life or property. It would be quite the stretch to make an argument that any type of political purpose would constitute “dire distress”. It is recommended that people who wish to make a protest in this fashion do so that it is respectful of the flag.

We must remember that our flag represents the government of the United States and all of its policies. It also stands for our freedom of speech, our right to practice or even not to practice the religion of our choice and it represents one united nation in all its glory and the American values. Most importantly it stands for the sacrifices made past, present and in the future to protect our freedoms.
source

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

MidnightSunshine
Great thread!

I'm curious about the small town thing. You know they have a tendency to be tightly knit, how are they treating you? Have you gone anywhere else to see if your money is good other places?!?!

We are located outside of the town, in the country, so I haven't really noticed anything.

I will definitely be paying more attention from now on, though, in that regard!

Thanks for the reply

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

stargatetravels

And did you have the same concerns and want Bush impeached when he did ALL OF THOSE THINGS?

I wonder...

Why does everything about Obama come back to Bush?

I was a lot less concerned with politics, current events and the state of the nation at the time that Bush was in office. I was young (and very wild) then, so I wasn't concerned with any of that.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Since I brought up Sun Tzu, here are some quotes that fit what I am saying.

In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Thus the highest form of generalship is to balk the enemy's plans, the next best is to prevent the junction of the enemy's forces, the next in order is to attack the enemy's army in the field, and the worst policy of all is to besiege walled cities.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

We have been in a state of such war for decades, and we are in a state of confusion and feeling worn down. I commented the other day that it's much like having a nagging bunch of children you cannot control who scream and tap your leg (think chinese water torture) endlessly and you cannot stop them so in the end you just want to be left alone and you give them what they want even to your and their detriment!

They want a complete take-over of our system and they are doing it piece by piece with their complicit media mouthpieces and those of us still resisting them are the last vestiges of the adults who see the outcome, but they know if given enough time, they will win because the rest of the adults are just sticking their fingers in their ears and want to be left alone.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

stargatetravels

MrBigDog1974

Having a view or an opinio is neither the point, nor the problem, disrespecting the flag and being all tea-party-crazy may well have been the dealers issue.

Anyway, i really am out.

So I guess that if the car dealer refused business to some one because of their race, you would be OK with it? After all, it could be that his opinion is that everyone not of his race is inferior.

The car dealer should be sued for discrimination. If people feel that the nation is in distress, than they are legally within the law to fly the flag upside down.

I would recommend that Dar doesn't buy the vehicle, but rather take it in a out of court settlement. Hell, take the business as well while they're at it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

stargatetravels

MrBigDog1974

Anyway, i really am out.

Who said anything about the Tea Party?

FTR... I'm not Tea Party. I fly a Gadsden flag, but, the Gadsden is NOT representative of the Tea Party, it was adopted by them, as it has been in history by others.

Its a historical American flag dating back to 1775, well before the Tea Party existed.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Very interesting debate here. I fully support people who fly the flag upside down, because we as a nation ARE in distress, on all fronts. We are on life support, and all it will take is somebody to pull the plug. Financially speaking, of course.

This is the most divisive administration in recent memory. One has to go back all the way to Abraham Lincoln to see such bifurcation of political thought....and see how that turned out!

As far as that ignorant used car guy, although it is his right to refuse service to anyone, I also believe that it is just as likely that he's using your flag and sign as an excuse to back out of an agreement because he may have realized that it might actually be a good deal for you, and those guys just don't operate that way.

Consider it a blessing in disguise, as well as a sign of the times. We have been divided into two camps, sadly enough. So be it. Stick to your guns. Obama has done many things he should have been impeached for....as did his predecessor, George Bush. But We The People would rather fight with each other in petty ideological squabbles, rather than address the real issues. Time for that to stop....too bad so many people cannot see the bigger picture.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I just want to point something out. There was a thread here a while back that a bakery wouldn't make a cake for a gay couple. Some here said they could serve who they liked. If one calls this situation wrong that's hypocrisy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join