It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinook in my area

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

They also train in civilian airspace. Not all MOAs are on bases, in fact a number of them are nowhere near bases. There is no regulation that says they can't train in civilian airspace. Trying to only train over a base is a disaster waiting to happen, especially when you're talking ACM, or something like that.

Military pilots (such as helicopter pilots) occasionally have to meet with the FAA. That flight is considered training, and takes place in civilian airspace. In flight refueling is considered training, and takes place in civilian airspace all the time. There are a lot of different things that are considered training that take place off base, all the time.

Hickam abuts the international airport in Honolulu (they use the airport runways, because they don't have their own), all their fighter training takes place in civilian airspace, north of the island. There's nowhere else to train.
edit on 10/27/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

edit on 10/27/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo

Zaphod58
reply to post by Komodo

And how does the military NOT train in civilian airspace, since almost all airspace in the US is civilian?

not sure what your trying to prove here .. or who you really are but, looking at your profile pic.. and reading your posts.. I'm going to assume your prior mil .. if not.. then you're just trolling .. if you HAVE been in the military ..

then how can you say this ( the above quote) ..because .. if you ARE prior Military .. then you're attempting to derail the thread.. because .. YOU of all people KNOW why mil train at bases..

I know its way late into this thread but....HAHAHAAAAAAAA! WTF?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Tundra

First person to resurrect a years old thread of mine

I feel like a big kid now.... even though it was a dumb thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
the Chinooks are the worst in the fleet....the pilots are aware of the iffyness....they're iffy

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
a reply to: Tundra

First person to resurrect a years old thread of mine

I feel like a big kid now.... even though it was a dumb thread.

Not a dumb thread at all. I have seen all kinds of aircraft around here. Looking at the sky seems uncommon for alot of people. I might be wrong. I do know keeping your head on a swivel is a good thing to practice though lol.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Living in Massachusetts, there is not a whole lot of military activity in our skies. But we do see the occasional helicopter. Once, when I used to drive trucks, I was returning from a run to Maine, and driving through New Hampshire, I just happened to look off to my left (I think I was near Portsmouth), and there was a staggered formation of approximately ten Chinook helicopter. Very cool sight to see.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join