It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone find it odd that Comet ISON, Is hearsay this, made up that, ect. Except you can not find

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Aliensun
reply to post by infoseeker26754

I tend to compress your views into a simple statement: "Comets are the UFOs of outer space."

Let your mind work with that to the best of your abilities. --Need a little help thinking outside of the box within which Science and government has trapped your mind? Visit my crazy thread Rethinking Comets buried in the Skunk Works forum.

Interesting, will have to take a look. Then what would you say Gold would be? It comes from space and not actually a part of the earths make-up of things.

Thinking outside the box. One would have to realise that Truth really is not hidden, only your mind hides it from you. I see you did leave out the Church, was their a reason for leaving them out?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

St Udio
i read totally different facts about ISON from just about every reputable source there is...

example:

....On Nov. 28 -- Thanksgiving Day, as it turns out -- the comet will pass about 1 million kilometers, or about 621,000 miles, from the sun’s surface.
As it blasts around the sun, traveling 234 miles per second, the comet will be heated to about 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to vaporize rock and metals.

i have read ISON is 3 miles across. is icy-dirt-rock
and is presently sailing along at 45k mph & increasing speed by the minute

one source says as it swings around the Sun the speed will be 436,000 mph... but this above article excerpt says it will be speeding at 234 Miles Per second or faster than 800,000 MPH

all these numbers seem exaggerated to me

ISON will be eye-balled in December morning skies and during nights in January
edit on 24-10-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the info, how do they actually come up with the speed? One photo then 1 hr later another photo then compare the distance between the 2? Light does bend in space so would there be some numbers crossed in speed?

One would think that the G force at that speed getting closer to the Sun would cause it to start breaking up, possible if not the swing around the Sun. Comets come by here and there, who actually considers these ideas and make them into facts?

It is one thing to have great minds working on something unknown, only it is still unknown so many factors can come out to play later and bite. Somewhat like CO2, how we played like it is no big deal and now its catching up to us. It like Man only considers just the one concerning factor and leaves out the rest.

Everything effects everything one way or another. We just do not see this. If you input data into a computer all it does is works on the data and nothing else. It can come up with 10,50 or 100 possible ways data can go only no real answere because you have many different points to consider.

I do agree with you, maybe its a ball park number and thats all!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

InhaleExhale
reply to post by research3300

Are you in 8th grade?

Why not learn the ropes before coming in and thinking you're Tarzan.

Do you need moar, moar moar to understand you wrong and out of your league trying to insult me for no reason?

Yes I want to now see moar moar moar, Moar of how was Phage insulting you?

I like how entertaining ATS can be.

Somehow Phage keeps things simple and fires up posts when he can. It breaks the door down somewhat I think. For all we know He is part of the Space program
Ready for action someday, yet still waiting.

InhaleExhale needed to slow it down a bit, 10 things in one post can be overboard, you just do not know where to start! Now if I can learn how to link a video, and the like I might just get this going!
Or not chopping posts either in quotes.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Mufcutcakeyumyum
i294.photobucket.com...

BOGOF.
Sorry.
Couldn't resist.
I am going to get banned.

Why would you get banned? It's not nice to fill up someones car with popcorn you know.

Yep! Went over my head!

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

St Udio
...i have read ISON is 3 miles across. is icy-dirt-rock
and is presently sailing along at 45k mph & increasing speed by the minute

one source says as it swings around the Sun the speed will be 436,000 mph... but this above article excerpt says it will be speeding at 234 Miles Per second or faster than 800,000 MPH

all these numbers seem exaggerated to me...

Any object will speed up as its orbit gets close to -- and whips around -- the Sun. ISON, like many comets, has a very elliptical orbit that takes it very close to the Sun for a small part of that orbit, but far away from the Sun for most of that orbit. All objects speed up as their orbit gets closer to the Sun, but the speed difference is more pronounced with a highly elliptical orbit that gets close to the Sun, and then far from the Sun, such as ISON and many other comets.

Right now, ISON is moving at about 82,000 mph and is continuing to speed up as its orbit gets closer to the Sun, and will be moving at over 800,000 mph as it whips around the Sun. It will then begin to slow down again, and will be back to moving at 80,000 mph by the end of the year. As it heads out away from the sun, it will continue to slow down.

Look at this orbital diagram (link below) of Comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) and click the "play" button (>>) and see how fast ISON whips around the Sun compared to how fast it moves along the rest of its orbit:

NASA-JPL Small Body Database Browser -- C/2012 S1 (ISON)
Note: A Java Applet must be run to view the orbital diagram in the link

edit on 10/24/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Char-Lee

Phage

Explain Bit of a meteor shower? One week in Sept we had over 30+, all it takes is one Bit to hit something as small as a power plant or a city.
The tail of a comet is dust. The meteors from comet tails do not hit the ground, they vaporize high in the atmosphere. We pass through several each year.
stardate.org...

edit on 10/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Nasa says it does.

