It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone find it odd that Comet ISON, Is hearsay this, made up that, ect. Except you can not find

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by HoboHumpinSloboBabe

nice reply,thanks for the back fellow atser,hahahah,cheers from australia

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

You sure do your math! Loved the intro too! Now I'm even mixed up. Back in Jan, April we had pictures and now we don't? Odd to say the least. Just think another 20 days and it might show itself, yes, no, yes.

Tomorrow it will change again, oh boy! Do keep the info coming! Thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

It still comes down to Distance vs. Equipment.

Deep Impact would need to move a lot closer to provide detailed pictures of ISON. The Imager of Deep Impact is not the same as a large telescopic device (IE Hubble, or any other large telescopes here on Earth).

It boils down to having a camera close to something vs. having a camera attached to a telescope. While a telescope can have great resolving power, it will never be as good as actually being there with a camera on hand.

It's like asking why Hubble can't give us the same images as HiRISE of Mars. One is a telescope and camera over 36 million miles away (at it's closest) the other directly in orbit right over Mars.

Here: The best picture ever taken of the Asteroid Vesta (from Hubble)

Image from the Dawn Spacecraft when it was in orbit around Vesta:

The first is a huge telescope taking a picture from a great distance, the 2nd is taken with a camera and telephoto lens but is very close to the object.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

mclinking

research3300
here is couple articles on comets and possible connections to the major plagues:

Comets & Contagion
Viruses, Bacteria & Diseases from Space
journalofcosmology.com...

Different theory:
cassiopaea.org...

more speculation:
mb-soft.com...

comets delivering life?
arxiv.org...

As opposed to the resident 'expert' here re matters of astronomy, it is most refreshing to have a poster here providing well-documented sources. I hereby express my personal thanks.

Sweet! More reading to do. !,000 Thank You's. Interesting links I will have to read. Tail of the Dragon, maybe. Nothing happens passing the tail or does it? So the plot thicken, yet left untouched by You Tube!

Never forget History right? Sir again Thanks!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

SheopleNation

TheNewSense
It is wiser not too worry about everything that could possibly go wrong with anything, but it is your prerogative.

Well thank you for informing me of my rights. I agree with you though, because I believe that negative thoughts can have a negative effect on circumstances. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't spend much time worrying about things that I cannot control. I do like to talk about the Universe, comets and possible other worldly beings though. Have a great day. ~$heopleNation

Remembering sometimes that the Neg is still connected to the positive. You could try to stay in the Pos yet the neg would only show itself more later. Circumstances do have a mind of their own sometimes.

Worrying does not do any good unless you actually done something wrong in the first place. Pondering something that could have an impact on one life only helps someone be some what prepared later if something were to go off the deep end.

As for Worldly Beings, have been here for a long time. No one can say why, ideas out there and most seem to be they are helping us out. Why? Another story to consider yet when the meteors fell, some vid's did show something stopping them. Well a ball of light anyway.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

So not seeing it your way is a misunderstanding?

No, not understanding whats been said or written is a misunderstanding and one on your part as I will show again because you still seem to missing it.

You said it would be reckless and I agreed it would if the observations were strange compared to past comets and added that what is observed seems to follow what has been observed in other comets.

Not all Comets are the same, what's been observed in the past will not guarantee what will be observed in the future. Do you comprehend what I just said?

Yes I comprehend,

Ison isn't a comet in the future, its been observed for a while now and is following whats been predicted

I don't believe that you yourself even understands what argument you're attempting to make. Please continue though, it's quite entertaining.

Glad to entertain,

here you go, grab your popcorn and a cold beverage

On page 4 poster Soylent Green posted this

I suppose you are trying to say "well, it is possible that it came into our solar system from the outside after our solar system formed", and I guess that it is possible (just like almost anything is "possible"), but there is no reason to suspect that ISON is any different than every other comet out there. We can say "maybe ISON is different", but that would be baseless wild speculation.

With your reply to this being the very next post on the same page

Sure, Just as saying that "there is no reason to suspect that ISON IS any different from every other comet out there" is a reckless assumption. I mean, what reason could there be that would cause you to suspect? Not all Comets are the same, the Universe is much too vast to believe otherwise. I mean you and I could go on all day about what is, what isn't and what could be. One thing is for certain though, we don't know. ~$heopleNation

In which I stuck my nose in and replied with these questions to you

If it behaves as predicted why would it be reckless to assume such when that is how other results and knowledge is gained through experimentation? Is ISON doing something strange, as opposed to what other comets did when coming into the neighborhood?

