It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Money Is No Good Here: How Our Upside Down Flag Caused Local Business Owner to Turn Us Away!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
reply to post by Zen24

The question is, protest for what? What would the demands of change be? It would have to be a lasting plan.
And that, right there, is the root of all of my questions in this thread. What is the end game? What are people hoping to accomplish?
Moneyless society, Contributionism

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

what you are suggesting requires a large portion of the population to involve itself.
Yes, it does. Which is kind of the point. So many people willing to fly a flag upside down, or talk on the internet about it, but none willing to put their comforts on the line for it.

Not that many people give a rats behind.
I disagree. There are a LOT of people that are fed up in this country. Most just cant be bothered to do anything about it.

If you think its too late that raising awareness will help precipitate change what is your 100 followers going to do? You need a larger portion before any other protest will work.

100? Come on now. If even HALF of the people that talk about how terrible this country has become would actually do something about it, there would be no choice but to listen.

And for that more people have to not only be aware but be on your side... and lets face it.. we dont give bread and circuses.

Again, the numbers arent the issue. The wherewithal to do something is.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zen24

Moneyless society, Contributionism
ok...but this is totally and completely unrealistic. Cannot happen.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

not even half that know there is a problem will do a damn thing. I have asked people who agree there is a serious problem but the serious problem comes in when their "comforts" are on the line...

Any real protest is going to mean we understand we will loose everything for a while... every comfort we have, for a while, would be gone.

We could face a lot of things, imprisonment, even a non-violent protest could get us imprisoned these days, we would be out of jobs, we could be out of homes....

we are telling people hey... your life for a while cannot matter, for this change to take place.... Many run like hell when they see this as any possibility...

So yes, only 100 people right now....

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

not even half that know there is a problem will do a damn thing. I have asked people who agree there is a serious problem but the serious problem comes in when their "comforts" are on the line...
Any real protest is going to mean we understand we will loose everything for a while... every comfort we have, for a while, would be gone.

We could face a lot of things, imprisonment, even a non-violent protest could get us imprisoned these days, we would be out of jobs, we could be out of homes....

we are telling people hey... your life for a while cannot matter, for this change to take place.... Many run like hell when they see this as any possibility...

So yes, only 100 people right now....
Exactly. Thus, awareness is not the issue. Apathy is.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

When you asked "are they still participating?" I assumed your answer would be to stop. That's why I asked why should people have to omit themselves.

The way the system is suppose to work, people would participate, and the majority would get the changes they wanted.

This brings a problem: what about the rest?

As you made your point "What is the end game?" It depends on who you ask.

I think if enough people did decide to stop going into work, stop paying taxes, and rallied in their cities and in Washington, a very clear message would be sent that "We're fed up, we want changes!" What changes would those be?

Personally, I want the Federal Reserve gone, our money put back on the gold standard, to end the endless printing/devaluation of our currency so inflation is not so high. Then people can have an easier life being able to afford more. I also want to stop all of the government spying going on and stop throwing people in jail for non violent crimes. There's a lot more I want, but you get the idea. (BTW I am not Tea Party, Republican, nor Democrat)

I'm sure other people would want other things changed, but I would like to think that everyone would want a general higher quality of life for all.

I think the reason most people haven't taken to the streets together like in other countries is that they feel they have obligations to their jobs which brings in their income to support their family. If they miss work they get fired.

Somehow, everyone would have to take that risk to get this movement started.
edit on 26-10-2013 by Kevinquisitor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

When you asked "are they still participating?" I assumed your answer would be to stop. That's why I asked why should people have to omit themselves.
Not in the least. Its getting missed in this thread that I am not telling people that flying a flag upside down is right or wrong. I am simply trying to understand the mindset behind it.

unfortunately, on this site, asking questions is apparently grounds for being attacked (not saying you are, but the trend is obvious)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

So, what do you propose about those apathetic? Not much we can do... when awareness increases, imho, so will time, therefore, the more time the government has to take, therefore the more people would tend toward a less apathetic stance...

Until then, I see this country in a state of distress....

