It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salmon patty recipe...Best one I ever created!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Morning All, Last night for dinner I cooked salmon patties, slow cooked white beans/ham, collard greens, and home made biscuits. If you did'nt get it by now...I'm in the South. Back to the reason for this thread. My salmon patty recipe was a work in progress, had been for years. The base for them was from my mom, really good salmon patty, but nothing to rave about. I have tried for years to livin it up a bit. I tried different breads as a filler, different seasonings, but yesterday I acheived( salmon patty bliss) as in they were the best ever. So being so impressed with my own cooking, I decided to share my recipe.

The new ingredient is the binder or bread filler used . Triscuit Crackers....Rosemary & Olive Oil Flavor.

1-can salmon ( I use wild caught pink)
About 1 1/2 cups crushed Rosemary & Olive Oil flavored Triscuits
1/2 teaspoon Rosemary
1- egg
1- small to medium onion ( chopped fine)
1-teaspoon onion powder
2- pieces of fresh white bread ( crumbled into crumbs)
2- big spoons full of Mayonaise ( Dukes Brand Is the best) A Southern Staple Item.

Clean your salmon, mix all ingredients in large bowl, I let mine sit about five minutes after mixing.
Form into patties about 2 to 3 inches in diameter, about 1/2 inch thick.
Fry in a hot pan of oil ( about a half an inch of oil) if your useing cast iron fry pan, less if you use non-stick.
Fry until golden brown then turn, be carefull they suck if you burn em.

I hope you all enjoy them as much as I did. Serve with your favorite southern fare. May I suggest, white beans/ham, collard greens, and home made biscuits. Enjoy. OYM1262

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I will have to try the Triscuit idea, it sounds really good. My kids love salmon patties. We call them salmon 'cakes'.
I also make 'cakes' using tuna and canned white meat chicken. They are good.
I have tried using canned herring, sardines and mackerel.... but the kids gave those the thumbs down.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

That sounds great. I am trying to perfect crab cakes. I like your beans and ham too. I usually don't have time for the slow cooked stuff unless it's a weekend.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

A herrring?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I love every bit of that movie.
Even the naughty bits.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I tried tuna one time...my cats wouldnt even eat them!! Wife told me if I cooked then again it was a divorcable offense!!! Needless to say the tuna is for tuna salad from now on. I'll

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Crock pot is what you need. Throw all into a crock pot and set it and eat goodness about 8 hours later. I'm from the South and beans are a staple item I grew up with. I still love em. Here in the South we season them with country ham or as we call it (flavor). I myself fry mine out a bit and get all the juices going, then add to my beans.

Just seen your from Dunn N.C......I'm in Browns Summitt N.C. Aint it great being in the South? If for nothing else be here for the food!!
edit on 24-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You have to use good tuna.
I use solid white albacore packed in water.
BTW: When you do blackeyed peas with salt pork, do you eat them with a dollop of mayo?

edit on 24-10-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Are you sure, Triscuts ? Do they get soft or stay kind of hard after cooking. Wouldn't it taste like the cracker itself ? Have you used the same ingredient in crab cakes ?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

No mayo in my beans. Maybe some cornbread, or hot peppers at times some chow-chow, a southern relish that at times will lite your bum on fire. Ever fried those black eyed peas? Just smash up the left-overs, dredge in flour and pan fry in a small amount of oil. Really tasty left-over. My mom instilled in me not to waste anything, ever. I think at times when I was young we even at PIG SQUEAL SOUP, even the squeal was'nt wasted!!!!LOL.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tobe2

I was thinking the same thing, until I cooked them. They stayed crisp and had a very easy on the pallet flavor, main thing was the crisp-ness. I will end up trying the different flavors of Triscuits, I used the RoseMary flavor as that's already one of the ingredients of my moms recipe. I just took out all the bread crumbs as the filler and replaced with the crackers. I don't eat crab cakes. Never found the taste appealing.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I am what's called a Damn Yankee. I came here 24 years ago and never left. I like the food, the weather, the people, pretty much everything. One day, I will try to become a biscuit maker. But I will try to do some crock pot beans. Especially now that the temps are right for that sort of thing.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I am what's called a Damn Yankee.

From my experience, they will never let you forget that.
And you will always be a Damn Yankee.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I make salmon patties using mashed potatoes and an egg instead of bread or crackers. Loaded up with onion, dill, and pepper. They're really good. They need to be refrigerated once they're in patty form for a bit to hold together better.

It works well with those tins of canned salmon too when that's all you've got.

The triscuits sound good too, they're really flavourful, and that's the flavour I usually buy.
I'll have to try that.
edit on 24-10-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I have to set you straight. You as some would call you are DAMN YANKEE. I would'nt call you that, some would I would'nt. Now, before I go any further in this reply....All I say next is in pure jest and for amusment purpose's only.
( As in I dont mean it). Yankees like you are refered too as Hemorrhoids, if you come down and then go back up your o.k. But if you come down and stay..your a pain in the a$$. And it's true, most will never let you forget where you came from. Dont feel lost. I lived in N.Y. for 6 years and for the most part all I meet thought I was having sex with my sister and lived in the town of Mayberry.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I generally put a piece of bacon in the pot and cook it down then add a can of black eyed peas, a little salt and pepper. I serve them with stewed tomatoes. 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 1 piece of pepperage farm italian bread broken into pieces,butter,sugar, salt and pepper. Any bread will do but the sesame seeds are great.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I willl have to try that mashed potato method. I could live off potato's. Fried, boiled, baked, potato salad, sweet potato's. I make a meat loaf, well sort of a meat loaf, I line the casserole dish with the meat mixture and fill the middle with mashed potato's. About five minutes before taking out of the oven, I cover the top with cheddar cheese. Mmmm Mmmmm Good!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tobe2

One more ingredient and you have made what we call in the South ( Hoppin John) just add some cut okra and you got Hoppin John. Stewed tomatoes, okra, black eyed peas. I guess they call it that because if you eat to much, you'll be Hoppin to the John.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Love salmon patties and won't stop completely with sea food.

Like mine with onion, spice, dill, a touch of lime, some chopped up scallops or those small inexpensive shrimp/prawn packages that aren't enough for a big family feed, but can really add to the patties. And sometimes a small aount of egg and flour for a light batter is only done if its turned into salmon balls, and deep fried, which is quite nice. Especially if you add some soft cheese like mozzarella to it.
edit on 24-10-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join