It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modifying Humans Via Antibiotics? Something You Need To Know

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A new kind of antibiotic has been developed by researchers at Oregon State University. The new antibiotics are called PPMOs, which stand for peptide-conjugated phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers. They are “a synthetic analog of DNA or RNA that has the ability to silence the expression of specific genes.” (1) The way that PPMO antibiotics will work is to, “specifically target the underlying genes of a bacterium.” In plain English, PPMOs will genetically modify bacteria.

This may not sound like a horrible thing on initial glance. Bacteria are generally thought of as evil (soap commercials have conditioned us all), something to fight because some bacteria can make people sick and even kill them if their body is overwhelmed by “bad” bacteria. However, bacteria and the other single-celled organisms that make up the human microbiome are intimate parts of each human being. Per the Human Microbiome Project:

The healthy adult body hosts ten times as many microbial cells as human cells, including bacteria, archaea, viruses, and eukaryotic microbes resident on nearly every body surface. The metagenome carried collectively by these microbial communities dwarfs the human genome in size, and their influences on normal development, diet and obesity, immunity, and disease are under active research. (2)

www.collective-evolution.com...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To say that your body's immune system is a muscle that you have to exercise is putting it mildly. Taking antibiotics at the drop of a hat is bad. Infants, elderly, fine. Personally, I feel that almost everyone else is better off simply allowing their body to fight the fight itself, with intervention if it starts to lose.

Around my household, we don't use anti-bacterial anything. We clean with water, baking soda, and vinegar. Period.

Bacteria and microbes are part of a healthy human. We cannot live in an IBM clean room without severe side effects.

And what the article suggests as for tampering? Well, to say I put it intriguing and eye opening is the least I'll say....

Read and digest....

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

soap commercials have conditioned us all
Yep!

All this genetic modification of practically everything around us should stay within the labs until they prove its safety. Using the worlds population like lab rats is just not on!
And safety should be measured INDEPENDENTLY, and definitely not by those who have financial interests.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Not easy to judge this one. We must consider all those drug-resistant bacterias we have now. Medicine needs new weapons sometimes.

Has the age of antibiotics come to an end? New strains of bacteria are on the rise, landing normally healthy people in the hospital with life-threatening, drug-resistant infections. Ray Suarez talks to David Hoffman, the journalist who led the investigation for Frontline's "Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria."

www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Trueman

Not easy to judge this one. We must consider all those drug-resistant bacterias we have now. Medicine needs new weapons sometimes.

Has the age of antibiotics come to an end? New strains of bacteria are on the rise, landing normally healthy people in the hospital with life-threatening, drug-resistant infections. Ray Suarez talks to David Hoffman, the journalist who led the investigation for Frontline's "Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria."

www.pbs.org...

While this may be true (well ok it is true), unfortunately messing around with the genetic make up of bad bacteria, will only serve to make the problem worse in time, on two counts...

1) It may well affect the good bacteria which resides wihin the human body...you know, the ones which help to keep various body parts in good working order.

2) The bacteria will adapt in order to thrive as a speices, sure for a while it will look as though we have won the battle...but bacteria will win the war!

I do hope someone can cheer me up and tell me I am wrong

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Trueman

www.pbs.org...

not easy to judge when you have insufficient data...

Not many people know that a few metals possess germicidal properties. These specific metals can stop the growth of germs and microbes on contact. Silver and copper are best known in this regard and are often used in commercial applications. Swimming pools, for example, can be kept germ free by filtering the pool water through screens of silver and copper, thereby eliminating the need to use chlorine (a substance which is harmful to human tissue and should be avoided). Among germicidal metals, however, silver is of greater importance because it is the only metal that is completely non toxic to the body. In fact, silver has been used since ancient times to not only keep stored water "sweet" and germ free, but also to speed the healing of wounds and minimize the formation of scar tissue.

Ancient physicians and scholars of medicine, like Cyrus the Great (King of Persia, ca. 550B.C.), insisted that the water from his favorite stream should always be stored in silver vessels and carried by mule trains "following the king whithersoever he goes at any time" (Herodotus, Book I, Para. 188). The famous Roman physician, Pliny the Elder, wrote in his great tome "Natural History " (79 A.D.) that even the slag of silver..."has healing properties in plasters , being extremely effective in causing wounds to close..." (Natural History, Book XXXIII, Part XXXV, Volume IX)

During the Middle Ages in Europe, it was always a great mystery why untold thousands of peasants died of the Bubonic Plague, while most members of the aristocracy remained untouched. Did the aristocracy enjoy some special protection from God that was being denied to the peasants, as was believed at the time? Not exactly

educate-yourself.org...

we don't need new "antibiotics"
have to agree with the OP, this looks like yet another attempt to use the general public as guinea pigs by the transhumanists
edit on 24-10-2013 by Metaphysique because: added edit & comment

edit on Fri Oct 25 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened ex quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Metaphysique

Not many people know that a few metals possess germicidal properties. These specific metals can stop the growth of germs and microbes on contact. Silver and copper are best known in this regard and are often used in commercial applications. [...]

educate-yourself.org...

have to agree with the OP, this looks like yet another attempt to use the general public as guinea pigs by the transhumanists

Yes, take as much silver as you want. It's completely safe. Absolutely nothing will go wrong. 100% non-toxic. Trust this random guy on the internet, he has like 5 PhDs in biochemistry, totally, completely trustworthy, and is absolutely not stupid at all, in any way.