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
انتقل على طول الحصول على طول
Ходи да се разбираме
Avancem per aconseguir al llarg
去相处
Pochodu si spolu
Hen ad vejen for at komme sammen
Ga langs naar opschieten
Minna mööda läbi saada
Matkan varrella tulla toimeen
Aller le long de s'entendre
Gehen Sie entlang zu kommen
Πηγαίνουν μαζί για να πάρει κατά μήκος
Vann li pou degaje; kenbe
ללכת לאורך להסתדר
साथ पाने के लिए साथ जाने
Qoob loo kom
Útközben, hogy végig
Pergi bersama-sama untuk mendapatkan bersama
Percorrere da lungo
に沿って取得するに沿ってを行く
얻기 위하여가
Iet gar iztikt
Eiti sektis
Pergi bersama-sama untuk bersama-sama
Mur iġib
Gå for å få sammen
بروید به کنار
Iść się dogadać
Ir ao longo de conviver
Merge împreună pentru a obţine de-a lungul
Ехать до ладите
Ísť spolu vyjsť
Gredo skupaj priti skupaj
Ir a conseguir a lo largo de
Gå för att få
ไปตามเกลียว
Geçinmek için gitmek
Йти ладять
کے ساتھ ساتھ حاصل کرنے کے لئے جانے کے ساتھ ساتھ
Đi cùng để có được cùng

"Or Else..."

Thank you for your cooperation

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I agree.

I also agree with captain to an extent about apathy being a problem. I don't think it's the problem, but one of many. To be apathetic about something, you have to have awareness of it first. But besides apathy, there are people that do care, but just feel they are helpless and I suppose ultimately start to not care about something they feel they can't change.

It's like playing the numbers game, you spread as much awareness as you can and hope it sticks to people. When it does, that's progress toward making changes.

No matter which way I look at it though, I always come to a violent conclusion. Even if everyone walked off their jobs to protest change, that would surely cause government to react, and I imagine it would declare martial law and/or send out police to "restore peace".

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Zen24

dlbott

Destinyone

Anonex
Unless you are in immediete danger in your home, ie: about to freeze to death, starving, or suffering life threatening injury that you require outside assistance for, (hint: affordable healthcare doesnt qualify as immediete danger) then flying the flag this way is disrespectful, and frankly, stupid.

Teams continue to play sports, people go to work and school, and quite honestly I think anyone who flys this flag should be arrested for falsely declaring an emergency, and if you really think we are in a day to day emergency, you should AT LEAST be put on a mental health risk, and not permitted to purchase firearms, explosives, or maybe even bleach for that matter.

I wouldn't do business with you either.

Gotcher panties in a wad...huh....

What lala land do you live in. Oh, it must be all Rainbows and Unicorns...for if you lived in the Untied States, and pulled your head out of your netherlands...you'd be able to see, this once Great Nation, is indeed in distress.

Why don't you visit your local Veteran's Hospital, and repeat your above speech to them. I'm positive they need a good laugh.

Yes, I am flying my Old Glory upside down....no one is breaking down my door to arrest me, nor cart me off to a mental hospital. Nor confiscating my firearms. I think they like me sitting here funding their chaos with my taxes. If flying my Flag in a National symbol of distress scares you that much....It's well worth it.

Des

Listen he is right. Your not protesting anything you are showing ignorance. The county officer came by my neighbor and we stopped and talked about the flag. He said yes that it is a signal your life is in danger and that if the police rolled out to help you that you would be arrested. You would also be liable for all the cost incurred.

He was so appalled at the thought he checked with district attorney and yes they would be prosecuted.

As stated here it is not to be used as a sign of protest, it is a sign you are in direct threat.

You should not be surprised that people stand up for their flag.

I might even understand if you said let's all have one day where we do this together and then correct it. But that is not what you are doing.

You should all be held liable for this is not acceptable as form of protest.

I bet you all had a nice dinner, watched some TV, maybe had a glass of wine or a beer last night. You went to football games in your nice cars, then maybe had some food at the golden arches. Probably everyone will make at least one trip to Walmart, you will rake some leaves or cut the grass around your your cozy little house, how many of you own home and cars?

Ah yes how many will dress up in finest clothes and head to church on Sunday, yea then most will be watching nfl and shouting for their teams. You have children, are they healthy, fed, go to a good school. On Monday how many trod off to jobs.

