It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone find it odd that Comet ISON, Is hearsay this, made up that, ect. Except you can not find

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

However, I must say that I am just a bit concerned about Earth passing through it's tail.

And this concern is based on what?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

What I would like to talk about is do we even accept what is being told is actually true?

We?

I believe it is true even if it is a deception, its a true lie then.

What you, I and someone else accept as being true is from the observers point of view and each of us are individual observers so what each except as true could be similar, the same or completely different.

We only know a small factor and thats it!

You assume we know a small factor because you are assuming to know what others might or might not know.

But I tend to agree with this about "us" knowing and I believe many others do as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

peter vlar
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, I used to love Thundarr the Barbarian on Saturday mornings too.

LMAO! That response was priceless! I loved that show as a kid, and you stayed on topic because of the meteorite impact that happens in the beginning. While on the subject, I swear I saw Ookla The Mok one time while walking through the woods. True story. ~$heopleNation

edit on 29-10-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Oh really now? So what "experimentation" are you doing? Have you flown and landed on comet ISON in order to conduct your so-called experiment, Please explain if you like?

Top secret experimentation, shhhh don't tell anyone.

I haven't flown to and landed to on ISON in order to conduct my so -called experiment because I never said I did or would, I asked the question and will repeat again

If it behaves as predicted why would it be reckless to assume such when that is how other results and knowledge is gained through experimentation?

I asked that question in relation to what you wrote and I quoted before asking you that question.

you said

Sure, Just as saying that "there is no reason to suspect that ISON IS any different from every other comet out there" is a reckless assumption.

so I asked

If it behaves as predicted why would it be reckless to assume such when that is how other results and knowledge is gained through experimentation?

Do you understand,

I am saying it would be reckless but asking the question is it, its been observed and follows whats been observed in other passing comets, so I asked the question I did followed by another that you seem to be misunderstanding.

Who claimed that ISON was ever doing something strange? You can try to explain that as well, but let's use a little logic and not fabricate arguments that nobody even made.

Why would I try explain that?

Lets use some logic yes I agree.

I asked a question and you quoted it in your reply,

do you not understand the question, you are now asking the same one so what is so hard to understand?

Well your "suspicions" are nothing more than speculation or theories, now aren't they my friend? Let's just stick to what we know, which is not a lot concerning the entire picture. We sure like to assume that we know everything though, now don't we humans?

I am talking about science and its theories and speculations not mine.

That is how it works and how we gain knowledge, through theory and the experimentation to prove those theories.

You can go on about knowing and not knowing all you want, leave the new age crap out of a space exploration thread and let science be the discussion.

Well that depends on what we were, or are currently attempting to do. While on the subject though, who ever suggested that we not keep an open mind about everything concerning the Universe?

What?

To do things that we don't know but have suspicions about, we experiment.

I don't know who ever suggested that we not keep an open mind about everything concerning the universe,

Do we know everything concerning the universe to suggest such?

If that is being done then we wouldn't be experimenting would we?

In fact, that is exactly the point that I have tried hard to make here in this thread. Go back and read it, then get back to me after you have.

NO thanks that would be derailing a thread Comet Ison and OPs position that you cant get good info on it and that something strange is about.

I agree with the feelings the OP is having concerning many things happening but have different reasons for this happening and humanity as a whole and as individuals feeling the way it does.
edit on 29-10-2013 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

TheNewSense
And this concern is based on what?

Hey you're back!

Well, maybe because of this? Course NASA is saying ISON's closest approach will be 40 million miles from Earth, so who knows. ~$heopleNation

C/2012 S1 (ISON)

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Are you concerned with cars hitting you when you walk on the sidewalk? It is possible but is it a rational fear?

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

InhaleExhale

Because there is this star in our Solar system which we call the Sun which can have an effect on objects such as ISON, which means things can change. That is if it survives it.

I am saying it would be reckless but asking the question is it, its been observed and follows whats been observed in other passing comets, so I asked the question I did followed by another that you seem to be misunderstanding.

So not seeing it your way is a misunderstanding? That is interesting. Not all Comets are the same, what's been observed in the past will not guarantee what will be observed in the future.

Do you comprehend what I just said?

