It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glastonbury Teens Arrested After Parents Come Home Early To Find Party Underway

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

thesaneone
If the parents didn't call the police and one of the party goers drives and kills someone then the police would have arrested the parents. I think these parents did the right thing now no one will go there to party any more.

Wonderful that the parents did the right thing AFTER they did the wrong thing by not being effective parents in the first place.

They failed those children in the basic ways a parent should be a parent to a child.

So, go ahead and cheer. Cheer on for the losers.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Evanzsayz
reply to post by SadistNocturne

Why not call the cops? It's THEIR house. Most likely alcohol was involved. Which is ILLEGAL to minors. We all know drugs were most likely involved also. I would of called the cops too, teach his ass a lesson.
edit on 24-10-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

And you would have failed utterly and completely as a parent.

If there was alcohol involved, was it the child's fault, or the parents fault? If there were drugs involved, was it the child's fault, or the parents fault?

In both cases, had the parent simply BEEN A PARENT, neither scenario would have occurred.

Funny how that works.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

SadistNocturne

GLASTONBURY — Two Glastonbury High School students were arrested after their parents came home early from a weekend trip and found a party going on at their house, police said.

www.ctnow.com...

When, precisely, did parents start depending on the POLICE DEPARTMENT to assist in their parenting?

Whatever happened to laying a groundwork, LONG before something like this happened, to establish the knowledge and the cognitive notion that you do NOT do something like this when your parents were not home?

My father would have tanned my ass and hung it to dry. I'm sorry. These are not parents, these are people who clearly should never had children in the first place. They made a mess out of their children. They need to be the ones to clean it up. They need to take responsibility and OWN UP to the fact that THEY created the little terrors that felt it was OK to act out something they saw in a movie, disrespect their home, and disrespect their parents in the process.

But hey, call the cops. The schools do it. Why shouldn't a "parent" ?

If it happened here in the US, those parent's may have unwittingly had their kids taken away from them and, most-likely, expelled from their school.
When I was younger, my parents wouldn't have called the police and I wouldn't have been able to sit comfortably for some time just for starters.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

snowspirit

rangerdanger
I was thinking about what would happen if my parents would've come home early on one of the days I threw a party.
My father wouldn't have called the cops. In fact, if I got caught throwing a rager, I would probably WISH they called the cops.

Im glad I never got caught, because it would've been a beating like no other.

Same thing would have happened to me, if my father would have been able to catch me first.

That said, these days it's illegal to beat your kids, so they don't learn to fear their parents.
Parents aren't even allowed to spank, how do you discipline a teenager, other than taking away privileges?

You start from day one. You instill the idea that you simply do not displease your parent. You instill the idea that the child simply must comply with demands, and do so pleasantly and respectfully.

Once you have that foundation set, although there will be bumps in the road, you have the basics covered.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

snowspirit

rangerdanger
I was thinking about what would happen if my parents would've come home early on one of the days I threw a party.
My father wouldn't have called the cops. In fact, if I got caught throwing a rager, I would probably WISH they called the cops.

Im glad I never got caught, because it would've been a beating like no other.

Same thing would have happened to me, if my father would have been able to catch me first.

That said, these days it's illegal to beat your kids, so they don't learn to fear their parents.
Parents aren't even allowed to spank, how do you discipline a teenager, other than taking away privileges?

You start from day one. You instill the idea that you simply do not displease your parent. You instill the idea that the child simply must comply with demands, and do so pleasantly and respectfully.

Once you have that foundation set, although there will be bumps in the road, you have the basics covered.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

crimvelvet
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

In Massachusetts if you ever ever lay a hand on your child you will find YOUR butt in jail.

I think that answers the ops question.

To add spice to the information, GUESS WHO is behind it?
The Hand that Rocked the Cradle: A Critical Analysis of Rockefeller Philanthropic Funding, 1920-1960

Abstract

Past research into the mental hygiene movement in Canada and the United States has tended to view it in isolation from co-temporary projects funded by Rockefeller philanthropy, such as mass communications research. The mental hygiene campaign aimed to modify adult-child relations by reducing the influence parents and teachers held over children’s personality development; the central aim of mass communications research was the development of conformity of opinion. One a project of social engineering, the other of social control, the two projects combined appear to have possessed considerable potential to work in concert to shift weight in the socializing matrix from families and schools to the media at the outset of the post-World War II baby boom.

Well suffice it to say, I don't live in MA. If I did, I'd move.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Really?
My parents raised me fine and I would never blame them for something I did.
You come off as a child so I can see why mommy and daddy are to blame.
Shame on any parent that thinks they can trust there kids.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

crimvelvet
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

In Massachusetts if you ever ever lay a hand on your child you will find YOUR butt in jail.

I think that answers the ops question.