"Instead of burning up in a flash of light, they will drift gently down to the Earth below," he says.
Don’t expect to notice. The invisible rain of comet dust, if it occurs, would be very slow. It can take months or even years for fine dust to settle out of the high atmosphere.

They also mention this double crossing of the debris is not usual.

When Earth passes through the debris stream, we will encounter two populations of comet dust. One swarm of dust will be following the Comet ISON into the sun. Another swarm will be moving in the opposite direction, pushed away from the sun by solar radiation pressure. The streams will pepper opposite sides of Earth simultaneously.

"In my experience, this kind of double whammy is unprecedented," says Wiegert.

science.nasa.gov...

Historically speaking we are clearly in a time of increased comets and asteroids and fireballs coming into the atmosphere, starting to be a common, not even interesting thing now days.

Thats what They would have us to believe. Too much info from the past long forgotten written in stone. Wormwood? I'm not saying I want anything to happen just leaving it us to NASA to say Its all okay, dropping it down to nothing seems stupid to me.

Maybe the comet will pass and go out to space, then again how did Life get on this Planet in the first place? Space Rocks! Even one small little bug living in a small rock could cause a virus; again trying to say there is no life outside this world is a lie! Even if we could go to Mars, you would still have to wear a suit even if there was air on Mars!

Why? Just like catching a cold here on Earth only we would not know what the cold on Mars would do. So someone would have to actually catch the virus/bug and using their T-Cells to create a anti-virus for it. Bird Flu could not be contained untill they took samples of the sick ones first. Then in a lab created something to fight it back.

Gave it a number and later it changed itself to another form. So now we have 2 types of Bird Flu out there. And thats just one strain! Makes one consider if our DNA has a list of possible virus out there and why some get sick and others just die.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

AndyMayhew
What I find odd is why we have so many threads about ISON, and none about LINEAR or Lovejoy, or any of the other comets currently circulating through the inner solar system.

Presumably, a comet only affects Earth if the tabloid media tell us? That's all I can think ......

Right you are! Funny how now it's like a flowing balls of light in space right now. One has to wonder if their is any more room left.

Hopefully none of them crosses paths! Hit's a moon or ......................? Some have said between Mars and Jupiter a planet could have been there long ago.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

rickymouse
Maybe the latest filament eruption and the small CMEs will jumpstart the comet when they hit it and it will expand it's coma and tail
It would be nice to have it's size increase a little, it is so small right now that it can't hardly be seen.

What? They have it down to flying ufos, so many great pic's out there I have to ask myself How? It would cost $$$$$ just to see a small dot right now and we have clear pics of some cropped videos explaining Ison.

It would make a great show though. It has even been rumored that it might be closer to earth then expected! Wait and see.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

TheNewSense
reply to post by cheesy

"AnyOne Know Where Ison Come from? and How This Comet can Come to our Solar system,Is there any Hystory Record Of it? why this Comet Only get to Our Sun if there is So many Star in space..? some scientist say it will only once, and Ison Will never come back again..so this comet came Very far away From Outer space only to visit us? " thats My Curious..

See this is your problem. The reason you are so obessed with ISON is because your entire existential perspective is severely skewed.

It begins with the notion that the universe revolves around you, or us humans. It´s like watching a bird fly over your house and then asking why the bird flew over your house when there are so many other houses around.

Did it ever occur to you that it was travelling in a random direction and just happened to be on a course that crosses our solar system.

There is nothing out of the ordinairy here and without the people that you hink are hiding something you probably wouldn´t even have heard of ISON at this point.

Get over your obsession.
edit on 24-10-2013 by TheNewSense because: (no reason given)

Here I was trying to fill in all the blanks and gather info on comet Ison. Why tear down someone? I smile every time I hear from Cheesy!

If you keep putting things into the Nothing Here Box, you might just miss something later. Do what your told to think has messed up things on Earth. Nothing wrong in opening your mind to a new way of thinking for yourself, is that Not what ATS is used for?

It has be passed down that sometimes crap happens while a comet has passed Earth. Maybe not every time, only it has been known to happen. Just to write it off as being considered and nothing more closes the door if something were to happen later.