Lets use some logic yes I agree.

Oh please do.

I asked a question and you quoted it in your reply,

do you not understand the question, you are now asking the same one so what is so hard to understand?

I don't believe that you yourself even understands what argument you're attempting to make. Please continue though, it's quite entertaining.

I am talking about science and its theories and speculations not mine.

Exactly, so do you have any personal knowledge or theories of your own other than standing on other peoples shoulders while ranting about who quoted what or who asked who a question?

That is how it works and how we gain knowledge, through theory and the experimentation to prove those theories.

Which have also been proven many times to be wrong. You see, things change. Do you understand?

You can go on about knowing and not knowing all you want

I know, and I will.

leave the new age crap out of a space exploration thread and let science be the discussion.

But I thought this thread was a discussion about if anyone was finding something odd about comet ISON? Are you sure you're in the right thread? Are you mad? Don't come unhinged, calm down now.

And who the hell mentioned anything about any "new age crap"? Do you have some personal vendetta against our new age friends here on ATS or something? Hatred towards others is no way to live my friend, I gotta tell yuh.

What?

Huh?

To do things that we don't know but have suspicions about, we experiment.

Well then experiment your little heart out buddy! I myself will consider your theories while keeping an open mind.

I don't know who ever suggested that we not keep an open mind about everything concerning the universe, Do we know everything concerning the universe to suggest such? If that is being done then we wouldn't be experimenting would we?

But I thought you said it's been observed, and follows what has been observed in the past, so that makes your mind already made up now does it not? Man, you're tripping over your own words.

NO thanks that would be derailing a thread Comet Ison and OPs position that you cant get good info on it and that something strange is about.

Oh so you are in the right thread? Good then, glad we at least got that settled.

I agree with the feelings the OP is having concerning many things happening but have different reasons for this happening and humanity as a whole and as individuals feeling the way it does.

I knew it! You're a closet new ager! Now it all makes sense. Be sure to come back anytime. we are always open. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Phage

Explain Bit of a meteor shower? One week in Sept we had over 30+, all it takes is one Bit to hit something as small as a power plant or a city.
The tail of a comet is dust. The meteors from comet tails do not hit the ground, they vaporize high in the atmosphere. We pass through several each year.
stardate.org...

edit on 10/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

There's evidence that some of the dust particles are small enough not to be vaporised, and actually survive entry...they are SO small though that it takes an estimated two years for them to make landfall (or seafall) after entering.

Speculation exists as to whether or not this nano dust harbours biological hitchhikers. Some work has been done to see if there are correllations between cometary tail dust entering our atmosphere, and plague / viral outbreaks between a year or two later.

Can't remember the research or who carried it out, but it was a some years ago..so the theory may not be accurate, after all if it were we'd probably still be hearing about it now.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

TheNewSense
Are you concerned with cars hitting you when you walk on the sidewalk? It is possible but is it a rational fear?

Well my in-laws neighbor was hit by a car and killed a few years ago while, we'll she was riding a bike on the sidewalk, not walking. True story, seriously. So yes I guess since then the thought has crossed my mind a few times while walking along a busy street. What about you?

Oh, let's not derail the thread now. The Topic is C/2012 S1 (ISON). Just so you know.

~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

It is wiser not too worry about everything that could possibly go wrong with anything, but it is your prerogative.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

research3300
here is couple articles on comets and possible connections to the major plagues:

Comets & Contagion
Viruses, Bacteria & Diseases from Space
journalofcosmology.com...

Different theory:
cassiopaea.org...

more speculation:
mb-soft.com...

comets delivering life?
arxiv.org...

As opposed to the resident 'expert' here re matters of astronomy, it is most refreshing to have a poster here providing well-documented sources. I hereby express my personal thanks.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
then u will luve this one

The Great Plague (1665–66) was the last major epidemic of the bubonic plague
During the winter of 1664, a bright comet was to be seen in the sky and the ...

there is that one

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

TheNewSense
It is wiser not too worry about everything that could possibly go wrong with anything, but it is your prerogative.

