It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Money Is No Good Here: How Our Upside Down Flag Caused Local Business Owner to Turn Us Away!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I'm usually not one to post threads, but, I thought you guys might be interested in what happened to us today, and I'd like your thoughts.

Remember Homer's thread about the upside down flags? I was a participant in that thread. You have to glance at the thread if you haven't seen it yet.

It should also be noted that Kawrider9 made a thread recanting the story about his upside down flag and the complaints it received, which eventually ended up attracting the media.

I read Homer's thread the day it was posted and told my other half about it, and within about 15 minutes we, too, had our distress flag flying. In addition to the flag, there would also later be a sign at the front of the property saying 'Impeach Obama!' in the first line, followed by 'Gov't, get to work!' in the second. Perched atop the sign you would see a small Gadsden flag (don't tread on me, for the unfamiliar).

I had little to do with our part in this. I told him about Homer's thread, got into the shower, and came out to see a distress flag.. followed by the sign I mentioned, a short while later. At homer's request, I even took a picture and posted it in a reply to his thread, which can also be seen below.

In my estimation, it isn't hard to see that this country has serious problems, so in general, I agree with, and don't really mind the statement of the flag or the sign, especially since the government was shut down, and the 'threat' of default was looming at the time. For years I have been worried about our rights, the general state of things and the direction this nation is heading. I also am not an Obama fan. So. I'm fine with it and apart from lots of extra honking coming from the highway, we haven't really had anyone say anything about it.

Short background to today's situation:

Prior to the flag flipping, my other half went to a car lot in a nearby, very....VERY small, town. The guy agreed to work out a deal with us on trading a truck and some cash for one of his vehicles. He was supposed to come by and look at the truck and never showed up. Little did we know at the time, the political statement adorning our property, that sits on the same highway Mr. Small Town Car Lot Guy takes to his day job everyday, was the reason he never showed up, and the reason for his bizarre reaction, that would come later.

Fast forward to earlier this evening:

We had some time to kill on our way to parent/teacher conferences, the car lot was on the way, so we stopped in. I WISH I would have gotten out of the car because, the conversation was so unexpected. My head was pounding, it was cold, and not knowing the bizarre reaction that would come from this guy, I stayed in the car, so I only overheard parts of the exchange between the car dude and my other half.

Remember that these two were totally cool to each other, and ready to make a deal, just a few weeks ago.

My other half approaches the guy, and greets him. The very second that he mentioned the truck, the guy got weird, as if it clicked in his mind who he was talking to in that moment.

Here's the exchange:

Car Dude: "I'm not going to be able to work with you."

Other half: "What do you mean? I thought you wanted to trade my truck and some cash for one of your vehicles?"

Car Dude: "I saw all that Tea party # and that upside down flag at your place."

Other half: "Yeah? And?"

Car Dude: "I just can't condone that. I won't do business with you. Your money isn't good here, and neither is your truck."

Other half: "What? The distress flag? Do you even know what it represents?"

Car Dude: "No, I don't, and I really don't care. I can't condone that."

(For the record, we are not Tea Party. People tend to forget that the Gadsden was only adopted by the Tea Party, and that its actually a historical American flag dating back to 1775.)

Stunned, my other half gets back in the car and we drive away thinking... what on earth just happened here?

Was the guy suffering from cognitive dissonance?
Is he a died hard Obama lover?
Is he opposed to our first amendment right to freely express ourselves?
Why would our assumed political stance have anything at all to do with selling us a car?

I'm not sure what to make of it. Obviously the statement struck a nerve with him to the point he was willing to lose business over it. He completely rejected the explanation of the distress flag.. and wouldn't even hear a word of it. I'm bothered by it because I don't understand his logic or his reaction.

So what gives? What on earth went on here?

What say you, ATS?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

It appears that you will be driving your truck and holding onto your cash until you can find another vehicle from someone other than small town car guy.

+18 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I think the Distress Symbol is very meaningful ..... for those who understand that IS a symbol and one widely recognized as such.

For those who don't (and most, in my experience, don't...) it's thought of as something as bad or even a bit worse than an inverted Cross for pure offense factor.