In fact, I advise getting all your medication-related information from the internet. Don't trust those doctors. That ten years of training, and decades more of experience teaching them the chemical details of how living things work are just brainwashing.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Moduli

Metaphysique

Not many people know that a few metals possess germicidal properties. These specific metals can stop the growth of germs and microbes on contact. Silver and copper are best known in this regard and are often used in commercial applications. [...]

educate-yourself.org...

Yes, take as much silver as you want. It's completely safe. Absolutely nothing will go wrong. 100% non-toxic. Trust this random guy on the internet, he has like 5 PhDs in biochemistry, totally, completely trustworthy, and is absolutely not stupid at all, in any way.

In fact, I advise getting all your medication-related information from the internet. Don't trust those doctors. That ten years of training, and decades more of experience teaching them the chemical details of how living things work are just brainwashing.

ROFL, what Ignorant, fear-mongering twaddle...

And I Strongly advise YOU
to work on your reading comprehension AND retention.

from your wiki-link [emphasis added with your post points in mind]:

There has never been a reported case of Argyria from the use of a modern "colloidal" silver, which differs from homemade silver "compounds" in particle size. Nanometer size colloidal silver particles are too small to be absorbed by human cells and typically pass through the body in 48 hours or less. A prominent case from ingestion of a silver compound (not colloidal silver) was that of Stan Jones of Montana, a Libertarian candidate for the United States Senate in 2002 and 2006. Jones acquired argyria through consumption of a home-made silver product that he made due to fears that the Year 2000 problem would make antibiotics unavailable.[22] The peculiar colouration of his skin was featured prominently in media coverage of his unsuccessful campaign, though Jones contends that the best-known photo was "doctored".[22] Jones promised that he was not using his silvery complexion as a gimmick. He continues to promote the use of colloidal silver as a home remedy.[22] He has said that his good health, excepting the unusual skin tone, is the result of his use of colloidal silver.[22]

In 2007 press reports described Paul Karason, an American man whose entire skin gradually turned blue after consuming colloidal silver made by himself with distilled water, salt and silver, and using a silver salve on his face in an attempt to treat problems with his sinus, dermatitis, acid reflux and other issues. Karason died on September 23, 2013 after suffering a heart attack and stroke.[23][24][25]

Ignorance Denied [hopefully]

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It's not correct to say that it genetically modifies bacteria. It's not adding in any new genes. It is also much more targeted than, say, ribosomal antibiotics, or beta-lactams. You can create a PPMO that should target a single type of bacteria, so it should actually be better by your standards of not obliterating whole classes of bacteria.

What a PPMO does is block the genes that are responsible for that bacteria being able to multiply. In this regard, it's not too dissimilar to a quinolone antibiotic that blocks bacterial topogyrase from unwinding the bacterial plasmid for division. With a quinolone, the bacteria can't unwind their DNA strand for duplication because the quinolone blocks the enzyme responsible. With a PPMO, the bacteria sort of forgets how to complete division.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

The thread has nothing to do with the antibiotics you know. The first 2 lines of the initial post of the thread are clear :

A new kind of antibiotic has been developed by researchers at Oregon State University. The new antibiotics are called PPMOs, which stand for peptide-conjugated phosphorodiamidate morpholino oligomers.

Again, we do not have enough elements to judge this one. PPMOs are something new, if you go t your doctor and ask about it he probably will tell you he doesn't know about it and never prescribed to someone.

About the silver treatment you mentioned...., is that what you use or is just something you found in the web?

When you had an infection...., Didn't you take any antibiotic?....., never used them?
edit on 25-10-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Thanks for this - AND the link to collective-evolution. Much appreciated.

S&F& : up :

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

soficrow

Thanks for this - AND the link to collective-evolution. Much appreciated.

S&F& : up :

Well, honestly, many here have come forward and proclaimed collective-evolution as being an unclean site. That the information therein is not "valid", not "truthful", or worthy of "debunking".

To me, information is information. Honestly, the article I read took me a bit by surprise as for a CE article, it struck me as well thought out and scientifically presented. I typically ALWAYS search out the source of an article before I share it, and use the actual source rather than the regurgitated sample of it I had found. But this appears to have been an original work by the author at CE.

I tend to look at all sources of information, from the Bible to the National Enquirer, as having a potential for at least some basis in truth when taken with the appropriate context, due diligence performed in understanding the author's potential bias, and with a heaping helping of salt.

The idea of excluding an entire source because you find it to be overall of a salacious nature, or un-scientific, or one article may have been dubious....I feel that you do yourself a great disservice. Truth can come from the oddest and most uniquely untrustworthy sources...if only you remember to analyze everything thoroughly and not to swallow everything as that dreaded of serpents......

"Truth"

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Duplicity is the evil of all posters!!!

Duplicate post removed....

All Hail SadistNocturne!!!!!
edit on 26-10-2013 by SadistNocturne because: Nighty-night

top topics

join