Hmmmmm, you don't have it so bad after all. Life is actually pretty dam good. Is it perfect, could it be better, yes. But you have it so frigging good and you are whining and acting like a bunch of babies. Grow the F up.

Take a trip to Mexico, you don't have to go far, just across the border you still find folks living in a mud hut with no floor and no plumbing or running water, no electricity, but they are not complaining, they have a roof, so many don't.

Come on guys get real, take a good look at what you should be thankful for and what you have. At least we can vote them all out, will you, NO, lol you won't. You want to protest, start recall petition. Start a third independent party to force change. Force term limits. Instead of disrespecting your neighbors, which you obviously have done, March on Washington, do something constructive towards the changes you want.

Every single one of you here in America did some of those things I described, all of you. Stop being hypocritical. It's pathetic, you have good lives, great country, if you feel so badly about it give up all you have and go live somewhere else. You will very very quickly wish you were back home and that it was not so bad here after all......

I am saddened by hypocrisy.

The Bot
It's thinking like this that got Mexico the way it is. Can you not F***ing comprehend this? Ahh let's just count our blessings, and turn a blind eye to all the bad. That is what the government wants. If everyone followed this thinking, eventually the only blessing we'd be able to count is, "Well, at least we're still breathing, we may have chains on our necks, but at least we're breathing." Do you not worry about anybody besides the people that are close to you? I want abundance for more than just me and my family. I want it for all who live on this Earth, and until then, all flags should be upside down.

Did you not read the post..... I very clearly said things are not perfect. But there is not a single one of you, including and especially the thread OP who has been honest here. Do you have a home, jobs, kids in school, what kind of car do you drive, how many cars do you have. Obviously she has two she was trading one in, lives on land out of town. Kids in school, getting education, do you have utilities, phone, no how many phones. Oh she is wearing nice glasses and clothes so someone is making money to go to eye doctor and buy glasses and nice clothes. Ah to be so blessed.

None of you were honest, you just want to bit#h and moan. In the post I gave you several positive ways to protest and change things. I hear a bunch of hypocritical babies. You know he was right go find you another country. To the one blow hard i skipped right over your long tripe about oh poor me. If you have really been to the countries you say and seen those things then you should be thankful that you live where you do that despite all the so elaborated faults it is still the best country in the world. If you don't think so, get the hell out. Go where you think it is better.

Only a few actually been honest, it is not so bad as you all make it. Do we need to have change, yes we do, flying a flag is not going to do it. The protest March today that was constructive, but sadly not that many showed up. Put your actions where your mouths are, form and join independent party, recall or vote out all those in Congress, sign petitions pushing for constitutional changes so the popular vote elects the president, so there is true campaign finance reform and there are no political pacs, change it so they can only serve two terms, no more career politicians.

Wow in one small paragraph there lies a road map to real change. Will any of you stop whining and actually do anything. I doubt it, you can't even be honest that your life is blessed compared to others in the world. Come children let's go to soccer practice then mommy will teach you how to disrespect our flag. Sounds like a Saturday night live sketch huh, doh, nope it's real life right here in this thread.

You folks really do need a new country somewhere else.

Thanks momof i respect you for standing up.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

HA! lol... my husband is a blow hard...

Well... I'm sure proud he got that status from you.... Anyway, you asked for honesty. He answered... to bad when you get what you asked for you think that it means someone is having a pity party...

I actually did have a pity party today... that was much different in appearance than my husband stating a few facts in response to questions asked....

Don't worry, I will not invite you, you wouldn't much understand anyway.
edit on 26-10-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Please stop making so many assumptions about things.

She stated that they are BORROWING a clunker from family, and needed something more reliable.

You've acknowledged that not everything is OK, and that's a good start.

When you come across a problem that affects you, you seem like someone with a positive attitude that looks at the bright side of bad things happening, and that's good too. It's also good that you're thankful for the things you have in YOUR life, but what about others?

About 1/3 of our population is on some form of government assistance. Not all are by fault of their own. My point is, how high does that figure have to rise before you feel it's necessary to stop a moment and think "If this continues, we won't have anything to be thankful for" ?

Comparing what most of the U.S. has to people living in an impoverished part of Mexico is like saying "Well, at least it's not THAT bad."