It's ignorant, I agree. It's just small minded, not to at least check and see for themselves what the meaning might be, aside from the assumed offense. Still...I think it's a potentially explosive symbol if taken ignorantly.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It seems to me the man was simply ignorant of the meaning of an upturned US flag, as well as the origin and purpose of the Gadsden flag. "You deviated from the norm, lalalalalala, he doesn't want to hear it" kind of thick headed denial that will be the ruin of this once great country (and could be again if people woke up to the reality of the situation).

HUZZAH!!

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I would say he made an ignorant judgement call but I also say that it is his right to do so. Unfortunately there are tons of folks who make judgements on things they know nothing about and those are usually the same people that there is no hope in educating. He admitted to not even knowing what statement you and your husband were trying to make, but WHATEVER it was he couldn't condone it.... Give me a break. It may have been a little easier to swallow had the man said he knew what it meant and couldn't condone it. At least then it would be an educated decision on his part. He probably overheard someone else saying it was offensive and went with it.

It sucks if it was a good deal and you can't get one somewhere else and it would be easy for me to say "screw him" go buy elsewhere, but I know sometimes it isn't that easy where finances are concerned. Anytime you make a stand there is going to be somebody on the other side of that fence who wants to make it harder for you to keep that stance. You have to believe what you are doing is right and know that whatever is lost is worth the statement you are trying to make. Again... I know it isn't easy when money is involved. Taking a stand rarely is, even when money isn't involved.

I totally agree with the "distress" statements you guys are doing. If I had a flag pole, I would fly it upside down in solidarity. A lot of folks are going to go down with the ship. They will never see the "distress" we are in, because they refuse to look and learn.

I hate you lost the deal, but I hope it's his loss in the end for making a decision based on ignorance of the facts.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'll tell you what is going on.....people have no clue how bad things really are for most people and the bad just keeps coming. People don't like change....especially when they don't understand it or agree with it.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'd put a sign at the bottom of the flag for those who don't understand the distress call or the constitution and what is occurring in the country. Because some people are slow to get it.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Uncertainty is a scary thing to most people. The idea of change in our country is definitely one of uncertainty and for some people, especially if you've worked hard to get where you are, it's easier to stay in denial about the current state of the U.S., then to think of what might be down the road, whatever that may be..

That's where the problem lies, so many people don't want to believe things aren't quite "right" in the U.S., no matter what, to the point where they will do things like this, turning away business, just to keep believing things are the way they were, "back in the day".

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hey Dary, I'm sorry that happened to you, People are going to stay ignorant and act like nothing's wrong until TSHTF then they will say OH CRAP, YOU WERE RIGHT

Keep up the good fight, no matter what happens!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I have noticed, among my contemporaries, an astounding lack of free-thinking in the past decade or two. There are many things happening in this country, and around the world, that would lead the "free minds" to believe that we are not being told the whole truth in matters that concern us directly. I get very discouraged, even to the point of keeping my mouth shut, because the "mainstream" culture, as we've had to define it as of late, is resistant to the idea that things are not as they seem.

When people have had certain ideologies burned into their brain over the course of a lifetime, or even several generations, there will always be resistance to new ideas. The idea that our country and our country's leadership could in any way be lying or otherwise being dishonest with us is only a fairly new idea among the "mainstream" crowd. With Edward Snowden, or even Bradley Manning, government deceit came into the mainstream spotlight. Why, after years and years of mainstream media "towing the line" of the "straights*" or marginalizing people who think for themselves, do we now have a new culture where conspiracy (at least in some respects) is being investigated?

*Straights meaning people who aren't labeled as "conspiracy nuts."

I wish I had an answer for that. I wish there were some MSM reporters that were starting to be truthful and honest in their reporting and get back to the bare-bones investigative journalism that trumped the airwaves in earlier days. I wish I didn't have to check this board, RT News and other sites just to get my daily national news without some sort of political leaning spin. Unfortunately, those days have been over for a while.

