It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembering the McDonald's Coffee Burn Victim: What you heard probably wasn't true

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Most of you probably remember the story in the news about Stella Liebeck, who was burned by McDonald's hot coffee and ended up being awarded around 2.9 million dollars by a civil jury. Watch to see how the media turned on this little old lady who just wanted to get McDonalds to lower the temperature on their coffee to save other people from the horrific injury she endured. (Warning: pictures of her injury are shown at around 5:00)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
A fine example of how the MSM manipulates the news and those who watch it.

A flag because people should see this.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I have sat on a couple of juries, and in the pretrial talk, the judge talked both times about how the story was twisted to make the lady look like an idiot and the jury to look like a bunch of dumb yokels.

In reality, McDonalds purposely made their coffee unbearably hot, because they had found that higher temp = fewer refills, and therefore less cost to them. The fact that it was hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns was an afterthougt, if it was considered at all. Even after the verdict and damages, they probably still made money off of it, so it's a net win. Any business with shareholders who care about the bottom line would do the same thing again.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Agreed.

I had no idea her injuries were that bad. Definitely an eye opener.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Konichiwa,

That's why stopped watching television shortly after 9/11.
I threw the thing out and it has remained the second best decision I have ever made.
The only part of "pop culture" anyone need remember is the "cul(l)" part of culture.
Besides, it's not like the MSM doesn't realize it's doomed. Like a mammoth caught in a tar pit, the animal of state run media can smell it's own imminent demise.
The numbers on current viewership do not lie in this respect.
This is why news women will become more prevalent than their male counterparts, their skirts will become shorter and their cleavage more visible. Even when the product is absolute crap, sex STILL sells.
That said, McDonald's isn't really food.
(REAL food rots.)
The only thing a habitual Mickey D's fan can claim is that their insides are rotting and not much else.

-Amitaba-
edit on 24-10-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Eryiedes

VoidHawk

Konichiwa,

That's why stopped watching television shortly after 9/11.
I threw the thing out and it has remained the second best decision I have ever made.
Yep! Threw mine out many years ago now. Once you see through the lies you just cant watch it without getting mad and thats not good for ones health.

Eryiedes
That said, McDonald's isn't really food.
(REAL food rots.)
Yep! I've seen those vids of the non rotting food/substance. I cant believe people still eat it!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Razmijix

All I heard on AM radio, when I used to listen to the multi-millionaire right, was a stupid old lady burned her stupid crotch. Then the stupid jury gave the stupid old lady too much money.

Then tort reform came into the talk to "protect" the companies from these baseless law suits.

If it wasn't for the internet I wonder if I would have found an objective explanation of the real events.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I have always found this particular story fascinating and a clear case of media manipulation. In many circles, it has even become the go-to anecdote about our lawsuit obsessed society. Those poor, poor victimized corporations..

I think once anyone sees the injuries, they will think twice about how "frivolous" this lawsuit might have been. In a way, she was lucky in that it went into her lap instead of her mouth/throat.

top topics

join