Every Gov hides something, even Kings! Thats how they keep their power so they do the thinking for you since somehow we can not think for ourselves anymore. People who think for themselves do end up with problems, granted. Only to go beyond the box sometimes you find interesting things out in the world you never even considered before.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

cheesy
...AnyOne Know Where Ison Come from? and How This Comet can Come to our Solar system,Is there any Hystory Record Of it? why this Comet Only get to Our Sun if there is So many Star in space..?

ISON came from our own solar system. All comets inside our solar system come from our inside own solar system (as far as we know). They don't come from elsewhere.

Comets come from the outer parts of the solar system, way past Pluto. They have been out there for 5 billion years, endlessly orbiting our sun. Comets are thought to be stuff left over from the beginning of the solar system. The solar system was once a cloud of gas, dust, and ice. The stuff inside that cloud started collecting together into clumps, which eventually formed the Sun, planets, and Moons. The stuff left over became asteroids and comets.

Most comets will never come anywhere near the inner solar system and the Sun. They will continue to orbit out past Pluto and Neptune for billions of more years. However, every so often, the orbits of one of those comets out there changes (through a collision or gravity of another object) and the comet's obit makes it head toward the inner solar system -- near earth and the Sun. Sometimes these comets crash into the Sun. We know of a few every year that do this. Sometimes their orbit brings it close to the sun before heading out again.

Some of these comets that come into the inner solar system have relatively small orbits that keeps bringing them back toward the sun every few decades. Some have long orbits that only return every 200 years or so. so even longer than that.

ISON may end up not being special at all. The only reason why it made news is because it was thought it might be a bright comet. However, it may just end up being just another comet so dim that it can only be seen with a telescope or binoculars. There are almost always comets in the sky all the time that can be seen with a small telescope or binoculars. There are two others right now -- comet 2P/Encke and Comet C/2013 R1 Lovejoy.

So, ISON may end up being nothing special at all -- just another comet of the thousands that we know about.

edit on 10/24/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Thank You for the info and your time! Like how you did include, "as far as we know"!

I'm still having a though that they might be wrong and it does become bright soon.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

eriktheawful

AndyMayhew
What I find odd is why we have so many threads about ISON, and none about LINEAR or Lovejoy, or any of the other comets currently circulating through the inner solar system.

Presumably, a comet only affects Earth if the tabloid media tell us? That's all I can think ......

It is odd isn't it?

Many comets are discovered all the time. But the only ones that seem to make people post threads about them, are the ones in the news, tabloids, etc.

I mean, I'm not seeing any threads about 285P/LINEAR, or 169/NEAT on how they are going to destroy the Earth, or how they are acting strange, or how NASA is hiding secrets about them, or equipment failing on them.......or any of these comets:

List Of Periodic Comets

Or any of these......

List Of Non-Periodic Comets

Just the ones that the media wants to talk about, and then we get all sorts of wild claims by people (especially those that do not seem to be versed in astronomy).

Or maybe it's just normal behavior of humans.

Humans have to have everything set up so perfectly one never has to consider it again! Then one day what you thought you had placed into the box of understanding came back with a passion!

We have been taught in school what they think we should know and if one acts strangely in class, watch out! Some teacher will have you see a doctor and we know what happens next. Bring this up and it is Evil, still the Truth is out there yet no one wants to go there.

I actually know only a small bit of info and much of that is hearsay. You could use any area of so-called Lesions and what you have been led to know is only a Idea really. How did we get to knowing Nothing to Knowing Everything so fast? And yet still have the same problems?

I would have to say We do not know Jack! Been taught Jack and still using Jack. It safer that way for most.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thank you very much,been reading this site for a long time wanted to join because I can feel that there something going on,and my family think im a crazy fool like the guys with cardboard sings,hahahahaha wrong they are,anyway,ive been looking at ison for a bit now an you can never really get an answer,there is just so much of its a ufo,its nibiru,its this its that,its crazy so thank you very much for the nasa reply,but can we really trust nasa.can we?, keep up your great work love ya threads, take care from AUSTRALIA

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

infoseeker26754

Char-Lee

Phage

Explain Bit of a meteor shower? One week in Sept we had over 30+, all it takes is one Bit to hit something as small as a power plant or a city.
The tail of a comet is dust. The meteors from comet tails do not hit the ground, they vaporize high in the atmosphere. We pass through several each year.
stardate.org...

edit on 10/23/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Nasa says it does.

"Instead of burning up in a flash of light, they will drift gently down to the Earth below," he says.
Don’t expect to notice. The invisible rain of comet dust, if it occurs, would be very slow. It can take months or even years for fine dust to settle out of the high atmosphere.

They also mention this double crossing of the debris is not usual.