To add spice to the information, GUESS WHO is behind it?
The Hand that Rocked the Cradle: A Critical Analysis of Rockefeller Philanthropic Funding, 1920-1960

Was that the case back in the seventies? Just wondering 'cause I grew up just outside of Boston and I can assure you I did not get a hand laid on me, more like a belt.... yes, the belt! My dad never wore it, it always hung on the back of a coat closet door. My siblings and I used to see it a lot as we got our coats out of there and it sure did its job of instilling fear should we consider doing the wrong thing.

edit on 24-10-2013 by evc1shop because: missing end quote

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

thesaneone

Really?
My parents raised me fine and I would never blame them for something I did.
You come off as a child so I can see why mommy and daddy are to blame.
Shame on any parent that thinks they can trust there kids.

You're good for a laugh

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Not sure about the the law in the states, but is it not illegal to leave a 15 and 16 year old alone for the weekend?

When i was 15 my friends would have probably pulled all the furniture out of the house and soaked the carpet and planted grass seed. Even then not sure if the law would have been called. But I would have had a sore ass

Edit: If this was Glastonbury in the UK the parents would have sent them to the shop for more booze
edit on 24-10-2013 by marc72 because: to edit because i can

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I don't understand this sentence...

The two girls, 15 and 16 years old, face charges of permitting a minor to possess alcohol.

Was it the girls charged with this, or their parents? By allowing these young girls to stay home alone all weekend shouldn't mean the parents were no longer responsible for their welfare.
edit on 25/10/13 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

To be honest, up to certain point these definitely play role. The problems have always existed, although people simply used to dismiss these.

There are studies linking stress hormone cortisol with bad behaviour, especially impulsiveness. At stressful situations body does not produce enough energy (cortisol regulates releasing extra energy during stressful situations), which leads to impulsiveness, as body does not have enough energy to calm oneśelf down. Violent, impulsive behaviour is associated with cortisol imbalance and proven by several studies.

Most other hormones also in some way or another affect people´s behaviour. Exhaustedness, impulsiveness, concentration problems are the most common symptoms of different imbalances in hormonal levels.

I´ve personally had problems with cortisol levels. Now these are okay, although back then it was very tough. What made it even tougher, was that nearly no one understood what it was like. Most people just dismissed , even when I tried to explain to couple of closer friends and family, at first they dismissed it as made-up symptoms. When problems were found in the blood levels, they still did not recognise it as a problem and d. The fact is it was one of the toughest times in my life so far, especially because I was all alone with my problems. After getting treatment all the symptoms vanished in couple of months after starting.

Still I personally do not support such sceptical attitude. People who have not gone this through are lucky, although this makes them sceptical against such issues. They have not had issues like that and they can not understand what it is like. The fact is nearly everyone who suffers from different imbalances in their systems has their behaviour affected by these - some more, some less depending on genetic background. This whole problem made me realise that after all, humans are in a way biological machines and at the end we are far less in control of ourselves as we believe we are. Most people have simply no experience with strong disbalances in their system, that is why they tend to dismiss it.

edit on 25-10-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

NuclearPaul

The two girls, 15 and 16 years old, face charges of permitting a minor to possess alcohol.

Was it the girls charged with this, or their parents? By allowing these young girls to stay home alone all weekend shouldn't mean the parents were no longer responsible for their welfare.

this is the parents not doing their job as parents and passing the buck i'm afraid....these are the type of parents who's children more than likely end up depressed and suicidal because the parents did not get off their lazy fat ##### and get to the core of the problem....

in this case calling the police on young teenagers is a poor excuse for parenting and the resentment that will cause will lead to a difficult future......what is important is that kids trust their parents and if that trust is lost it spells disaster....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Evanzsayz

Why not call the cops? It's THEIR house. Most likely alcohol was involved. Which is ILLEGAL to minors. We all know drugs were most likely involved also. I would of called the cops too, teach his ass a lesson.

Disagree completely. You'd seriously call the police on your son in this situation? Stick him with a rap sheet, possibly with felonies attached? You'd ruin his life, his chances of a great career would be down the tubes when that came up on a background check? He'd be on the list, allowing our great police state to harass him forever?

On the other hand, as others on here have stated. Their parants would have performed corporal punishment... these days the kids or others call the cops on us if we do that. So maybe its come around full circle.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

marc72

Not sure about the the law in the states, but is it not illegal to leave a 15 and 16 year old alone for the weekend?

When i was 15 my friends would have probably pulled all the furniture out of the house and soaked the carpet and planted grass seed. Even then not sure if the law would have been called. But I would have had a sore ass

Edit: If this was Glastonbury in the UK the parents would have sent them to the shop for more booze
edit on 24-10-2013 by marc72 because: to edit because i can

I am not certain as to the legality of it, but I can certainly vouch for the legitimacy of the Parenting involved in making the decision to leave a pair of 15 and 16 year old children alone in the house FOR A WEEK without any parental supervision.