I was asking these question because my understanding is that ISON is behaving as predicted and in past from scientific theories, experiments would be set up to prove or disprove the theory.

Your reply made no sense,

Oh really now? So what "experimentation" are you doing? Have you flown and landed on comet ISON in order to conduct your so-called experiment, Please explain if you like?

you started asking me if I had flown and landed on ISON and what experimentation I am doing, why?

Have I flown and landed on ISON

Then continues with

Who claimed that ISON was ever doing something strange? You can try to explain that as well, but let's use a little logic and not fabricate arguments that nobody even made.

Yes arguments no one made, if you are following I asked the question if it is doing something strange as opposed to other comets? because like I said before from my understanding its not.

forget logic just pay attention to what you're reading.

Exactly, so do you have any personal knowledge or theories of your own other than standing on other peoples shoulders while ranting about who quoted what or who asked who a question?

I have a vast amount of knowledge just like any other and many theories of my own,

Who's shoulders am I standing on that you can see?

Whats that got to do with ISON and OP finding it hard to get solid info on it?

But I thought you said it's been observed, and follows what has been observed in the past, so that makes your mind already made up now does it not? Man, you're tripping over your own words.

Yes, and that is why there is no reason to freak out or think its reckless to use assumptions based on previous data that from observation of this comet could be applied.

your view as pointed out by your reply to Soylent is it would reckless to make those assumptions because we just don't know and anything is possible which I agreed it would be reckless just on its own but added some conditions which showed its not reckless to follow a path thats lead to the correct destination in the past, that being scientific theory.

its acting as predicted is it not?

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

That does make sense. I appreciate the response Erik. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

InhaleExhale
Yes, and that is why there is no reason to freak out or think its reckless to use assumptions based on previous data that from observation of this comet could be applied.

Nobody is freaking out, we are having a discussion so calm down.

your view as pointed out by your reply to Soylent is it would reckless to make those assumptions because we just don't know and anything is possible which I agreed it would be reckless just on its own but added some conditions which showed its not reckless to follow a path thats lead to the correct destination in the past, that being scientific theory.

That is just it, you choose to go by former observations and I choose to keep an open mind until the end when I can then, and only then, validate your theory that it will end up acting just like any other Comet. We simply have two different approaches to it all. It's called having a difference of opinion, happens every day here.

Thus far, yes. Let's wait and see what happens as it makes it's way around the Sun. If it makes it anyway. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

mclinking

research3300
here is couple articles on comets and possible connections to the major plagues:

Comets & Contagion
Viruses, Bacteria & Diseases from Space
journalofcosmology.com...

Different theory:
cassiopaea.org...

more speculation:
mb-soft.com...

comets delivering life?
arxiv.org...

As opposed to the resident 'expert' here re matters of astronomy, it is most refreshing to have a poster here providing well-documented sources. I hereby express my personal thanks.

Wanted to thank you again. After reading just 2 of the 4 links has me awake now. As some would say, just a comet passing by, if some of you haven't read any of these links. Go ahead and take a look, ponder and get back to me.

Would have not known it could go even deeper just being a comet. Something did catch my attention, DNA? How could some humans actually have a known cure yet others none at all? This is before their were any flu shots so somehow it was passed down or some already had it built within their DNA.

For each and every Comet passing there has been some kind of virus somewhere on the planet. Good news for the ones who would say Life is possible in Space. Sad news it that the idea of comets Just Passing, odds are strange sickness follows. Why would they leave any of this out in the first place?

Most have lived through the passing of a few comets and never had any problems to speak of. Yet History tells a different story or at least a warning. While I do not play the fear game since just going to work the odds are higher, crap happens and knowing new things might give you an edge later; like having a dusk mask handy!

So it would seem passing through a comets tail is something more then a good show of lights. How would one, just in case be ready? So far I haven't heard of any ideas out there, not even considered, left untouched and not even talked about. Could explain why I find it odd, yet it is my understanding seeing it that way.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

SheopleNation

InhaleExhale

Nobody is freaking out, we are having a discussion so calm down.

That is just it, you choose to go by former observations and I choose to keep an open mind until the end when I can then, and only then, validate your theory that it will end up acting just like any other Comet. We simply have two different approaches to it all. It's called having a difference of opinion, happens every day here.

