It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rituals/Schedules/Religions vs Randomness/Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
it seems like religion has become a ritual. Do this, don't do that; think this way, not that way.

The mind gets trapped, only able to believe think certain thoughts. this is why when I create a thread I usually speak from different viewpoints. since I am NOT dedicated to one philosophical views I am able to see the value in all of them.

people are beginning to notice the ritualistic nature religion but now it seems like the new age and spirituality is becoming just as ritualistic to some.

"repeat this one word in your mind over and over again"

"read this book or say this prayer over and over again"

The body is trapped in the physical realm but the mind is FREE to think randomly, not forced by physical laws such as gravity, for example.

Embracing randomness in the mind, recognizing the randomness of life rather than its order, will lessen boredom, make one more creative and open-minded.

Embrace randomness - choose life!

Don't try to force yourself to think or be one way. That is the path of death because even a robot can do that...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

ok I can see you have some new material that's good.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

You are a perfect example of what I was talking about. You didn't care to say anything of your own, you didnt even care to say that bible verse in your own way, you just posted a link to a bible verse lol

edit on 24-10-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Sorry, I had somewhere to be. I thought it was self explanatory.

We said aside the laws of God by our traditions and rituals. In other words ritual is not Gods law, it goes against it. I was using it to grace your point. Thanks for the insult.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by arpgme

Sorry, I had somewhere to be. I thought it was self explanatory.

It was partly just a bit confusing since the link I went to didn't actually link to the full verse. Wouldn't get too wound up about it.

And even secular folks have their rituals I suppose.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I personally find that structure and ritual are beneficial to my well being.
I have, through the years, chosen to have specific ativities, out of which I make rituals that are re-enacted regularly.

My body gets a spurt of feel good hormones with this rendez vous with familiarity and order. I suspect it might be part of our built-in survival pulsions, to encourage secure living conditions.

Far from restricting my mind, I find it allows my mind to wander and explore!
When undertaking actions that my body knows well, skills that have become muscle memory and subconscious reflex, my mind is then free to fly into new areas of thought, without having to concern itself with the needs of the body.
Each part doing what it loves and is good at....this creates an experience of real creativity at times, and joy!
I think I have seen this state termed "flow" .....?

edit on 25-10-2013 by coquine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by coquine

I thinlk you are right about that. The OP's bent was more to ritual in Religion. Being skilled in a profession is important. Practice and training to accomplish some task is a good thing.

As opposed to what the repetitive, stagnant nature of a western "tradition" church service is, for instance. There is no further progress being made there, just the same thing over and over. Ritualized dogma, traditional procedure.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

It was partly just a bit confusing since the link I went to didn't actually link to the full verse.

Look again? Down the right side of the page is context for the idea.

And even secular folks have their rituals I suppose.

Just religious rituals and traditions are the focus, I think. Jesus rebuked that a lot in the church of his time. Thats why they (the Jews) hated him so much and sought to kill him. He challenged their beliefs and practices. Eventually they were so vexed they did kill him. All because he wouldn't shut up about it.

What a guy. What an example.

edit on 25-10-2013 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I'm talking about rituals , patterns people live by in general - religious or nonreligious.

For example, "faith" in someone elses beliefs and adapting them as your own just because you were asked to do so ( many religious people do this).

A nonreligious example would be " skepticism", trying to keep your mind living with in doubt all the time questioning instead of going with the flow.

The point is not that "faith" or "skepticism" is bad, the point is... trying to think in only one way especially being dedicated to a book , whether its considered holy or scientific, will force the mind to be in a box forced to think only in one way.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Ahhh, thats called dogma, I think. I get that. My family is deep Christian, (I say Churchian) in their pattern of thinking and behaving.

I hate that about them. They are one sided, everything they believe in was told them by the Church and that churches interpretation of the Bible.

They are arrogant, judgmental, stoic, better than, controlling, etc. They have to be to keep up appearances.

There is no room for flexibility, every situation has this weird cult like response on their part. Personally I think its all a front for insecurity and selfishness. Maybe you can relate.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: Oh, by the way...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 25-10-2013 by intrptr because: link

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yeah, I got that.
My view is that ritual is one of our deeper needs or pulsions, and that religion is just one of many areas which offer that to people. It is part of what you get in exchange for your membership and loyalty... it's a cookie.

Sometimes people are conditioned into a particular religion or other practices of their society, and feel "trapped" because they didn't choose it. When you choose the type of ritual or discipline you will use, it feels different.

Nevertheless, I can't help but notice that some people in this world do not seem to be capable of self mastership of this kind, and benefit from having an exterior source providing it....

new topics

top topics

join