It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About The Healthcare Subsidy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
So, I did some digging, as much as I could about how the subsidy actually works, after seeing some questions and posts in other healthcare threads.

This is what I found, if it is correct:

How it works

So, to get your subsidy, you either:
A) Wait for a tax credit at the end of the year, meaning you still have to come up with all that money every month.
B) Can apply for an advance on you tax credit, that will be mailed to the healthcare provider directly.

So, I still have questions that I cannot find answers to. Like how long are you going to have to wait on the government to send that money to the healthcare provider? It's not like they have a history of getting things done in a hurry. Couldn't you be dropped, then have to re apply if they don't send it out in time, and you don't have the money to cover it?
And why aren't they letting people know now that you have to do this, so they can apply? They keep mentioning the subsidy, but it sure is hard to find out the details.
And you are going to have to "estimate" your income to do this, so be sure to read what it says about what happens if your wrong.

I don't understand how anyone can think that the working poor are going to be able to afford this either way.
I know my own sons could not afford this, in any way, shape, form or fashion. I've thanked my boss repeatedly for our continued coverage!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I too have many, many questions about the ACA. Personally, I think it's going to get scrapped. I just don't see (from what I have been reading/hearing) how this is going to be a functional system that actually benefits anyone besides the insurance companies. However...

People are complaining because their current insurance costs are rising. People are upset with the ACA because of the $400 monthly premiums. What people fail to realize is that if you already have insurance through your employer, chances are they subsidize 90% of the overall cost.

I have a friend that pays $250/mo for his insurance through is employer. He was complaining because it used to only cost $140. I asked him to show me one of his pay stubs and I pointed to how much his employer contributes for his insurance. If he had to pay the entire portion himself, he'd be forking out over $1,300 a month.

The overall cost of healthcare needs to be dropped across the board. It shouldn't cost $1,300 a month for what I would consider "comfortable coverage". The healthcare industry is gouging Americans, and claiming we have to foot the bill for research and development.

You'd never see a $10 tylenol in a French hospital.
edit on 24-10-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

You are completely right on the price of healthcare, and the companies that provide the insurance, the cost is just ridiculous.

I can only speak for the company I work for, but the reason they pay as much as they do, right now 100%, is because it is a tax write off for the company at the end of the year. So I get why they do it. But it sure makes it easier on me, because if I had to come up with that much a month, for what I make, I would not be able to eat, I would get no subsidy from the government, and would loose my home.
So for people like myself, who make decent money, not extravagant money, they are the ones that are going to loose big time.

I sure hope you are right about it being scrapped.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Good assessment.

I agree the PPACA does nothing to abate this issue. I hear a lot of talk about it stimulating competition to reduce costs but competition cannot be mandated and it is not aimed at the health care industry directly anyway. It side steps it.

It simply assumes 'oh well' medical care is a zillion dollars. Whatever are we going to do? Let's let the insurance companies figure out what's best for those who cannot afford to hedge against that insane health care cost with their insane insurance product by forcing the public by law to.....buy their insane insurance product.

Brilliant! End of problem.

It is really sad that there are those of lofty intentions in America who actually believed something good was going to come out of this. They actually trusted the politicians and lobbyists to help those in need. They spooned up the hype and now are pointing fingers in every direction because 'obviously' someone undercut the good works pure as the driven snow.

top topics

join