It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone find it odd that Comet ISON, Is hearsay this, made up that, ect. Except you can not find

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

It's dust. God help us if dust hits the planet. We may have to pull out the pledge and a rag.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

1995' Comet Hale Bopp in April and in Nov that year. Plain as day big and bright.

I remember Hale-Bopp very well. It was bright enough to be seen even in the relatively bright sky immediately after sunset.

As for the OP's question...

There is no "hush-up" regarding ISON. In fact, the opposite is true.

There has been a lot more media attention for this comet than most comets. There are also many amateur astronomers who continue to take many, many photos of ISON. However, the more-than-normal interest in ISON only because it was originally thought it would be bright enough to be clearly seen in the night sky (like Hale-Bopp was in 1995), but it seems that possibly ISON will not be as bright as some originally thought.

There are two other comets in the night sky (P2/Enke and C/2013 R1 Lovejoy) in October and November that may end up being just as bright (or maybe I should say "as dim") as ISON. All three of them will be at least visible with binoculars. But, who knows -- maybe ISON will still brighten up as it was originally thought it might.

edit on 10/25/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Stars and comets are not remotely the same.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Oh cut it out . You're just being silly or purposely trying to cloud the issue. It's no mystery and no doom for us.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by research3300

The interesting thing to me is that mainstream science knows lots about comets . It ice and dust . Electric??? Try a real science web site instead of where ever you got that bad info from scientists have been studying these things since man first looked up. Every year we know more and more .

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

i heard that it made mars glow. but then again u know everything about space lol

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Did you see the photos? It was about 2 ft by 2ft. Of course some of it burned up upon entry but certainly not massive by any stretch.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Ut oh !!! Looks like Andromeda strain has finally arrived.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well crap! You just burst my bubble.

I was hoping that ISON was going to be as interesting as Hale-Bopp. But I still have my fingers crossed after it goes around the sun. NASA and scientists aren't the all knowing folk they think they are and have been proven wrong time and time again. This is one of those times that I hope that they are proven wrong.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

So far it's the biggest cosmic event I have ever witnessed. I was excited to hear about ISON but recent update say it won't be the show they anticipated back when they first observed it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

They were wrong this time. They thought it was going to rival Hale Bopp but now say it won't . I am hoping for something. We have an amature telescope not much more than a toy but it should help.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Phage

Well crap! You just burst my bubble.

I was hoping that ISON was going to be as interesting as Hale-Bopp. But I still have my fingers crossed after it goes around the sun. NASA and scientists aren't the all knowing folk they think they are and have been proven wrong time and time again. This is one of those times that I hope that they are proven wrong.

They still are not exactly sure if it will be an impressive comet or not. It looks like it will NOT be as bright as once thought it could be, but there are still a few astronomers saying that there is still a very slight possibility that it could, due to the relative unpredictability of comets.

This article written yesterday (October 24) says that most likely ISON will not be as impressive as originally thought, but there is still some chance, albeit a slight one:

au.ibtimes.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
double post

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

TheNewSense
See this is your problem. The reason you are so obessed with ISON is because your entire existential perspective is severely skewed.

So cheesy's perspective is skewed because he is interested in ISON's origins, so what? Are you the end all be all decider of what interests an individual can have? Maybe it's Cheesy's avatar, does it annoy you? LMAO!

Did it ever occur to you that it was travelling in a random direction and just happened to be on a course that crosses our solar system.

Why would you just assume that the possibility never did occur to him? Did it ever occur to you that maybe ISON collided with an asteroid and it's former direction was altered, or that it's nothing more than a small chunk of a Star which exploded 10,000 lightyears ago? The possibilities are endless.

There is nothing out of the ordinairy here and without the people that you hink are hiding something you probably wouldn´t even have heard of ISON at this point.

Actually it's all over Youtube, so he would. There are these people called Amature Astronomers all over planet Earth. Fact is anything could happen, but you don't know either now do you? Like Uncle Rico said, Sounds like there is a whole hell of a lot that you don't know about.

Get over your obsession.

Get over yourself and learn some better manners because in the grand scheme of things, Nobody cares what you think. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

SheopleNation
Why would you just assume that the possibility never did occur to him? Did it ever occur to you that maybe ISON collided with an asteroid and it's former direction was altered, or that it's nothing more than a small chunk of a Star which exploded 10,000 lightyears ago? The possibilities are endless.