When Earth passes through the debris stream, we will encounter two populations of comet dust. One swarm of dust will be following the Comet ISON into the sun. Another swarm will be moving in the opposite direction, pushed away from the sun by solar radiation pressure. The streams will pepper opposite sides of Earth simultaneously.

"In my experience, this kind of double whammy is unprecedented," says Wiegert.

science.nasa.gov...

Historically speaking we are clearly in a time of increased comets and asteroids and fireballs coming into the atmosphere, starting to be a common, not even interesting thing now days.

Thats what They would have us to believe. Too much info from the past long forgotten written in stone. Wormwood? I'm not saying I want anything to happen just leaving it us to NASA to say Its all okay, dropping it down to nothing seems stupid to me.

Maybe the comet will pass and go out to space, then again how did Life get on this Planet in the first place? Space Rocks! Even one small little bug living in a small rock could cause a virus; again trying to say there is no life outside this world is a lie! Even if we could go to Mars, you would still have to wear a suit even if there was air on Mars!

Why? Just like catching a cold here on Earth only we would not know what the cold on Mars would do. So someone would have to actually catch the virus/bug and using their T-Cells to create a anti-virus for it. Bird Flu could not be contained untill they took samples of the sick ones first. Then in a lab created something to fight it back.

Gave it a number and later it changed itself to another form. So now we have 2 types of Bird Flu out there. And thats just one strain! Makes one consider if our DNA has a list of possible virus out there and why some get sick and others just die.

That NASA article actually said this was unusual, that we don't normally cross the tail twice of a comet like this one.

NASA was not the one that said there has been an increase in the asteroids and comets I said that.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

infoseeker26754

eriktheawful

AndyMayhew

It is odd isn't it?

Many comets are discovered all the time. But the only ones that seem to make people post threads about them, are the ones in the news, tabloids, etc.

I mean, I'm not seeing any threads about 285P/LINEAR, or 169/NEAT on how they are going to destroy the Earth, or how they are acting strange, or how NASA is hiding secrets about them, or equipment failing on them.......or any of these comets:

List Of Periodic Comets

Or any of these......

List Of Non-Periodic Comets

Just the ones that the media wants to talk about, and then we get all sorts of wild claims by people (especially those that do not seem to be versed in astronomy).

Or maybe it's just normal behavior of humans.

Humans have to have everything set up so perfectly one never has to consider it again! Then one day what you thought you had placed into the box of understanding came back with a passion!

We have been taught in school what they think we should know and if one acts strangely in class, watch out! Some teacher will have you see a doctor and we know what happens next. Bring this up and it is Evil, still the Truth is out there yet no one wants to go there.

I actually know only a small bit of info and much of that is hearsay. You could use any area of so-called Lesions and what you have been led to know is only a Idea really. How did we get to knowing Nothing to Knowing Everything so fast? And yet still have the same problems?

I would have to say We do not know Jack! Been taught Jack and still using Jack. It safer that way for most.

If you think that scientist, astronomers, astrophysicists, etc, think that they know every thing that there is to know, and that they are right and correct in the things that they think they know........then it really DOES show just how little you know about the scientific world and scientific method.

Not one of those people are going to come out and say "Yep. We've got it all figured out. There is nothing else to learn. Nothing left to test. No new theories to investigate. Time to put our feet up on the desk, kick back and chill out. Nope kid, no need for you to go to school and college, and earn a degree in science. We've got it all figured out, see?"

There is a reason why we have what we have today. A reason why you are able to use a electronic device to post messages on a virtual reality forum. A reason why your refridgerator is able to keep food cold or freeze it. Why you can use a microwave oven. And a multitude of many other things.

It wasn't because someone got an idea in their head and decided: What I Believe Must Be What It Is.

No, instead, someone got an idea into their head and asked a question: Is this possible?
Then they researched the evidence to see if what they found either supported their idea, or not. But they do not try to change the evidence to fit their idea, or ignore that which may show their idea is wrong.

If they do find supporting evidence in their research, they then try to make it happen with experiments. In some cases, experiments are not possible due to lack of technology, or lack of knowledge in other areas. In those cases, the person's idea goes from speculation to theory. That theory is then peer reviewed by others, who either find things to help support it, or show why that theory will not work.

If instead experiments can be done, they are done. Many times. If the results support the theory, the information is again, published to be peer reviewed. Other people then try to repeat the experiments, and see if they get the same results. if they do, and if enough of them do, then the theory becomes a supported fact, with evidence that yes, that theory is now a fact.

Or, others are not able to reproduce the results, so the theory stays just that: a theory.

This is a method that we've been using for a few centuries now. And the result has been the ability to learn more and more about what is around us, what is out there, and how things work. The more we know and learn, the more questions we are able to ask so that we can even more.

