It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anybody on this forum read up on Seth (of Jane Roberts fame)?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Good Luck!

I believe you've began a walk down a new path of awakening and I'm happy for you! I think you'll find Seth to be a warm, caring, humorous and intelligent teacher.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

Thank you for the introduction to Bashar, Kauskau - as you say he comes over very well on video, and seems to share a similar view of the big picture with Seth.
I understand that English is not your first language, which leads me to believe that you will have explored your own interests within English literature.
I'd be very interested to know what you have found to be of interest, and for what you may still be looking.

Back to Bashar, thanks again,

mistersmith.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mistersmith

nisargadatta 'i am that'
was an eye opener also books from wei wu wei (terence grey) what im looking for now is not book knowledge. its time to fully awaken to my nature. which books would you have listed as an answer to your question.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Oh, man. You are in for a ride, trust me. That book is how I got initiated into Seth. The funny thing is that for the longest time it was collecting dust. But when I started reading it, I couldn't put it down for the life of me. You picked the right one.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Trust me, Seth can be hard work. There's a part in The Nature of the Psyche (I'm not sure if you were the one who was reading that one) where he asks you to do certain associative exercises. Those exercises are hard work; I have to revisit most of them.
Yeah, it's not a walk in the park sometimes.

edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 14:58:41 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

Wow. That video about marijuana was excellent and very funny. I clicked on watch later for the longer one; it's very long. I will watch it, though. Thanks for that. I'm convinced!

edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 14:59:18 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

Wow, that's interesting. I would have loved to have had that experience. You're one of the lucky ones, because I remember reading that she was getting so many calls after a certain point that she stopped receiving calls. Thanks for sharing that.

edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 15:58:29 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I like the phrase "fully awaken to my nature," and certainly Osho and Seth have got their place, but to "find myself" I have to interact with the world.
Any book which raises my sense of wonder, and helps me appreciate the nature and history of my surroundings, serves to sharpen my senses.

If I realise that a depression in the ground is actually part of a Roman fort, then walking past it becomes a richer experience for me. You could say I find myself in my reaction to stimuli.

Also in comparison.
Lin Yutang's book "The Importance of Living," has much to say on human nature, comparing east with west, and reminding me of the importance of small things.

Since I'm an electro-chemical organism, with meridians identified by acupuncture, living on a planet similarly quickened by meridians we know as Ley lines, and I know that electrical fields interact, understanding how I operate at this level is also germane. Alfred Watkins' book "The Old Straight Track" was the first of many .... it reminds me that if I want to understand what I am, it helps to remember that I'm part of what I'm standing on.

Creativity is important for me too, I've learned things working at a bench that I'd never get from books, but reading John Ruskin shaped my career as a blacksmith, and delineated my responsibilities as an artist ...

And since self-discovery is never so intensely exciting as when I'm hanging on to the handlebars of my old BMW, my inevitable encounters with the instruction manual when disaster strikes tell me all I need to know about my incompetence and forgetfulness.

But at least with machines -- there's an instruction book.
Not millions of failed attempts.

mistersmith.
edit on 26-10-2013 by mistersmith because: full stops are important.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Thanks for posting those books. I'm not trying to police anyone with my next question, of course. I'm just curious for myself. Are those metaphysical books or are they just standard literature (fiction)?

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Mmm... that doesn't seem as legit as Seth. I'll pass to be honest with you. No offense. I think everyone has a deep yearning for Seth right now.

Good luck with that.......

No offense, but chance are you'll be right here on ATS 10 years from now, still talking about Seth, but no completion, no Enlightenment. I know at least a dozen folks who grew up with the Seth books, and are exactly in the same place where they started from, still Unenlightened..... but hey, if it floats your boat to continue being a seeker....by all means

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Thanks for that judgement call about my future. I also find it hilarious how you say that you know people who have read the Seth books and are still un-enlightened. If you had actually read the Seth books you would know that Seth spoke about concepts that were beyond fairy-tales of enlightenment and other outdated concepts. If you are *truly* a truth-seeker, I would highly recommend that you read some Seth books. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not even saying that enlightenment isn't possible, however I'm saying that there's more to life than just simply being "enlightened". An infant is not "enlightened," but would you not say that an infant, in its own way, is perfect? I would highly encourage you to read them. You will be different. I think that enlightenment may even be something to be desired, but enlightenment is gained by living your life and being fully in the moment; by participating in it. Not by running off into the dark to seek after the latest technique.

Edit: I also want to add that if your friends weren't able to fully articulate what the Seth books were about, then I personally wouldn't judge any book based on just that. Also, there's much more about Seth's philosophy than I could possibly explain on this modest thread. He authored several books. But on the other hand if your friends were able to articulate in a very successful way what the books were about to you, then all I have to say is: Wow. I'm speechless. You have no excuse for not reading them, then.
edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 17:45:03 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I find it difficult to classify so I stick with what resonates.
Watkins is intuitive, explorative.
Ruskin is weird, and inspired.
Lin Yutang is old and wise.

