It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinook in my area

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this. Please move if needed.

Today my sister was visiting. She was out side with her son when I heard a loud sound and noticed her looking up at the sky. I stepped out and looked up to see 2 Chinooks flying overhead, only about 130 feet above me. I live in a small, rural middle/east TN town. I am used to regular helicopters flying around, there is a nearby landing practice field, and cannabis searches. But I have never seen one of these suckers. I have no idea why they would be here. Wondering ifanyone can enlighten me to possible reasons?

edit on 24-10-2013 by chelsdh because: remove mistake

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

Is it a Blackhawk, or a Chinook? The two are very different.

Blackhawk

Chinook

As for why, training most likely.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

I live just East of Nashville and see them every few months. I always assume they are heading to Fort Campbell...

They sure do make a racket when flying overhead though. You can feel the pressure of them them coming.

Editting to add - I see the Blackhawks in this area
edit on 24-10-2013 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

My bad, when I googled for an image, it popped up "blackhawk Chinook". Don't know why. But I guess it was a Chinook.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

My goodness, they are so loud. I couldn't believe how noisy they were. (I'm about an hour east of Nashville, good to know it's not uncommon).

link   

chelsdh

I live in a small, rural middle/east TN town.

You are between Fort Campbell and Fort Knox.
Not at all surprising.

link   
reply to post by chelsdh

They're almost certainly out of Fort Campbell, doing training flights. Certification for pilots, or just flights to get their hours, and keep certified.

Could be out of Fort Knox too, there's at least one unit there.
edit on 10/24/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

link   
Zaphod didn't you comment in another 'Oh noes helicopters!' (just kidding OP) thread that at certain times they will essentially fly more to waste money so the budget doesn't get cut for a particular unit?

I will say that in my late twenties the only Chinook sightings I've ever had have all been in the last 4-6 months, and I want to say I've seen about five. Kind of in a weird area too, only thing close is a very small airport and they were flying fairly low. Not tree top skimming, but low enough that it was a little unnerving when they came into view. I know there's no threat, but for some reason they freak me out a little. Not sure why.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
OK. Thanks guys. I feel better now, knowing it's nothing to worry about. It was really neat to see, kind of awe inspiring.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

At the end of the Fiscal Year if they have any money left over, they have to burn it, or get less money the following year. The start of the Fiscal Year (where we are now), and the end of the Fiscal Year is when you see the most flying activity going on, because they have money to burn then.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

training - most probally navigation - that's why you haven't seen them before - crews are habitually sent out on routes they have never flown - precisely so they have to navigate from the map

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
i was googling about "strange military movement" and see this

THE VATIC PROJECT (Maybe)
Vatic Alert: Strange Military Aircraft Across America Being Reported!

here some video of source

Snf Op..have a good Day
edit on 24-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chelsdh

It's probably normal. They do the same thing a couple hundred feet over my town as well from time to time and I'm not in a direct line to or from any large base that would have Chinooks. I always thought they were practicing using roads to navigate by. I've even seen C130 aircraft do low passes over lake Sammamish for no apperent reason.
Chinooks do have a very distinct sound (different from Huey's or Blackhawks) and you know they're coming when you hear em.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Domo1
Zaphod didn't you comment in another 'Oh noes helicopters!' (just kidding OP) thread that at certain times they will essentially fly more to waste money so the budget doesn't get cut for a particular unit?

I will say that in my late twenties the only Chinook sightings I've ever had have all been in the last 4-6 months, and I want to say I've seen about five. Kind of in a weird area too, only thing close is a very small airport and they were flying fairly low. Not tree top skimming, but low enough that it was a little unnerving when they came into view. I know there's no threat, but for some reason they freak me out a little. Not sure why.

Well that is just the safest altitude for them to fly. I mean there no exactly the most agile copter lol.

Seriously, they don't take high winds well and you will often see them flying in that goldilocks zone. It is also tactical, they would even get lower if allowed. You think they are loud and scary you should be in the belly of the beast. Lol

The Bot

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Good grief, Cheesy!
I really despair when I see these type of videos. Clueless, paranoid idiots running around with video cameras springs to mind.

edit on 26/10/2013 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

chelsdh

Today my sister was visiting. She was out side with her son when I heard a loud sound and noticed her looking up at the sky. I stepped out and looked up to see 2 Chinooks flying overhead, only about 130 feet above me. I live in a small, rural middle/east TN town. I am used to regular helicopters flying around, there is a nearby landing practice field, and cannabis searches. But I have never seen one of these suckers. I have no idea why they would be here. Wondering if anyone can enlighten me to possible reasons?

edit on 24-10-2013 by chelsdh because: remove mistake

1) 2 Chin's @ 130' .........the rotor chop alone would almost be deafening .. !!!

2) Mil training in Civilian air space is a big no no .. but who knows any more, we have a rough gov so .. yea..

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

And how does the military NOT train in civilian airspace, since almost all airspace in the US is civilian?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

It was unlike anything I had ever heard before. Someone mentioned the pressure created by one, and those 2 together did create a lot of pressure.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by Komodo

And how does the military NOT train in civilian airspace, since almost all airspace in the US is civilian?

not sure what your trying to prove here .. or who you really are but, looking at your profile pic.. and reading your posts.. I'm going to assume your prior mil .. if not.. then you're just trolling .. if you HAVE been in the military ..

then how can you say this ( the above quote) ..because .. if you ARE prior Military .. then you're attempting to derail the thread.. because .. YOU of all people KNOW why mil train at bases..

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

chelsdh
reply to post by Komodo

It was unlike anything I had ever heard before. Someone mentioned the pressure created by one, and those 2 together did create a lot of pressure.

yes... it does.. and as the poster above already quoted...

"wait till you sit inside the belly of the beast"...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join