It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artic Temps at 44,000 year high

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The title says it all, people. Researchers are sounding a new alarm on climate change. It night be a good idea to consider one of those one way trips to Mars to start a new life. All signs are pointing to some real calamities on a global scale.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
You know what that means?

It means the world has been getting hotter for 40,000 years.

Guess what?

It's going to keep getting warmer until it starts getting colder .....again.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
What a crock!!! Consider the source NBC!!!! Arctic ICE is larger than it has been in years???? How can it be hotter and have MORE ICE?????

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
And Antarctic ice is at record levels.....nsidc.org...
This article show Arctic ice is not at a low!!!

link   
And Antarctic ice is at record levels.....nsidc.org...
This article show Arctic ice is not at a low!!!

link   
NBC... Hmm..

N)ever
B)een
C)orrect

Yes, I think that fits pretty well.

Breaking records over 120,000 years old, eh? Well.. Maybe there was a round of volcanic eruption somewhere elsewhere in the world that raised temps ..or something else that dropped them after. The comparisons are always interesting when they are so far beyond any reach of recorded history or concept of what was happening because full conclusions are drawn from partial data.
edit on 24-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
there is some confusion and debate on this topic

apparantly the sun just when into a dormant cycle which is responsible for some very cold climate variations in the not so distant past...

well, that's why one should dress in layers

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ice Ice Ice Baby...

is that Bad Sign? or Its Natural?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Apparently, humankind has had access to thermometers and have kept records for the past 44,000 years! Finally! We can boot out all of those old ideas that humans were simple hunter gatherers around river valleys...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

badgerprints

Guess what?

Guess what?

You made an uneducated guess.

When was the last ice age?

Do you know why middle age Europeans wore such heave costumes?

Because at that time we were experiencing a mini ice age, the Thames river was being skated on in July because it was frozen.

It has not been heating up the past 40,000 years.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I think it's normal. For billions of years the earth has gone through many huge, sweeping cycles of warming and cooling. Where I live has been under a sheet of ice AND tropical at different times!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

"All of Baffin Island is melting, and we expect all of the ice caps to eventually disappear, even if there is no additional warming."

So they're effectively saying there's nothing that can be done (even in their fantasy world). Well hell, if nothing can be done I guess there's no point in doing anything differently. *shrug* Nice to see the GW crowd starting to wise up and issue "carry about with your normal business" messages for a change.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here's a link to some REAL historic data showing the natural cooling/warming cycle.

Top MIT Scientist Mocks New UN Climate Report

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

You logic is amazing. Using it that means that because you have to breath to be alive and you are certain to die at some point in the future, the need to care for air quality is a futile endeavor as the resulting outcome is certainly the same, your death.

Add to that that oxygen is by definition an oxidant and breading increases the chance that free radicals damage you DNA and we all should just dismiss pollution in general, in fact because we all will die there is no point to life so any life saving technology is just a waste of resources.

Compound that with the fact that 90% of all species that ever existed are now extinct, and even if humanity made an impact in this world, in face of that number it was minimal, we should stop concerning ourselves with war, decease and misery or having any ecological concerns since we are most certainly all destined to die off as a species...

edit on 24-10-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

Arctic ICE is larger than it has been in years????
Summer sea ice. And the extent was much less that it was 10 years ago.
www.safety4sea.com...

And Antarctic ice is at record levels
That would be the extent of sea ice. The total mass of ice in Antarctica is decreasing.

Between 1992 and 2011, the ice sheets of Greenland, East Antarctica, West Antarctica, and the Antarctic Peninsula changed in mass by –142 ± 49, +14 ± 43, –65 ± 26, and –20 ± 14 gigatonnes year−1, respectively.

www.sciencemag.org...
The ice mass in East Antarctica increased by 14 gigatons. The ice mass in West Antarctica and the Antarctic Penninsula decreased by a total of 85 gigatons. A net loss of 71 gigatons.

Estimates of recent changes in Antarctic land ice (see above) range from losing 100 gigatons/year to over 300 gigatons/year. Because 360 gigatons/year represents an annual sea level rise of 1 mm/year, recent estimates indicate a contribution of between 0.27 mm/year and 0.83 mm/year coming from Antarctica. There is of course uncertainty in the estimations methods but multiple different types of measurement techniques (explained here) all show the same thing, Antarctica is losing land ice as a whole, and these losses are accelerating quickly.

www.wunderground.com...

edit on 10/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Wow, Phage! I haven't heard from you in a while. I thought you left ATS. Thanks for your input!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
It is all well and good to look at winter sea ice in the Arctic. What many fail to register is that the depth, ie, thickness of sea is minimal. That is why it is so easily melted in the summer months. It is not a good sign.

Looking at average temperatures on the earth does not tell you what the Arctic is doing, nor as Phage has stated that the antarctic ice is decreasing over all.

It is just about time for the next Ice Age. Rug up peoples!

P

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

LoneGunMan

badgerprints

Guess what?

Guess what?

You made an uneducated guess.

When was the last ice age?

Do you know why middle age Europeans wore such heave costumes?

Because at that time we were experiencing a mini ice age, the Thames river was being skated on in July because it was frozen.

It has not been heating up the past 40,000 years.

It was 58 F at my house last night.

It is 71 F now.

Did I have a mini ice age? Has it only been warming for 24 hours? No.

The interglacials and "Mini -ice age" are all a part of the warming trend.

They are also inconsequential events because (actual) scientists still are not convinced that the warming trend we are in isn't just a spike in the temp before another interglacial period.

So, the mean temp is simply the high point for the past 40k years. Life goes on.

Science and politics are not always the same thing.

Right now though, politicians are pretending to be scientists and the people that used to be scientists are going where the money is.

edit on 25-10-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Panic2k11

You logic is amazing. Using it that means that because you have to breath to be alive and you are certain to die at some point in the future, the need to care for air quality is a futile endeavor as the resulting outcome is certainly the same, your death.

My logic is simply taking into account the actual facts.

You are injecting your own ideas into my logic and are wrong...except for the part about dying.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

I never post about this topic because it really does not interest me. But after reading your thread I have to say you are full of it.

YA it might be hotter but the planet goes in cycles just like everything else. It would not mean the end of life
heck it might actually help. Things that grow like a warmer climate.

I wonder if people actually buy into the fear you people push..........You should be ashamed.
edit on 25-10-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join