Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Artic Temps at 44,000 year high

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Saying the earth goes through cycles in order to deny mankind's impact on these cycles, is absolute retardation.

ATS really does have a lot of ignorance on the issue of AGW.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There are some issues with this as pointed out by Anthony Watts.

1.) The plants they are dating are clumps of dead moss. They haven't been alive to take up carbon since 44,000 years ago. It is a logical flaw to assume that the last time they were uncovered by the ice was when they were presumably covered and killed. No one knows for sure if that is the case. Ice levels in the Arctic have fluctuated quite a lot in those 44,000 years, but dead plants wouldn't have been taking up radioactive carbon.

2.) Ice doesn't just disappear because it melts. Ice can also sublimate which means it passes directly from solid to gas. That can happen at quite cold temperatures, and it's what's been going on at Mt. Kilimanjaro. So, if the moss has been uncovered at other times in the past 44,000 years and is uncovered now, you can't really assume it's because the ice is melting due to heat. It might be sublimating. There are ways to look at the ice and tell which process is occurring, but the one picture the scientists released with their story doesn't let you get a good look. And, when they cited melting in Greenland ... well, Greenland and Baffin Island are two separate locations far enough apart that you can't assume what's happening at one is happening at the other. In fact, weather data for Baffin Island shows no significant summer temperature increase.

3.) Just because you found four clumps of moss at Baffin Island that tell you something through carbon dating and you draw a conclusion doesn't mean that your conclusion is valid for the entire Arctic. Your conclusion might be valid for Baffin Island, but the entire Arctic? That's like using a single pine tree to create the impression that a hockey stick graph was indeed an accurate depiction of global temperatures.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

badgerprints
You know what that means?

It means the world has been getting hotter for 40,000 years.

Guess what?

It's going to keep getting warmer until it starts getting colder .....again.

Actually, no. The world was cooing until ~20,000 years ago (the last glacial maximum). It then warmed up (albeit erratically) reaching a peak ~6,000 years ago (Holocene Climatic Optimum) since when it has been cooling again, although not significantly (the Neoglacial) due to reduced axial tilt.

With axial tilt continuing to decline, we would expect to see Arctic summers continue to cool from their Holocene peak. Though not enough to cause a new glaciation.

Arctic summers should not currently be warmer than they were in the ~40ka interstadial (when woolly mammoths thrived in Siberia)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

webedoomed
Saying the earth goes through cycles in order to deny mankind's impact on these cycles, is absolute retardation.

ATS really does have a lot of ignorance on the issue of AGW.

Who is denying mankind's impact? Saying the earth has climate cycles and that a warmer climate is more conducive for growing is not ignorant or retarded.

Pot meet kettle. But by all means keep spreading your fear. It seems your heart is full of it and misery loves company.
edit on 25-10-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

How are you going to grow when there is little to no remaining habitat?

Yes, it's retarded.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

"I never post about this topic because it really does not interest me. But after reading your thread I have to say you are full of it.

YA it might be hotter but the planet goes in cycles just like everything else. It would not mean the end of life
heck it might actually help. Things that grow like a warmer climate.

I wonder if people actually buy into the fear you people push..........You should be ashamed. "

Not trying to spread fear and Doom & Gloom just trying to keep the climate change debate going. If it warms too much there will be a run on viruses; cold weather keeps them in check, there will also be an infestation of mosquitos because they brood around sitting water and with the warmer temps there will be a lot of sitting water, and even more-so, there will be a shortage of food because there will also be more running water; where there is more running water food won't grow because the seeds won't have a chance to "root" themselves. But no worries here, don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, just trying to keep the issue on people's minds.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

With axial tilt continuing to decline, we would expect to see Arctic summers continue to cool from their Holocene peak. Though not enough to cause a new glaciation.

Arctic summers should not currently be warmer than they were in the ~40ka interstadial (when woolly mammoths thrived in Siberia)

Axial tilt is only one aspect of global climate.

There are a myriad of individual factors that affect the worlds temperature. It never has and never will be static.

It has been hotter. It has been colder.

It will do both again.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Pardon me for being dense..... I read the OP article and Never once does it actually give the actual temp increase and region of increase, you know, actual data. Is it all of the Arctic? Just a spot? What is the the baseline measurement that they are basing it off of? What is that baseline measurement range of accuracy? It's really hard to gauge things with such sketchy writing. Hell, could they even reference the actual study so I could look it up?!?

It's a very fluff article, I hate when they are written this way. Might as well read USA Today or Parade Magazine.

Being curious I started looking, they say the temps have increased by

Studies by CU-Boulder researchers in Greenland indicate temperatures on the ice sheet have climbed 7 degrees Fahrenheit since 1991. - See more at: www.colorado.edu...

However while looking for that I found this: Temps in the High Arctic 80th Parallel, actual measurements from 1958 onward:

Link to Temp Data

Quite honestly, I don't see much temp variation with that data... do you??

From Both sets of observations, I would think that the CU-Boulder Data is the smaller overall data set. Maybe a localized anomaly going on?

Results from Data is all about how you collect and interpret it.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

webedoomed

How are you going to grow when there is little to no remaining habitat?

Yes, it's retarded.

I want a clean safe world to live in also. I love animals and will walk around insects instead of stepping on them. I get it.

But to say the world is going to come to an end because of heating is a little far fetched. Also when you use names and anger it shows weakness in your argument.
edit on 27-10-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Records were made to be broken. Whenever I hear something along the lines of, "This [month] has been the hottest since [previous record]," part of my brain says 'We can do better next year!' and I have to fight the urge to purposely burn more carbon.

Meanwhile, the majority of weather records (both hot and cold) in my area of the world seem to have been set in the 1950's through to the early 1990's. Recent years have not been majorly hot or cold, though the precipitation levels have been fluctuating wildly. But even that is not too much out of the norm. I can't be the only exception to all the climate change gloom-and-doom... can I?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join