Actually, our entire solar system is made up of stuff from stars that exploded billions of years ago. In fact, most of the stuff inside our bodies (and all of the heavier elements inside our bodies and all around us) was once inside a star.

The cloud of dust and gas that our solar system was born from 5 billion years ago (and, in turn, us humans) was created from the supernova and nova of long-dead stars. As Carl Sagan once famously said "we are made of star-stuff" -- and he meant that quite literally; many of the atoms inside our bodies and all around us was once inside a star or created during a super-nova.

Having said that, it is just as proper to say ISON (just like any normal comet) most likely came from inside our own solar system. Sure -- the stuff inside our solar system had to come from somewhere previously, but we have to stop somewhere -- or else we'll go all the way back to the creation of the universe itself.

I suppose you are trying to say "well, it is possible that it came into our solar system from the outside after our solar system formed", and I guess that it is possible (just like almost anything is "possible"), but there is no reason to suspect that ISON is any different than every other comet out there. We can say "maybe ISON is different", but that would be baseless wild speculation.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
I suppose you are trying to say "well, it is possible that it came into our solar system from the outside after our solar system formed", and I guess that it is possible (just like almost anything is "possible"), but there is no reason to suspect that ISON is any different than every other comet out there. We can say "maybe ISON is different", but that would be baseless wild speculation.

Sure, Just as saying that "there is no reason to suspect that ISON IS any different from every other comet out there" is a reckless assumption. I mean, what reason could there be that would cause you to suspect? Not all Comets are the same, the Universe is much too vast to believe otherwise. I mean you and I could go on all day about what is, what isn't and what could be. One thing is for certain though, we don't know. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

SheopleNation

Soylent Green Is People

Sure, Just as saying that "there is no reason to suspect that ISON IS any different from every other comet out there" is a reckless assumption. I mean, what reason could there be that would cause you to suspect? Not all Comets are the same, the Universe is much too vast to believe otherwise. I mean you and I could go on all day about what is, what isn't and what could be. One thing is for certain though, we don't know. ~$heopleNation

Yeah -- like I said, almost anything is possible.

However, if you start assuming that everything you see in nature is not really as it appears, then we humans can never begin to understand what anything is.

ISON really isn't a Comet; that tree over there really isn't a tree; this rock over here really isn't a rock; that element with one proton is not really hydrogen, but some weird form of helium. Where does it end? If we can't rely on our understanding of nature, then where are we?

ISON looks and acts like a normal comet. There is nothing unusual about it, nor is there anything that would makes us believe it is anything but a normal comet that came from our solar system.

Sure -- we can speculate that it could have come from elsewhere -- i.e., come up with a hypothesis for it being something other than a comet from our solar system, but then you would need to test that hypothesis and find evidence to support your hypothesis. That's exactly what science does. Science asks a question of nature, and tries to answer that question. However, you would need a reason to ask that question.

At this point, what we know about ISON tells us that it is a normal comet, based on our understanding of comets. What we know about comets tells us they come from within our solar system, based on what we know about the make-up and creation of our solar system. Those are the things we know. Until you have a reason to question whether ISON is a normal comet, there is no reason to suspect it is anything but a normal comet.

To that end, what about ISON would make you suspect it is not a normal comet. What specific hypothesis to you want to test? If there was something different about ISON, then I'm sure some scientist somewhere would love to write a paper about it, because that's what scientists do.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sun has awoken as I described above, coming just after the magnetic poles completed reversal.

Solar activity called "high and intensifying "
spaceweather.com...

X-FLARE UPDATE: Earth-orbiting satellites have just detected a second X-class solar flare on Oct. 25th. The X2-class eruption at 15:07 UT followed an X1-event at 08:01 UT. There is no reason to think this fusillade will end soon, so stay tuned for more flares. Solar Flare alerts:text, voice.

GLOBAL ERUPTION ON OCT 25TH: Solar activity is high and intensifying. New sunspot AR1882, which rotated over the sun's eastern limb earlier today, promptly unleashed an X1-class solar flare, adding to a series of lesser flares already underway from sunspots AR1875 and AR1877. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded a bright flash of extreme UV radiation from the X1 flare, which peaked at 08:01 UT on Oct. 25th:

Numbers for Oct according to www.swpc.noaa.gov...
1-Oct-13 - 49
2-Oct-13 - 59
3-Oct-13 - 61
4-Oct-13 - 84
5-Oct-13 - 69
6-Oct-13 - 53
7-Oct-13 - 76
8-Oct-13 - 99
9-Oct-13 - 111
10-Oct-13 - 138
11-Oct-13 - 115
12-Oct-13 - 106
13-Oct-13 - 125
14-Oct-13 - 136
15-Oct-13 - 149
16-Oct-13 - 120
17-Oct-13 - 166
18-Oct-13 - 145
19-Oct-13 - 149
20-Oct-13 - 117
21-Oct-13 - 179
22-Oct-13 - 228

That is an active Sun!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Wow! I see you have it all down and read every line. I was actually talking from 1800's to today really. So many things have changed since then in only 200 yrs! At the rate were going now, we might miss out on something simple to fix the problems we have today.