Well thank you for informing me of my rights. I agree with you though, because I believe that negative thoughts can have a negative effect on circumstances. To be perfectly honest with you, I don't spend much time worrying about things that I cannot control. I do like to talk about the Universe, comets and possible other worldly beings though. Have a great day. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
That comet was Comet Tempel 1, which is 5 miles long and 3 miles wide (7.6 km x 4.9 km). NASA's "Deep Impact" probe sent the 450 pound projectile to the comet, and it hit the comet at 23,000 mph (36,800 km/h). The impact left a 500 foot (150 m) wide crater on the surface of the comet.

Picture of Comet Tempel 1 taken up-close by the Deep Impact Probe:

Some comets are dirty balls of ice (mostly ice), while others are icy balls of dirt (mostly dirt / rock). The Deep Impact mission showed that Tempel 1 was the latter. It is mostly made of dust and rock, but contains plenty of ice, too. Spectrographic analysis of the debris kicked up by the impactor showed silicates, carbonates, metal clays, metal sulfides and water.

We also sent probes to comets that have returned dust from that comet to Earth. The Stardust Mission was such a mission. It trailed behind Comet Wild 2 (pronounced "Vilt") and collected samples of the coma of the comet, and returned those samples to earth. Hydrocarbons, crystalline silicates, and some pure carbon was found.

Picture of Comet Wild 2 taken up-close by the Stardust Probe:

So Soylent, What could the reason be why we don't have close up images of ISON? I was wondering your opinion about that, or if anyone else here knows? ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

SheopleNation
So Soylent, What could the reason be why we don't have close up images of ISON? I was wondering your opinion about that, or if anyone else here knows? ~$heopleNation

It really comes down to time and logistics. this comet was only "found" a little over a year ago which precludes any reasonable mission planning in regards to sending out a new probe, lander etc. to investigate it. Additionally, there just isn't anything in the vicinity to get a close up shot of ISON and other orbital imagers such as Hubble just aren't suited for taking photos of what is on a cosmic scale, a very tiny comet reflecting very little light compared to a distant galaxy that's 30,000 light years in diameter. As an example, if you have an SLR camera focus it on an object that's for example 50 feet away from you. Then take the camera without altering the focus and direct it at an object 10 feet away. The farther shot would be clear and the nearer would be a blob.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Both Temple 1 and Wild 2 have close up pictures taken of them because they came from probes that were in close proximity of each comet.

There is no probe in close proximity of ISON, and even the biggest telescopes here on Earth, or Hubble would be able to produce images of that resolution of objects that small at the distance that ISON is.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

MysterX

Phage

Explain Bit of a meteor shower? One week in Sept we had over 30+, all it takes is one Bit to hit something as small as a power plant or a city.
The tail of a comet is dust. The meteors from comet tails do not hit the ground, they vaporize high in the atmosphere. We pass through several each year.
stardate.org...

edit on 10/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

There's evidence that some of the dust particles are small enough not to be vaporised, and actually survive entry...they are SO small though that it takes an estimated two years for them to make landfall (or seafall) after entering.

Speculation exists as to whether or not this nano dust harbours biological hitchhikers. Some work has been done to see if there are correllations between cometary tail dust entering our atmosphere, and plague / viral outbreaks between a year or two later.

Can't remember the research or who carried it out, but it was a some years ago..so the theory may not be accurate, after all if it were we'd probably still be hearing about it now.

Here I had to work late, play in the cold, and see some of you debating who said what? Wonder if some of you even sleep! Sorry, had to say that since;

Look-ie HERE. New info we can inspect. Thank you Sir! Something that has been thought of before and it seems left out of the day to day comet ideas. Very good point indeed! Now let's add this to the Comet list of IDEAS, somewhere in History; remember Rex brought it up in a thread and somehow forgot it even Existed!

Now come to think of it, it has be taken out of History unless you dig a little deeper. So shall I and you can too if you like; somewhat late, working extra, for most. It takes time going through pages of info finding info even on the internet! Someone once told me that somehow History was being eraced bit by bit, or at least bits anyway. Could this actually be true?

If I remember right, most causes of viruses somehow came by rats on a boat. Or people who came to america carries it with them, unknowing? I do remember hearing something about a comet flying by at a time of great sickness back in the day. Now we do have alot of sea live dieing lately, back in Sept 15-18 when we had a few balls of lights burn in the sky that weekend. Could it be related?