Thus far, yes. Let's wait and see what happens as it makes it's way around the Sun. If it makes it anyway. ~$heopleNation

No freaking out! Its not like you could go outside and say Stop, could you? Only by having an Open Mind you get to choose what is best for you. No right or wrong ideas, just be open to anything!

Today's world and the ideas that follow Science, most follow what they actually say yet somehow it just does not feel right to you. Have any of you noticed that Science and the Church have been fighting each other since day one! Always having an answere yet somehow both will not work with each other.

Some have left both and decided to find another Way. They are the ones who have it hard, having to override both just to have a say in anything. Yet now with computers and the net, one has the choice to see all sides. In the end, it comes down to you to decide what is good, works for you, feels right.

And with all the info floating around, it changes everyday. Point is, nothing is ever a fact. Saying that the sun coming up everyday still is not a fact, since one day it might not. Fact is only based upon what is known sofar, really now. Is there any know fact's of anything sofar today?

Be back soon, going to see if any new info on Ison has come in. Take Care!

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I guess this thread has been not really about ISON (just one of thousands of comets that has been visiting us in human history) but about taking a stab at science and letting your imagination fly free. Yes, let's disregard the fact that science has been studying the universe using scientific method (as opposed to religious doctrines and superstition), making succesfull predictions, allowing us have advanced medicine, cars, planes, spaceflight, the Internet to discuss these things, and an unprecendented insight into stars, planets, galaxies, etc. including our own planet.

Suppose ISON will pass us by like an ordinary comet. Will have people learned something from this? Or will they start another "campaign" against science and its predictions when another comet comes along? That's one of the biggest differences between science and the anti-science crowd: science learns.

Can the Sun not rise tomorrow (or even in a few hundred year's time)? You mentioned this possibility, but have you considered what this possibility would imply? The Sun cannot disappear, or go out like a candle. The Earth cannot stop spinning just like that. There would have to be some titanic force to have it stop, and that kind of force would shatter our planet into rubble. And that force would have to come from some very massive object, which we would be able to see approaching for decades before it gets here.

Thinking "we don't know everything, therefore anything can happen" is a fallacy. We wouldn't be where we are now if we thought like that. We would still live in stone age if it weren't for science. Science is behind all the technologies we use, from forging metal and making tools and structures out of it, to agriculture and medicine.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

wildespace
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I guess this thread has been not really about ISON (just one of thousands of comets that has been visiting us in human history) but about taking a stab at science and letting your imagination fly free. Yes, let's disregard the fact that science has been studying the universe using scientific method (as opposed to religious doctrines and superstition), making succesfull predictions, allowing us have advanced medicine, cars, planes, spaceflight, the Internet to discuss these things, and an unprecendented insight into stars, planets, galaxies, etc. including our own planet.

Suppose ISON will pass us by like an ordinary comet. Will have people learned something from this? Or will they start another "campaign" against science and its predictions when another comet comes along? That's one of the biggest differences between science and the anti-science crowd: science learns.

Can the Sun not rise tomorrow (or even in a few hundred year's time)? You mentioned this possibility, but have you considered what this possibility would imply? The Sun cannot disappear, or go out like a candle. The Earth cannot stop spinning just like that. There would have to be some titanic force to have it stop, and that kind of force would shatter our planet into rubble. And that force would have to come from some very massive object, which we would be able to see approaching for decades before it gets here.

Thinking "we don't know everything, therefore anything can happen" is a fallacy. We wouldn't be where we are now if we thought like that. We would still live in stone age if it weren't for science. Science is behind all the technologies we use, from forging metal and making tools and structures out of it, to agriculture and medicine.

Good point! Except look at where we are today, could say its better
Yet somehow you have forgotten how life, trees, sinkholes, sea life washing up dead, birds falling dead, shall I go on? Yes we have gone a long way, have cool stuff yet at what cost?

It is about Ison, comets and the like. So what you are saying is at no time in our past, comets had no effect on anything? Allow the good, forget about the bad. No "campaign" here, only considering why things are left out in the Eq. Oh its good now, for the time being. I actually like science, I just see some flaws. Most of the time its the quick fixes I worry about.

Fact is, almost anything is possible really. Yet we somehow place ideas into facts and now its safe, no need to ponder anything anymore. We are still in the Stone Ages, just happen to come across some new ideas and yet, what if the power goes down, run out of oil, both are soon to happen yet we spend the money elsewhere. Lose either one and Hello Dark Ages!