!0 yrs back it was said we were the cause of warming up this planet and they heard the idea's went; Yea maybe and left it alone. Now our ice caps are melting so fast, weather has gotten so bad, you really can not call it a storm anymore. Birds fall from the sky, fish wash up on shore, sinkholes........

We do not have the time to experiment on things much longer. Time is what we do not have anymore because it grows bigger everyday faster then we can keep up. Thats what I meant by We know it all now.

At what price will you pay if gas stopped tomorrow? Backup plan? Our fresh water is running out, now some places have to reuse their waste to have water. Air in some towns is so bad you wonder how they deal with it on a day to day living. Now here is the good one, GMO Food. What in 10, 5 yrs something goes wrong? It has already started, it has no taste! God I wished I had a strawberry from the 60's!

I think we need to slow it down a bit. Having something newer, better, faster takes away from who we are. People. Like bees running to and from gaining nothing, except the bees do it right. Opps! They seem to be missing or something else; They hate GMO Plants!

Things to consider if life on Earth is going to stay awhile. At the rate were going now, what will be left in 20yrs? We will be lucky if we have any gas left, water or air.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

F4Driver

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING THE PROGRESS OF ISON AND IT JUST PASSED MARS (GAVE IT A JOLT AND COMA) AND IS HEADED IN TOWARD THE SUN.. THE RUSSIANS THINK THAT IT'S INTERACTION WITH MARS MAY HAVE ALTERED IT'S COURSE.
NO ONE CAN SAY IF IT IS GOING TO HIT THE SUN OR SKIM BY.... IF IT SKIMS BY AND SWINGS AROUND NO ONE KNOW WHAT TOTAL EFFECT THE SUN'S GRAVITY WILL HAVE ON IT AS TO THE EXACT PATH IT WILL BE ON WHEN IT HEADS BACK OUT EXITING OUR SOLAR SUN....
IT SHOULD BE VISIBLE BY THE NAKED EYE NOV. 16-20 AND PASS THE EARTH DEC 5-8 THEN WE WILL BE DEALING WITH IT'S DEBRI FIELD TRAILING BEHIND IT FULL OF ASTERIODS/METERIORS, AND EARTH PLATE SHIFTING, VOLCANOS...... THIS IF IT DOES NOT HIT US.
SEEMS THE RUSSIANS AND CHINESE ARE PUTTING MOST OF THE INFO....NASA HAS SHUT DOWN ALL PUBLIC ACCESS OBSERVATION SOURCES.

I find it strange that I have to watch some other Countries News to hear anything about it! Still I'm going with nobody know how this will play out. Odds are nothing will happen and all is good for now. Question one should be asking is why FEMA had to have area #3 ready by Oct !st?

Most of the time things get leaked so people look that way while they do something else. Maybe the shutdown was nothing more then a test to see how fast they could move into the bunkers if need be. Or they do know something and had the Meeting of the Minds with other Countries.

One could go into the idea that the US is broke; thanks Credit! Say this and your the bad guy, know this and wonder where did all the Freedom go? Gun control, good idea! Who actually need an Auto or high power rounds? If the Gov actually cared, they would place a band on PILLS for Children!

You can not use any Gov site to find out about Ison, they will pass on the info to you or have the page set up for you beforehand. Now we do have amatures out there showing pics, where to spot Ison and the like; Just do not ASK! Somehow I really do not think the comet has nothing to do with anything, only a sign we will all see soon.

Look to the signs in heaven; most books state that as a fact. Look towards your fellow Man; good luck, most are caught up into themselves and their lives. Last is pay attention to your Planet Earth and the life on it; if things are slowly dieing you might as well follow suit.

We need all the life on Earth to live so we can live. It is all connected somehow and it was planned that way. Here is a thought, All that oil we take from the Earth, the Earth actually uses it to cool itself off from the Sun and the cores heat stays in place. One of my views anyway.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join