It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Geiger counters made in Japan be contaminated and give inconclusive results?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Just was thinking when looking on ebay at Geiger Counters, nearly all are made in around Asia pacific area.
Contamination being from fukashima.

Are these made and calibrated in a clean room?

How do we know this clean room isn't contaminated?

Are we yet to see these area's where these Geiger Counters are made become contaminated places.

I raise this question as its leads to more questions, Would love to hear peoples thoughts and if they have thought the same.

(Not sure if this belongs in skunk works or Japan,, Mods please move it to Japan if need be)
edit on 24/10/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
NO

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

There are various calibration services BTW however unless you're getting a garbage unit nothing to worry about. For it to have been "contaminated" enough to actually change the blunt measurements would take enough I think handling of them - not to mention some shipping monitor ~somewhere~ - would go ape.

Also - in terms of calibration - the sealed tubes inside aren't going to get contaminated so it would detect surface contaminants anyway if they were giving off ionizing radiation.

I think you're a-OK. -Mags

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Why are you concerned that they would be faking it. If they were, the people around the world would quickly discover this and the factory would have to halt production, whatever.

Calibrated sources to test Geiger's are available so you can test your meter to your satisfaction. Having a separately purchased source and two meters to compare with it would be the surest method.

A company that sells faulty equipment wouldn't be in business very long.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by amraks

Why are you concerned that they would be faking it. If they were, the people around the world would quickly discover this and the factory would have to halt production, whatever.

Calibrated sources to test Geiger's are available so you can test your meter to your satisfaction. Having a separately purchased source and two meters to compare with it would be the surest method.

A company that sells faulty equipment wouldn't be in business very long.

My question wasn't implying they are faking it

I am raising the question weather the units could be contaminated due to Fukashima.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Insurrection
reply to post by amraks

There are various calibration services BTW however unless you're getting a garbage unit nothing to worry about. For it to have been "contaminated" enough to actually change the blunt measurements would take enough I think handling of them - not to mention some shipping monitor ~somewhere~ - would go ape.

Also - in terms of calibration - the sealed tubes inside aren't going to get contaminated so it would detect surface contaminants anyway if they were giving off ionizing radiation.

I think you're a-OK. -Mags

So what about radiation that could come with the unit from Fukashima?
Plastic Contamination, A lot of factors to consider.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Insurrection

Its best when using your geiger unit or wand in a contaminated area to put a plastic baggy around it to prevent close contact with radioactive contamination. That can be a bear to clean off the detector.

Though calibration tubes inside the detector are protected, the housing could get contamination on or in it, especially in close contact with sources being tested.

A sandwich baggy and rubber band can be changed, the unit can't.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

stirling
NO

Contribute a bit more next time. that was just a lazy reply.

So why NO?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

I am raising the question weather the units could be contaminated due to Fukashima.

In what way? By throwing them in the reactor?

If it is out of calibration that can be adjusted or tested with a calibration source. Factories calibrate everything they sell.

ETA: I see.

They are in the business of making detectors, they would know. There are things called calibration sources that emit a constant amount of radiation that they use to calibrate detectors (and clean rooms).
edit on 24-10-2013 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by amraks

In what way? By throwing them in the reactor?

If it is out of calibration that can be adjusted or tested with a calibration source. Factories calibrate everything they sell.

ETA: I see.

They are in the business of making detectors, they would know. There are things called calibration sources that emit a constant amount of radiation that they use to calibrate detectors (and clean rooms).
edit on 24-10-2013 by intrptr because: additional

Basically any radiation fall out from fukashima, could it contaminate these factories where some of these are made.
basically radiation fall out soaking into plastics and other materials.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Stirling answered your question perfectly!

Never mind the results returned by the Geiger counters, don't you think electrical/electronic products exported from Japan or anywhere else for that matter would trip the radiological sensors in customs if they were radioactive to any significant degree?
LoL

You should be more concerned over the Seafood they export!
edit on 24-10-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by amraks

Stirling answered your question perfectly!

Never mind the results returned by the Geiger counters, don't you think electrical/electronic products exported from Japan or anywhere else for that matter would trip the radiological sensors in customs if they were radioactive to any significant degree?
LoL

You should be more concerned over the Seafood they export!

You just kinda contradicted yourself without realizing it.

You say customs will pick this up. Then you state to be worried about seafood they export. In saying customs isn't really concerned about it. So yes these would be getting past customs, if any radiation.

I am mainly asking the question because the meter it self would be detecting its own radiation its bought with it and adding background radiation on top of it.

So it could make some Meters inconclusive.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

No contradiction i'm afraid one does not eat electrical/electronic products, seafood on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.

I would have thought Japan would be importing Geiger counters by now rather than exporting them given the demand that the public must have for said device.

I suppose it's definitely a growth industry, certainly a must have item to have in ones stocking for Kurisumasu.

I know I would want one if I was any where Fukushima.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

Basically any radiation fall out from fukashima, could it contaminate these factories where some of these are made.

