It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Drone Operator Shares his Inner Torment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Good article from my local news outlet, showing a little perspective on these drones.

Former Drone Operator Speaks Out

He was given a document totaling the number of people killed in missions in which he'd participated in some form during close to 6,000 hours of flight time.

The overall number of 1,626, he says, "made me sick to my stomach."

edit on 24-10-2013 by rangerdanger because: wanted to post a lil more

edit on Thu Oct 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

rangerdanger
Good article from my local news outlet, showing a little perspective on these drones.

Former Drone Operator Speaks Out

He was given a document totaling the number of people killed in missions in which he'd participated in some form during close to 6,000 hours of flight time.

The overall number of 1,626, he says, "made me sick to my stomach."

edit on 24-10-2013 by rangerdanger because: wanted to post a lil more

You know that number includes women and children.

What a chickensh!t way to fight a war.

Also, the drone operator knew exactly what he was doing.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Just tell your superior officers to screw themselves right?

lol he did what 'he had to do' and that goes for most of them

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Regarding fears of civilian casualties, he describes an occasion in 2007 when he saw a figure running toward a building in Afghanistan seconds before the impact of a missile he had aimed at it. The small shape looked to him like that of a child.

He says he and a colleague asked an intelligence observer on the mission about it.

The response? "Per the review, it's a dog."

Bryant says he was sure it wasn't a dog. In the end, he says, the report of the strike mentioned neither a dog nor a child.

Yup, definitely includes women and children.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

What in the world makes them think that is a good or helpful thing to show anyone? Do they expect a guy to be happy and cheerful that he's personally and directly ended the lives of over 1,600 other human beings?? I don't get the thinking here.

Stats like that must surely be tallied by people who not only have never seen fighting themselves, but know NO ONE who HAS seen and been a part of fighting where others died.

I'll say from both my Dad out of Vietnam and by brother-in-law out of the M.E. wars...neither had one shred of pride or happiness. They both have/are dealing with issues from that, with NO questions about the rightness of what they had to do. With total clarity of the morality, they both deal with issues.

That clarity is something these drone pilots can never have from a trailer in Nevada or Arizona. Then they show them this? I can't believe it...I just can't fathom what the bean counters are thinking to count bodies like beans.

Our nation has totally and completely lost it's way in the world.
edit on 24-10-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

Just tell your superior officers to screw themselves right?

That's what the Nazi's said.

If that is your starting point...I won't lower the bar to that level.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Yeah, that's the confirmed number. Unconfirmed is going to be higher. Apparently most of these drone operators have some form of PTSD.
I call it a conscience.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

rangerdanger
Yeah, that's the confirmed number. Unconfirmed is going to be higher. Apparently most of these drone operators have some form of PTSD.
I call it a conscience.

I think the computer Nerds will take this stress in unknown ways.

Think how hard it is for the seasoned warriors on the ground.

We have no idea what types of PTSD may manifest in these People.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Yeah, especially if they land a civilian job flying drones for the local PD after they are discharged.
Can't believe he killed that many people sitting in a chair in Nevada.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

amen.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

rangerdanger
Yeah, especially if they land a civilian job flying drones for the local PD after they are discharged.
Can't believe he killed that many people sitting in a chair in Nevada.

Would you prefer we fight wars without the technology?

I know, how about we only fight wars where trench warfare is allowed so that both sides can mindlessly rush into machine gun fire.

Why limit the deaths to only thousands when we can kill millions, right?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

How about we don't fight a war?
We don't need to be there, we are only hurting the region, not helping.
So it's ok for us to kill as many other human beings as we want? As long as technology does the killing?

edit on 24-10-2013 by rangerdanger because: spelling

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

What Ranger said.

What are we really fighting for?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

only against those who think, that Malha?? is that her name?,,she is a Canadian Citizen now so, i guess CONGRADULATION
is in ORDER.

is the ENEMY.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

BobAthome

only against those who think, that Malha?? is that her name?,,she is a Canadian Citizen now so, i guess CONGRADULATION
is in ORDER.

is the ENEMY.

I think it's Malala. I never expected her to become a US citizen, she's too smart for that.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The government is building more drone complexes, one near where I live (on military post).

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

hknudzkknexnt

The deal is; He was being paid to fly a toy and kill if ordered to. It is a mutual agreement.
He never had to do a damn thing. Until he signed up for it.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

rangerdanger

How about we don't fight a war?
We don't need to be there, we are only hurting the region, not helping.
So it's ok for us to kill as many other human beings as we want? As long as technology does the killing?

edit on 24-10-2013 by rangerdanger because: spelling

If you don't want to fight wars than that is fine but if you do fight them its best to use technology that decreases the amount of lives taken.

Wouldn't you agree?

Sounds like you are on your soapbox preaching anti-war rhetoric while missing the obvious ramifications of what you are implying.

If we don't use drones that means we either use airpower, artillery, or men on the ground, all of which mean more soldiers lives lost as well as innocent civilians.

So are you sure you want to end drone attacks? The targets we are aiming for are not only targets because we can hit them with drones you know. We would be actively trying to eliminate these people regardless.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Merlynn

The government is building more drone complexes, one near where I live (on military post).

This is good news.

The future of all warfare will be robotic so its good to see that we are making strides in this area.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

"We would be actively trying to eliminate these people regardless. ",,,and that ladies and gentleman,,,,is the "gist" of it.

its why??? again,, that eludes me.

<<   2  3 >>

join