Its already been said that we can see only 10% of whats out there; science again, there is no way to keep track of them all! How could we anyway, more of a chance of some Space Junk falling on your house someday! Either way, I'm not bad mouthing science, just see the need to look beyond then the fix it now idea. And by the way, no we can not see anything coming our way, by the time we see it coming, sofar we have less then 3 yrs to do something; being nice on this one! Since what could we do about it now? So lets say we could stop a comet and the likes, lets go with USA. Blow it to bits yet it falls down on China, saved the US yet doom somewhere else. Would Sorry be of any help? We have a long way to go, to say its a fact, were safe, just another comet, yet leave out any other known facts is just Stupid.

And yes the Sun could go out, the moon can leave orbit, we can pole shift, lose all fresh water, large earthquakes, bigger storms, solar storms, are you kidding? Heard cell phones cause cancer, no way in hell right? No chance of anything, we are so good right now, yet why is their so much Death unexplained right now? Lets go with something simple, Bees.

Using an open mind yet science would say they do not know whats causing the die off of bees. Anyone considered the GM Food we now have? If it has no taste, maybe the bees do not like it either, or all the spraying has done some harm yet we still do it.

I might not know much, so many things out there based upon facts. I tend to see many sides of just one idea. One known Fact is if we continue to take and not give back, we shall see what we created. In the 80's it was called Global Warming, what shall we call it now?

I do see a hush, now all of a sudden a care to prepare yet it is safe. If you find something odd, would you not look at every possible way or would you accept what people say as fact? Until you yourself can say anything is a fact, one must go through all the ideas, ways, history, and the like to find the reason for the oddness. Why have a brain if you do not use it? So far I can tell, being open and questioning everything leads to a better understanding. Thats how one Learn for themselves.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Is comet ISON behaving normally? I would say 'No'. There is a video of its interaction with Mars when it approached said planet, not recorded by NASA in public shutdown and denied by Phage. Anyway, this is the latest I can get on ISON :

www.space.com...

Which seems to be baffling the experts. Of course, we could always ask Phage.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

mclinking
Is comet ISON behaving normally? I would say 'No'. There is a video of its interaction with Mars when it approached said planet, not recorded by NASA in public shutdown and denied by Phage. Anyway, this is the latest I can get on ISON :

www.space.com...

It isn't behaving exactly as comets are thought to behave, but that may simply mean we have more to learn about comets. I wouldn't read too much into that story, except for the idea that our understanding of comets is ongoing.

Comets are not all created equal. It is already known that some are more dirty than icy (showy dirt balls); some are more icy than dirty (dirty snowballs). But both of these types of comets are thought to be a relatively loose amalgamation of dirt and ice.

These new observations of ISON may suggest that ISON is more solid -- more rocky. The fact that the ratio of gas and dust being released from the comet seems to be wrong (the ratio weighing too heavily on the gas side) may mean that ISON is rocky and solid (hence the reason for not releasing a lot of dust), BUT it could also be porous and/or craggy, with lots of caverns/holes/nooks for ice and other volatiles to exist -- hence the reason for the increased off-gassing.

However, and having said this, there is no reason to believe it is anything other than a harmless comet.

edit on 11/3/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

mclinking

www.space.com...

My my my what a surprise? Whatever in the World do we have here?

It's a story that frequently repeats itself. People who believe that they know everything and have all the answers, yet once again it's proven that they do not. Now imagine that, no it can't possibly be the case?

Now be sure to stay tuned for this weeks episode of cosmic back pedal. Starring.............The usual close-minded suspects. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

mclinking

www.space.com...

Phage, is interesting. One would have thought to include the other comet, yet now 4 flying in space. Okay, sure nothing but a comet, 4 comets? I heard moving to the center of the univ might have its possibiltys, seems its going to be a interesting show in the sky. Thats all it is, right?

Hopefully someone riding either of the 4 comets will not sleep while driving! Talk of 4 horseman; have thought how one would actually get to ride a Special Horse! Looked at the word horse. other then riding one lone ago, use of, means riding!

Yet somehow if we can see up there. would have we been told of all 4 and the odds of having all 4 at the same time way back in Feb. Again left out for reasons alone, now that most can actually see them by themselves, one would think Nasa would go all out with this one! Two hr special, hype it up to be so Great a show we would all tune in too.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join