This isn't brain washing anyone. It's called "Science" and it's the reason we can communicate they way we are doing right now.

And NO ONE that has knowledge in scientific fields thinks that we "know it all" or "have all the answers".

Anyone that really thinks that either has not ever been around scientist, or is very ignorant of the many and varied scientific fields that there are. It smacks of someone screaming "WITCH!" and a mob of people show up to burn someone at the stake.

Yes, those that put forth ideas that conflict with what is normally accepted in science are going to be met with skeptics, critics and strange looks. But, unlike say, during Galileo's time, we don't have an All Powerful Church screaming blasphemy!

We do have other scientists that will dismiss things that seem far fetched or directly conflict with what has been observed. But only if the person or people saying these things are doing so without any evidence to back up what they are saying.

Even then, it's up to those people to prove what they are saying. If they can't, because their is no way to prove it, then it's just a theory.

And theories change. Some fall out of favor as new evidence is produced, sometimes from other fields of science, sometimes from direct experiments. It happens in science all the time.

Why does it happen all the time?

It happens all the time, because scientists do not sit around thinking they "know it all" or "have all the answers already".

That's why.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

That NASA article actually said this was unusual, that we don't normally cross the tail twice of a comet like this one.

We will not cross the tail twice.

In January we will pass through the region of space which the comet is now approaching. What Weigert is talking about is two factors. The very small particles in the tail which are being pushed away from the Sun (by the solar wind) would strike the atmosphere on the day side of Earth. The larger particles (still small) which were left behind (but are still in orbit) would strike the night side of Earth. Both would occur at the same time.

However, it is not at all certain that we will pass through the tail at all since the comet will be above the ecliptic when it passes Earth's orbit. So it would depend upon the extent of the dust tail. So far it does not appear that the dust tail will be very expansive.

edit on 10/24/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

i've been following the progress of ison and it just passed mars (gave it a jolt and coma) and is headed in toward the sun.. the russians think that it's interaction with mars may have altered it's course.
no one can say if it is going to hit the sun or skim by.... if it skims by and swings around no one know what total effect the sun's gravity will have on it as to the exact path it will be on when it heads back out exiting our solar sun....
it should be visible by the naked eye nov. 16-20 and pass the earth dec 5-8 then we will be dealing with it's debri field trailing behind it full of asteriods/meteriors, and earth plate shifting, volcanos...... this if it does not hit us.
seems the russians and chinese are putting most of the info....nasa has shut down all public access observation sources.

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on Sat Oct 26 2013 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by F4Driver

The comet passed Mars three weeks ago. It had no interaction with Mars and its orbit did not vary appreciably from the calculations.

It will not hit the Sun but it may disintegrate because of tidal forces when it gets close to the Sun.

It's path is well defined, both incoming and outgoing.

THEN WE WILL BE DEALING WITH IT'S DEBRI FIELD TRAILING BEHIND IT FULL OF ASTERIODS/METERIORS, AND EARTH PLATE SHIFTING, VOLCANOS...... THIS IF IT DOES NOT HIT US.
No. Just no.

NASA HAS SHUT DOWN ALL PUBLIC ACCESS OBSERVATION SOURCES.
What public access sources has NASA shut down?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
One can get many questions answered, and avoid much confusion and misinformation, when one follows the astronomy community instead of tabloid media and Youtube "experts". Join astronomy groups and pages on Facebook, bookmark some astronomy and space websites, and you will have regular and authentic updates on ISON and other space objects.

We don't need MSN, or even NASA exclusively (although they do perform valuable research). There are thousands of astronomers (professional and amateur) who use their own telescopes and other equipment to study ISON. They post pictures practically every day, monitor and report ISON's activity, perform various measurements, etc. There is no shortage of ISON news and information, you just need to know where to look (and no, don't look for info from cranks like McCanney or Hoagland, they make up their fantasies as they go along).

Don't trust the astronomers? Get your own telescope, equipped with a CCD, and perform your own observations and measurements. Report them to the astronomy community (so that they could be verified and confirmed), and if there's something unusual about ISON it will be made known. That's how astronomy works, that's how science works in general. Of course, it helps if you know what you're doing.

As for other comets like Lovejoy, Enke and Linear, there are some threads on ATS, and of course plenty of info on astronomy sites, like www.aerith.net...

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

1995' Comet Hale Bopp in April and in Nov that year. Plain as day big and bright.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
What ars you talking about no hard facts. ISON IS real. It's a comet. It won't hit us or shower us with deadly debris. Enjoy the show. Relax.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join