So what does all of this have to do with a used car salesman turning down your money due to your Distress Flag? People are scared of new ideas that challenge their current paradigm. Paradigm shift is one of the hardest things to accept. This man saw your flag in distress and rejected it instantly. Why? Because he himself is probably challenging his own set of beliefs. The flag was an instant "wake up call" for him. It was the impetus for a new way of thinking, a new paradigm in not only his own microcosm, but in the macrocosm of our very society. We are a country in distress. We have corrupt politicians, a president who is hell-bent on destroying the middle class, agencies who listen to your calls and read your emails, LEO's that would rather step on your face than look at you, and people who are so preoccupied with keeping up the the Joneses that they have lost sight of what is truly important. We are at the cusp of a Brave New World, and your flag is a distress beacon in the darkness that is engulfing all of us.

This, this is what the used car salesman was afraid of.

He was afraid of it all crashing down at once.

I hope that makes sense to you. Keep your flag up as long as you can. I'll be turning mine over in the morning.

Be well.

-TS

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Hi there Daryllyn,you know the thing I find most disappointing about the truck-dude's behaviour-is that he did'nt know what it meant,why you guys have tha flag upside down-and he was not even interested to find out Why..if I was him,and found it so offensive,I would have asked my potential clients about it at length,and if I still was unsure-would have googled "meaning of upside down flag".And clicked on at least 3 different sites to verify.

Its the ostrich approach this guy seems to be following- there are others who will do business with you,that is propably not a big problem for you guys-the problem is with folks who don't Want to know the background about what offended them in the 1st place-and living in America right now,one really has to be Working hard at not knowing-i mean,you have to deliberately make an effort to not have at least a clue as to why folks see fit to hang your flags in distress mode.

In Africa we see that if an ostrich buries its head in the sand,the lion's kill is very easy-he does'nt even have to chase..

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
People probably look at it like it's an upside down cross or something. Something completely opposite of the norm is naturally off-putting. Unfortunately people don't do their research and assume the worst.

It's a shame, but that's how things are today. People would rather stay in their comfort zone instead of thinking outside the box. SMH

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
So, it's OK for the military to reverse the flag, but turning it upside down is blasphemy?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Dont think I've ever seen a flag flown by the military upside down

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Stars all around. If it wasn't already past my bed time, I would reply individually, but for now, I will just say in general that you guys nailed it.

I'm not too worried about the car aspect, because there are other places we can go, we were only trying to support local business and score a cheap, payment free, ride.

I'm more worried that this shutting down and refusing to think or accept facts by so many.. will do us in :/

I'll check back in the morning

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Dary...you had the opportunity to meet an actual ostrich in a very very small town. It saddens me greatly, as those are the ones, we'll have to help take care of when TSHTF. They are clueless, and prefer to stay that way.

As you know, I too, am flying my flag upside down in distress. We are a Nation in distress. To ignore it is dangerous.

Hang in there Girl...IIRC, a lot of people driving past your home, honk in agreement with you and your other half. He was probably going to sell you a crappy truck anyway....your hard earned dollars are better spent with someone who uses all of their brain.

(((Dary)))

Des

edit on 25-10-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

screw em. Honestly.

What? You going to turn it right side up and put up a "good day" obama sign?

Stick to it. Some loss is to be expected. powerhouse through it and move on.

I know you probably will, but I have been in an aggressive mood for some time and it is really working out as far as crap getting out of my way. Getting allot done...lol

Just plough through this crap. The guy is a twat. Be for your own, not those who dont even count you as neighbors.

You know what comes to mind oddly enough.....I like the original reading of the bible before Vatican 2....."died for the forgiveness of sins for you and MANY"...NOT "for you and ALL".....

some lose. Accept that and move on. Only way for those who make it to actually make it.

Stay true. screw them.

PLOUGH...BULL....DO.

Hold it down.

edit on 10 25 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Radical ideas are contagious don't you know. Ya'll have become 'other' or 'them', something to be avoided like the plague. I find it amusing that perceived ultra right wing conservatives are the new communists. Oh the irony.

People have killed to maintain ignorance, better to do the sheeple shuffle.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I find it amusing that perceived ultra right wing conservatives are the new communists.

How do you figure???

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

The really sad thing is that these "middle class" americans, are going to be the first to really feel the hurt that obozo is doing to our country. Especially auto dealers - and farmers - and anyone who owns land.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join