Sure why not? You seem to be looking for a specific answer to satisfy you.

"Fallout" from Fukushima is going to increase as time goes by. The nature of radioactive contamination is that it tends to be absorbed by living things, accumulating more the higher up the food chain.

Products manufactured in Japan and shipped around the world are being monitored for radiation at destination ports. This has happened with cars, produce, and other stuff. It happens because someone didn't test the material before it left or evaded the protocols and shipped anyway.

Radiation detection equipment is the most tested before it leaves the factory even. There is no way they would allow it. People would complain right away that their expensive detector is erroneous and want their money back.

There is no point to following this. If you aren't satisfied with the answers given here by members who took the time to respond then you have some kind of agenda that you aren't being honest about.

Ebay

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by amraks

Sure why not? You seem to be looking for a specific answer to satisfy you.

"Fallout" from Fukushima is going to increase as time goes by. The nature of radioactive contamination is that it tends to be absorbed by living things, accumulating more the higher up the food chain.

Products manufactured in Japan and shipped around the world are being monitored for radiation at destination ports. This has happened with cars, produce, and other stuff. It happens because someone didn't test the material before it left or evaded the protocols and shipped anyway.

Radiation detection equipment is the most tested before it leaves the factory even. There is no way they would allow it. People would complain right away that their expensive detector is erroneous and want their money back.

There is no point to following this. If you aren't satisfied with the answers given here by members who took the time to respond then you have some kind of agenda that you aren't being honest about.

Ebay

Hey I am not fulfilling any agenda it was just a interesting question that popped up in my mind.

I was just wondering if the housing for the unit could become contaminated and you have answered this by saying they do test these with to the regulations in place.

But guess there will be a time coming soon where nothing will be exported out of japan if it gets bad.

I am looking at building my own Geiger Counter from a kit, just for something to do.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by amraks

No problem.

But guess there will be a time coming soon where nothing will be exported out of japan if it gets bad.

Except radiation. Pandora's box is open. Theres no putting that stuff back. The levels will continue to rise as time goes on.

Good idea to acquire a detector to check your local environment, the food and water you consume. Its a personal thing for your own sanity and safety.

Can't really depend on "official" sources to be honest about it. Their regimen mandates silence to keep from creating panic. Corporations will sell you tainted food too rather than dump it. They have to care more about their company than you. If you can afford a manufactured personal detector then do.

I can tell you about good ones, but there are a ton of YouTubes. AntiProtons has exhaustive reviews on his channel and he is good.

regards,

intrptr

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

amraks
Just was thinking when looking on ebay at Geiger Counters, nearly all are made in around Asia pacific area.
Contamination being from fukashima.

Are these made and calibrated in a clean room?

Are we yet to see these area's where these Geiger Counters are made become contaminated places.

I raise this question as its leads to more questions, Would love to hear peoples thoughts and if they have thought the same.

(Not sure if this belongs in skunk works or Japan,, Mods please move it to Japan if need be)

These are closed systems. Now if the parts that go into them were contaminated before they were manufactured it would be possible but then they would not pass quality control. The chances of all the stars aligning are very slim. You are safe.

The Bot

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Sept. 20, 2013: Tokyo's Daily Radiation Readings NOW Equivalent to Background Radiation Levels BEFORE March 11, 2011, Underscoring the Big Lie of Fukushima Radiation Hysteria

"Tokyo is 124 miles from the Daiichi Nuclear Power station in Fukushima prefecture, while Los Angeles is 5,541 miles from Tokyo. If "tons" (1) of plutonium had been spewed into the air from the Daiichi power station, as some Japan radiation hysteria promoters (E.g. Steven Jones, globalresearch.com.ca, see Footnote 1 at bottom of page) have wildly claimed, then you would have seen a HUGE and unprecedented up tick in Tokyo readings BEFORE such radiation could ever traverse the entire Pacific Ocean and show up on the west coast of America."

The background radiation readings in Tokyo have only IMPROVED -- as predicted -- since my last Tokyo radiation update on December 3, 2012, and now equal the background radiation levels recorded in Tokyo BEFORE the 3/11 attack on Japan and the nuclear bomb sabotage operations executed at the Daiichi Nuclear Power station on March 11, and 12 of 2011, a story exclusively broken and made public at this web site on March 12, 2011. The unrelenting torrent of outright fabrications, exaggeration, and hyperbole undertaken by Fukushima radiation hysteria promoters at EneNews (enenews.com...), or rense.com, or on every Leftist media outlet across America to pump up the unfounded assertion that Japan and the entire world is now engulfed in the death fog of a Fukushima radiation "catastrophe" that now is claiming to exceed (no less!) the radiation contamination caused by the Chernobyl disaster is an absurdity on steroids.

都内の環境放射線量調査
1日単位の測定結果
(Environmental radiation levels in Tokyo / day)
monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp...

top topics

join