It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appellate court: Nope, feds can’t just GPS track your car without a warrant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The Third Circuit Court of Appeals has handed down a huge decision in favor of privacy rights in America. On Tuesday, the court confirmed in United States v. Katzin (PDF) that federal authorities must get a probable cause-driven warrant before attaching a GPS tracking device on a suspect’s car.

Of course, the circumstances of this case may sound familiar. Indeed, the Supreme Court decided in January 2012 in the United States v. Jones case that attaching a GPS device to a suspect’s car without a warrant constituted unreasonable search and seizure. In the wake of that decision, the FBI turned off 3,000 such tracking devices. However, the Jones case did not provide a clear-cut ruling on whether a lower legal standard could conceivably apply. In the new case, Katzin, the court definitively answered that with a resounding no.

As Judge Joseph Greenaway wrote:

We thus have no hesitation in holding that the police must obtain a warrant prior to attaching a GPS device on a vehicle, thereby undertaking a search that the Supreme Court has compared to “a constable's concealing himself in the target's coach in order to track its movements.”

arstechnica.com...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know about you, but I am SOOO glad that there are now RULES the FBI has to follow before they put a GPS tracked on my care. Aren't you ?

I feel safe now

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SadistNocturne

Dakota,

You forgot that this only occured because the vehicle in question was too old to have the technology installed at the factory.
Almost all modern cars are sold with a GPS in them via "on-star" or whatever satillite navigation system you care to name...so, they won't have to get a warrent to put a GPS on your car anymore.
It also overlooks that most cellphones ARE a GPS tracking system and the most advanced of them won't permit the owner to remove the power supply to render them inert.
Next will come the microchipping of the populations.

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Dakota,

You forgot that this only occured because the vehicle in question was too old to have the technology installed at the factory.
Almost all modern cars are sold with a GPS in them via "on-star" or whatever satillite navigation system you care to name...so, they won't have to get a warrent to put a GPS on your car anymore.
It also overlooks that most cellphones ARE a GPS tracking system and the most advanced of them won't permit the owner to remove the power supply to render them inert.

-Amitaba-

I'm sorry, you're calling me Dakota, why ?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What I can't understand, is those that use a sat Nav and end up in a field or a river by fallowing the instructions to the letter! Can't they see where they are going and also they can give alternative directions if you miss a turn off etc....

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

SadistNocturne

The word "dakota" is Sioux for "Hi friend".

-Amitaba-

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Eryiedes

SadistNocturne

The word "dakota" is Sioux for "Hi friend".

-Amitaba-

Funny, considering my family is Sioux (not enough personally to have been considered a tribal member, but my Father was)....and I was unaware of that

Thanks for the explanation, and thanks for the warm welcome I didn't know of to respond to!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Eryiedes

Dakota,

-Amitaba-

Undoubtedly, times and technologies change.

Given that I work in IT and have for just over twenty years, yepp, I'm pretty well familiar with what you are telling us about.

Honestly, the *very* idea of having On-Star or any equivalent is utterly repugnant to me. As are the "black boxes" commonly in today's vehicles.

The very fact that you HAVE a cell phone allows them to track you...unless...muwahahahahaha....

www.kickstarter.com...

Yepp, got in on that, and will have my very own sometime pretty soon.

Unfortunately, used to be that you could simply open the phone and disconnect the battery. My phone, the new HTC One is sealed shut, you CANNOT remove the battery, or even upgrade the battery to a larger capacity one.

The main reason why I posted this article was because any move to restrict the Fed from senseless abilities to track is an excellent thing in my book. I am insanely fierce about my privacy, and unfortunately I am also well aware that we have precious, precious little left in today's world. Fact is, where most believe that we have some guaranteed "right to privacy", truth is, no, we honestly don't.
edit on 25-10-2013 by SadistNocturne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join