I'll try not to rehash my well stated, or even over stated view on this, but I think culturally this is not something that is simply DONE, at least without much forethought and planning today.

Hell, when I was a kid, we were left on our own (my older sister and I, she was 2.5 years older) and to our own devices. However, we absolutely knew that the slightest mistep would not only get us into a world of trouble, but that our parents would be even angrier over the fact that they then knew they couldn't trust us as they felt they could previously, and would stay home with us making our lives miserable (extra chores, extra homework, zero priviledges, etc) in the meanwhile until we had regained and re-earned trust in their eyes. Were we perfect? Hell no. Did My ass get tanned on a regular basis? Yes.

Did I *EVER* throw a party? Ahem, No. Did I do something as utterly ridiculous as what occurred in the movie "Project X" www.imdb.com... , ahemm, hell no.

I blame much of this on pop-culture, such as movies like the above. But also, I grew up with movies like Ferris Buellers Day Off (no, no party in there, but still, kids having an awesome time and "being bad"). Weird Science. 16 Candles. All of which showed some rather epic party scenes. But did I do any of this? No. Did I know anybody who had done this themselves , even outside of my social circles within our school? No.

But today, screw it. Do it.

Parents? Take responsibility? No. Be your child's BFF ? ABSOLUTELY! Friend each other on Facebook. Share playlists. Live vicariously through your child. Be your child because hey, your childhood sucked.

And yeah, I personally think the UK's views on drinking are a bit more realistic than our puritanical view on alcohol here in the US. I think much of the "taboo" we encounter here in the US as children become of age is averted in cultures such as yours.

But hey, remember.....Alcohol, is not a "drug"

edit on 25-10-2013 by SadistNocturne because: Damn damn DAMN I hate it when I misspell a word!!!!

edit on 25-10-2013 by SadistNocturne because: Had to put in an ommission regarding FBDO. No party there. Damn hot gal in it though...you can see her topless btw in Time Cop with JCVD!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

rangerdanger
Damn Sadist, puttin people on blast.
I agree with everything you say. My parents had very similar style.

I'm not a "believer" in many things. But, what I do believe in, I believe in fervently!

This "I'm not going to take responsibility" attitude that is pervasive in todays world sickens me.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

XTexan

Evanzsayz

Disagree completely. You'd seriously call the police on your son in this situation? Stick him with a rap sheet, possibly with felonies attached? You'd ruin his life, his chances of a great career would be down the tubes when that came up on a background check? He'd be on the list, allowing our great police state to harass him forever?

On the other hand, as others on here have stated. Their parants would have performed corporal punishment... these days the kids or others call the cops on us if we do that. So maybe its come around full circle.

God I wish they'd fix the quoting system on here

Thanks for the support, glad to see I'm not alone in my beliefs

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Hell, when I was a kid, we were left on our own (my older sister and I, she was 2.5 years older) and to our own devices. However, we absolutely knew that the slightest mistep would not only get us into a world of trouble, but that our parents would be even angrier over the fact that they then knew they couldn't trust us as they felt they could previously, and would stay home with us making our lives miserable (extra chores, extra homework, zero priviledges, etc) in the meanwhile until we had regained and re-earned trust in their eyes. Were we perfect? Hell no. Did My ass get tanned on a regular basis? Yes.

Well now I understand where you are coming from.
You were raised in a very strict household and think all parents whose children screwed up are bad parents.
Some parents do a great job of raising their children and sometimes they give them a little extra trust and sometimes kids will break that trust.

Now if you can show me some type of proof that these parent have been "bad parents" prior to this then I will agree with you that they are idiots.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

So are you saying that your parents were bad parents because they left you and your sister home alone?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

NuclearPaul

this is the parents not doing their job as parents and passing the buck i'm afraid....these are the type of parents who's children more than likely end up depressed and suicidal because the parents did not get off their lazy fat ##### and get to the core of the problem....

in this case calling the police on young teenagers is a poor excuse for parenting and the resentment that will cause will lead to a difficult future...... what is important is that kids trust their parents and if that trust is lost it spells disaster ....

You know, you had me at.....yeah...,.but then..."what is imporant is that kids trust their parents and if that trust is lost it spells disaster"....right there, you lost me

Kids need to trust their parents in as much that their parents will always be THEIR PARENTS...and actually COMMIT to PARENTING...

The problem today, is that parents just give up. Or never even try. It's fashionable. "Who's gonna take care of my 15 babies?" Sorry, you're the parent, YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR FIFTEEN BABIES....We're you not present during intercourse, impregnation, and giving birth ?

In turn, it is the trust of the parents that the children MUST EARN.

Once you earn and respect and KEEP that trust, your life is SOOO much easier as a child. You know your boundaries. You know precisely what you can and cannot do!

But you're right, a child who's parent calls the cops on them cannot trust their parent. Most likely, they never could trust their parent TO BE THEIR PARENT in the FIRST PLACE.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join