It's not hard to see that the working class of America is sliding into that direction, and fortunately some people don't feel content with that. It's kind of like when election season comes about and nobody really wants to vote for anyone they feel represents them but are forced to choose "the lesser of the evils". It's still "evil" and we are still getting screwed either now or later.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Oh she is wearing nice glasses and clothes so someone is making money to go to eye doctor and buy glasses and nice clothes.

My glasses are SEVEN years old, and the prescription is three years old.

My 'nice' shirt was picked up at a garage sale for a whopping 75 cents.

We have a truck that doesn't fit us all and are borrowing a pop can on wheels from family, to get us by until we can get an appropriate vehicle, and hoping like hell they will take the truck in trade with whatever cash we can scrape together.

You see, someone thought it was a good idea to text while driving a 22ft long refrigerated box truck. He slammed into my husband at 60MPH, who was in his work truck, sitting still on the highway waiting to make a left hand turn. He broke every vertebrae in his thoracic spine along with a few others, suffered bilateral atelectasis, and brain trauma. He was the top outside foreman and will never be able to go back.Three months after the accident? I was diagnosed with a devastating, painful, degenerative disease that has no cure. So the nice Chrysler we had with a moon roof and heated seats? Had to go back to the dealer.

And THAT is why we needed the car in the first place.

I could go on, because it gets worse, but I'll spare you.

So let's not go around making assumptions, hmm?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I think the BOT is trolling everyone on this thread and needs to be blocked off from this thread.

Its great how we can just judge people from seeing a picture isnt it? My thats so original. I can guess youtube is the home base of such thinking these days.

Anyway OP dont let that get you down. People always make snap judgements these days. Its why that used car salesman turned ya down. its why I got turned down for assistance in my own life.
ANd i am sure many more americans have felt that sting as well.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I really don't understand what the big deal is here.

OP makes decision to flip the flag.
Car Salesman decides not to do business with OP because he doesn't like what OP did to the flag.
Both actions are protected by the First Amendment.

OP isn't seriously implying that she has a First Amendment right, but the Car Salesman doesn't, is she?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

captaintyinknots

I do wish I could get an answer from you....I honestly want to know...what were you hoping to accomplish with all of this?

I honestly feel that this country IS in distress. And remember, I'm not the flag flipper or the sign maker... I'm married to the flag flipper. We share the same belief that this nation is in trouble and that the direction its heading is a slippery slope.

You may not see it that way, you have your own perspective, and 'truth' is subjective.

Kind of like religion. For some, the bible is the truth, for others its just a story book.

What's true for one, may not be true for another.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

MichaelPMaccabee
I really don't understand what the big deal is here.

OP makes decision to flip the flag.
Car Salesman decides not to do business with OP because he doesn't like what OP did to the flag.
Both actions are protected by the First Amendment.

OP isn't seriously implying that she has a First Amendment right, but the Car Salesman doesn't, is she?

I did not imply that at all.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

If that wasn't the implication, then could you clarify what was meant by this line in your OP?

Is he opposed to our first amendment right to freely express ourselves?

Could it be that he isn't opposed to your right to speech, just what your message is?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Thats not at all what I took it to mean. OP and hubby exercised their right and car dude denied them business exercising his right. (period) - a move in this economy he may live to regret.

What concerns me about this thread is the evolution it has undergone. I keep seeing the Donald Sutherland version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with some members accusatory arm raised finger pointed emitting that deafening screech. "She's not one of us, get her."

Disrespecting a flag is flying it at night unlit, or a post office that has flown the same flag for the last 20 years that looks like it has been through a war without replacing it or some snot nosed performer dancing all over it with his high dollar sneakers. I will personally flip this flag for you or in some extreme cases take it to the nearest VFW for proper disposal. You don't like it - I don't really care. I served and I'm not remotely offended by this show of protest. And I have yet to see a cop respond to a home in distress - you guys crack me up.

This is about going against the status quo. How dare you express yourself in some meaningful way. I'm just gonna assume you're a bad disrespectful person and not even listen to your reasoning because MSM has told me your a bad person. The lack of intellect in this thread is staggering. This has nothing to do with disrespect and everything to do with daring to stand up against the absurd majority who doesn't know why their offended - they just are.

Stand your ground OP. Car guy lost your business, his loss. Political correctness has cost him a customer lets see how that works out for him in the long run.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join