Again, no right or wrong. Everybody does see things in their Own Way. And if you drink the same water as I do
Thinks get mixed up you know! Do say what you have to say, would hate to miss something. If it relates to comets good; correcting someone is impossible since too much info has been altered out there. We can say that is a fact! Some info is based upon careful study, yet the data is only as new as our Computer Age!

Thanks for bring this to the table. See something new added to the pot, then we have the Sandy and FEMA who could just be out there protecting us from them crazy storms! I would have not considered that one either! Another 1,000 Thank You for the added info.

Did hear Ison will be bright again, wax on, wax off
Would take a sick day except I do not get sick; work out some more info and would like it if you all can too. By the way. How does one go about adding link's of info here? Do share; not my cup of tea seem paper and books were all I was taught in school.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

peter vlar

SheopleNation

It really comes down to time and logistics. this comet was only "found" a little over a year ago which precludes any reasonable mission planning in regards to sending out a new probe, lander etc. to investigate it. Additionally, there just isn't anything in the vicinity to get a close up shot of ISON and other orbital imagers such as Hubble just aren't suited for taking photos of what is on a cosmic scale, a very tiny comet reflecting very little light compared to a distant galaxy that's 30,000 light years in diameter. As an example, if you have an SLR camera focus it on an object that's for example 50 feet away from you. Then take the camera without altering the focus and direct it at an object 10 feet away. The farther shot would be clear and the nearer would be a blob.

Explains all the poor shots on UFO's! Yet why do we have Google Earth down to the street and yet nowhere else? One would think someone would have though of that one long time ago while sending crafts out in space. Mars rover should have had some pic's being there even if out of focus since Ison was so close to Mars.

Just wondering why no one thought of it really. The space station should have the best equ or at least a good point at taking some. Just what do they do up there anyway, docking for moon base, getting ready for Mars, it has been there for quite some time!

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

SheopleNation

peter vlar
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, I used to love Thundarr the Barbarian on Saturday mornings too.

LMAO! That response was priceless! I loved that show as a kid, and you stayed on topic because of the meteorite impact that happens in the beginning. While on the subject, I swear I saw Ookla The Mok one time while walking through the woods. True story. ~$heopleNation

No! Got that mixed up with Care Bears in Space # 15 on the Dark Web. Or was that Power Rangers in Space? Man I need to stop watching cartoons!

I did like the cat on that show; some never stay on topic, or somehow I think they never actually read through them really.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

peter vlar

Hey Peter, Thank you for answering my question because I really appreciate your straight forward, non judgmental response. Yes, I have heard that explanation before, and at first it made sense to me, and maybe it will again. However I looked into it back then, something did not add up my friend. Allow me to explain?

I am sure that you're already aware that Hubble has actually taken images of ISON earlier this year, just not close up ones like Soylent Green provided (which were amazing) of those other Comets from NASA's Deep Impact Probe?

So, Why could NASA's Deep Impact Comet-Hunting Space Probe take this shot back on Jan 16th & Jan 18th of 2013?

NASA's Deep Impact Probe views C/2012 S1 (ISON)

But then Hubble takes this much clearer picture of ISON just a few months later on April 10th 2013, even though Hubble is obviously much further away than the Deep Impact space probe? I want to discuss this with you Pete, you seem like a reasonable Man.

Hubble Finds ISON

Like you informed me, I know Hubble is more powerful, but you yourself said, like a few others here in past threads, that it's power is it's downfall concerning objects close to Earth or other planetary objects within our solar system.

But most of all, we got Francis Walsh here, a respected amateur you tube astronomer (I would call him much higher than an amateur myself), who has absolutely no trouble capturing ISON images on October 26th of this month (as well as many, many other nights) that are just as good as what NASA's deep Impact probe captured earlier this year all the way back in January?

Walsh captures ISON

Just saying Peter. It doesn't matter at the end of the day because the fact that you watched Thundarr The Barbarian as a kid just like me is enough to consider you and I eternal friends here on ATS. LMAO!

Best Wishes my friend. ~$heopleNation

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join