It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany, Brazil Turn to U.N. to Restrain American Spies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

Brazil and Germany today joined forces to press for the adoption of a U.N. General Resolution that promotes the right of privacy on the internet, marking the first major international effort to restrain the National Security Agency's intrusions into the online communications of foreigners, according to diplomatic sources familiar with the push.

The effort follows a German claim that the American spy agency may have tapped the private telephone of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and dozens of other world leaders. It also comes about one month after Brazilian leader Dilma Rousseff denounced NSA espionage against her country as "a breach of international law" in a General Assembly speech and proposed that the U.N. establish legal guidelines to prevent "cyberspace from being used as a weapon of war."

The situation itself is fascinating and bears a close eye from us all. This NSA crap has the potential to not only destroy US-global relations, but actually turn them very sour even to the degree of hostility. Can't blame the world, either. I'd challenge any American out there to ask themself what their thoughts would be if it was revealed that all of the White House's communications had been tapped by Scotland Yard, Interpol, or the KGB for years.

What really crumbled my biscuits was the following:

"This is an example of the very worst aspects of the Snowden disclosures," a former defense official with deep experience in NATO, told The Cable, referring to former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. "It will be very difficult for the US to dig out of this, although we will over time. The short term costs in credibility and trust are enormous."

You arrogant sonuvabitch. The NSA got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and still completely fail to display any attitude aside from unwarranted anger at the person who identified the laws they were breaking. This is an example of the best aspect of Snowden's disclosures, IMO. It *shouldn't* cost American troop lives (unless these idiots in DC escalate matters) yet it laid bare the illegality and hypocrisy of an American government with a major entitlement complex. Anyone with an ounce of sack in the federal government wouldn't be extending Obama's "blame everyone but me" attitude and trying to continue to portray this as all being Snowden's fault and would instead step up and take responsibility for what has happened alongside public measures to keep it from happening again. The problem with that solution is the feds really, really want that cookie they snuck and they have no intention of keeping away from the rest of them in the jar after they finish the one in their hand.
edit on 25-10-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: Added source, sorry about that!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You arrogant sonuvabitch. The NSA got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and still completely fail to display any attitude aside from unwarranted anger at the person who identified the laws they were breaking. This is an example of the best aspect of Snowden's disclosures, IMO. It *shouldn't* cost American troop lives (unless these idiots in DC escalate matters) yet it laid bare the illegality and hypocrisy of an American government with a major entitlement complex. Anyone with an ounce of sack in the federal government wouldn't be extending Obama's "blame everyone but me" attitude and trying to continue to portray this as all being Snowden's fault and would instead step up and take responsibility for what has happened alongside public measures to keep it from happening again. The problem with that solution is the feds really, really want that cookie they snuck and they have no intention of keeping away from the rest of them in the jar after they finish the one in their hand.

hahhaha very well said... There seems to be an attitude that as long as we do it there is a righteous justification because the whole world is possibly hiding terrorist that want to hurt the U.S. government... Besides we have spent billions if not more on some really neat stuff; use it or lose it kinda thing.. Yep it will take a long time to build the world trust we once had because they were caught stupid and going against the very constitution they were suppose to defend here in the homeland and breaking international agreements and laws world wide with our NATO allies no less...

Tapping or intercepting 35 world leaders cell phone conversations is probably the straw that cracked the dam. Merkel sure seems to be pissed. www.ft.com...
www.france24.com...
www.theguardian.com...
ca.news.yahoo.com...

edit on 25-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Love your comment in the last paragraph there. I'd like to read more of this. Do you have a source?

I'm really hoping that the rest of the world is as outraged by this as we Americans are. There's little we can do—you know, being "terrorists" and all if we question our government. But at least world governments can cause a great and wondrous stink—if they all stick together against Washington. (Which, come to think of it, would itself be a pretty good outcome....)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I think this is something that once started, cannot be stopped.

Good luck telling the USA Spy agency that it cant spy.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I sure hope they have the "washington trials" in Brussels ala the "nueremberg trials" .

Round up all of these communist americans and put them in a cell to await "trial".

They can look into the "arab spring" holocaust, as well as the fast and furious holocaust of mexico -

All the usual suspects we have had to put up with - and the rest of the world has had to endure with their murderous, traitorist mentality.