So I'd say they are standard literature, fiction written with a metaphysical awareness. Inert until discovered.

But then if words were sufficient, we wouldn't need Mozart.

Back to topic, has anyone else read Jane's channelling of William James?
I'd be really interested to hear ......

mistersmith.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I read the first book long ago and bought the 2nd but never finished. I think about the same time I got interested in Carlos Castenada and read all those books.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Thanks for that judgement call about my future.

I'm not judging your future I'm saying I know a dozen folks who got super deep into Seth, and still remain with the same problems they had when they started, depression, alcoholism, unhappy, feeling like something is missing. I too have read those books and there are a bunch of things in there that can be sourced from other paths & traditions, if you dig deep enough.

You want to know something? All the traditions say you will not be happy and complete til you find God or Enlightenment, which is actually a really simple thing and very possible. So the question then is what is Seth's success rate of bringing people to a higher, complete state? From what I have seen and met, so far its 0%. But that's just 12 for 12.

I also find it hilarious how you say that you know people who have read the Seth books and are still un-enlightened. If you had actually read the Seth books you would know that Seth spoke about concepts that were beyond fairy-tales of enlightenment and other outdated concepts.

Okay, so your "concept" and "projection" as that you think enlightenment is a fariy-tale and a concept....you've just revealed your whole hand with that one. IF Enlightenment is fairy tales and concepts, so is Seth.

If you are *truly* a truth-seeker, I would highly recommend that you read some Seth books. Who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I have read them and they are limited. I'll stay with Nonduality, Advaita, Mahasi, Christian Mysticism.....but thanks for the invite

I'm not even saying that enlightenment isn't possible, however I'm saying that there's more to life than just simply being "enlightened".

Enlightenment, by its very nature, includes everything and is all of life!!!!

An infant is not "enlightened," but would you not say that an infant, in its own way, is perfect?

Enlightenment includes the state of consciousness we had in infanthood.

I would highly encourage you to read them. You will be different. I think that enlightenment may even be something to be desired, but enlightenment is gained by living your life and being fully in the moment; by participating in it. Not by running off into the dark to seek after the latest technique.

Who said anything about running off into the dark..... Its more like going within and turning on the light

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Interesting. I hope I remember to look into them. I personally haven't read the books where she channelled famous people. I wouldn't be surprised if they were remarkable, as she was an excellent channeller.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Whoa, im up to page 80 now of "seth speaks". I think for my own good, i need to slow down now, even though im lapping it up I feel like my brain is becoming saturated with info. Its hard work, such a lot to take in. I think it might be time for a visit to amazon as well, i find it easier to read books than read online. Nice to see this discussion continuing btw.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

hey kauskau, how ya doing buddy. Nice to see you having a more positive response to your bashar info than you normally get,

Nice peeps on this thread.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

What you say about your friends being alcoholics, depressed and feeling like something's missing: I can say that I'm not an alcoholic, depressed and feel like something's missing. I'm not perfect, and I do have my own problems, but I'm positive that the problems that I have are not because I sought Seth and not "enlightenment." I also think that your friends wouldn't be very happy about judging their outside circumstances and applying that to Seth. Besides, nobody is perfect, and I would bet that even though you may be enlightened, you also have problems, as we don't live in a perfect world. It is perfect in its own way, but I'm almost positive that it will never be judged "perfect." Perfection is actually a concept that Seth touches upon.

I also don't like the implication that I'm trying to win an argument. I'm just trying to clear up some misconceptions about Seth.

I also don't like that you're twisting my words. You're not adding the fact that I said outdated concepts, not just concepts.

Also, you can stick with whatever you want. As you said to me, "whatever floats your boat." More Seth for us.

I also, want to say that I'm glad that you know what enlightenment is truly about. However, I don't think that enlightenment is running to this technique and that technique. True enlightenment is knowing what works for you, it's not about adhering to one-size-fits-all methods of achieving it.

I also want to add that I didn't mean that enlightenment is a fairy-tale; obviously it exists. I meant that it's a fairy-tale in that the way it's usually promised is flawed. Especially as far as the way to achieve it goes. I would also like to add that enlightenment is just a word. It can mean anything you want it to mean.
edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 18:18:31 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 18:25:24 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

edit on bSat, 26 Oct 2013 18:51:20 -0500pm298America/Chicago10pmSaturday26America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Seth is good for your brain... hahaha. Take it in at any rate that you feel comfortable with.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I would like to apologize for all the also's in my reply to Dominicus. I could edit it and take out all the also's, but it would take a bazillion edits to take out all those also's.

I would also like to add...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join