Who hates america this week? Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, France, Brazil, Germany - and it's just this past week.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The NSA is spying on the rest of the world because the united states is the most corrupt criminal organisation on the planet, so they need to see who else is up to the same thing they are doing and stay ahead of them. But most likely, they have found that they are the ones that the world should be watching, and for the most part the rest of the world is minding its own business which is what the USA should start doing. And yes if they were to find out that another country was collecting this kind of info in the US then ther would be hell to pay.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Link please?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What kind of superpower wouldn't be spying on other country's? I would be shocked if other country's weren't doing the same thing. What am I missing here? We're suppose to be upset with our leaders for spying? Get real!!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

Spy on your friends and your allies? What kind of treachorous, double-crossing, fiendish - oh, nevermind.....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

addygrace
What kind of superpower wouldn't be spying on other country's? I would be shocked if other country's weren't doing the same thing. What am I missing here? We're suppose to be upset with our leaders for spying? Get real!!

Good point. But Germany and Brazil are not superpowers.

China wouldn't make such a big deal out of it because they are spying too. Why stir up heat?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Oh, I can hardly wait. I've been making a list of those whose pitiful excuses I'd like to hear.

What do you suppose are the chances they'll pass out rotten tomatoes to the spectators? That'd make for some great Youtubing....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Really sorry about the missing source, guys. I thought I had it in there but obviously did not. I've edited it in now.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
hahahaha

because the russians dont spy on the US along with everyone else

just because its through the internet, makes it a big deal? you honestly believe no country tries to spy on us? hahaa

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

christoph
hahahaha

because the russians dont spy on the US along with everyone else

just because its through the internet, makes it a big deal? you honestly believe no country tries to spy on us? hahaa

The government of the United States likes to portray itself as a bastion of liberty and justice, the protector of humanity, headed by the most transparent leader in all of human history.

No one cares if Russia and China spies, we all expect it.

And why spy on Brazil or Germany? Are they going to invade someone? Or did someone in those countries develop something of economic value? Is the NSA spying for particular interest groups here in the USA?

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Who would have thought 70 years ago, germany would be leading the way for freedom and privacy, while America is the one constantly starting wars with other nations, and attempting to control it's entire population...Eisenhower and co. must be rolling in their graves, while hitler is laughing himself into tears

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

burdman30ott6

Brazil and Germany today joined forces to press for the adoption of a U.N. General Resolution that promotes the right of privacy on the internet, marking the first major international effort to restrain the National Security Agency's intrusions into the online communications of foreigners, according to diplomatic sources familiar with the push.

The effort follows a German claim that the American spy agency may have tapped the private telephone of German Chancellor Angela Merkel and dozens of other world leaders. It also comes about one month after Brazilian leader Dilma Rousseff denounced NSA espionage against her country as "a breach of international law" in a General Assembly speech and proposed that the U.N. establish legal guidelines to prevent "cyberspace from being used as a weapon of war."

The situation itself is fascinating and bears a close eye from us all. This NSA crap has the potential to not only destroy US-global relations, but actually turn them very sour even to the degree of hostility. Can't blame the world, either. I'd challenge any American out there to ask themself what their thoughts would be if it was revealed that all of the White House's communications had been tapped by Scotland Yard, Interpol, or the KGB for years.

What really crumbled my biscuits was the following:

"This is an example of the very worst aspects of the Snowden disclosures," a former defense official with deep experience in NATO, told The Cable, referring to former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. "It will be very difficult for the US to dig out of this, although we will over time. The short term costs in credibility and trust are enormous."

edit on 25-10-2013 by burdman30ott6 because: Added source, sorry about that!

Imagine also the Adverse Effect of this Illegal Spying on the U.S. Economy and the status of our Trade Relations with other Countries . This will hurt the American Consumer and Worker far more than some Freakin' Unwanted Federal Goverment Alphabet Agentcy....

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

addygrace

What do you think the Real Reason behind this kind of Covert Spying is being done for ? As I see it , there are two obvious possibilities , " National Security " or " Corporate Spying " for the explicit purpose of gaining an Advantage for American based Corporations over their Foreign Competitors . I suspect the ladder is the most plausable .
edit on 28-10-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

top topics

join