It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its really hard to get ahead if your on the bottom in America right now

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Do something you enjoy enough not to consider it to be a chore like the average crappy job.

Learn to live as frugally as you can.

Remember these things even if you hit it big, and supposedly "get ahead".

Understand that nobody really gets ahead anyway, I mean, get ahead of somebody else?, get ahead because you have more than someone else?, get a head and carry it around in a bag?, get ahead of what?....

Nobody really gets ahead anyway, until they actually are happy with what they already have.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

No I am a woman but I cut a deal with a friend that worked in the trucks. I handed out referrals in his name and recruited college students to the company he worked for. We split the bonus. Which means I wound up learning all I could of the available positions. You'd be surprised how easy it is to recruit those 30 something late night college students that are there because they are desperate for work. It's not a secret club.

Actually if you look at even Schneider's website you'll see multiple oil field truck jobs that have 5k sign on bonuses. That's one of the crappiest trucking companies, so yeah it's a huge thing right now. If you're unemployed and a dude they are great jobs.

Edit: Posted too soon.

To get started you first need a cdl.

There are two ways to go about this, actually four.

1. Pay for trucking school yourself. They run from 2500-4500, make sure your driving record will allow you to obtain a cdl even before attempting.
2. Find a trucking school that's paid for by some state program. They do exist, I do not know where. If you are a vet there me be extra programs for you depending on the state.
3. Find a trucking company that will pay you advance for school(I don't know of any).
4. Find a trucking company that will reimburse your tuition for trucking school. They usually reimburse you monthly which means most likely you will do regular trucking for a year to pay it off.

Once you have a cdl and about six months to a year of trucking, look up oil field truck jobs. There are multiple trucking companies out there and really any internet search on truck companies will lead you to them. As you'll notice, many want some experience so again getting the CDL is the first step.

If you already have a cdl then what're you waiting for? Go apply. These jobs might not be around forever and they are paying ridiculous amounts because of demand.

edit on 23-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

I've worked for the same company since 2004, but the three I linked to are ones that I have bookmarked for my own future references, in case I need them. From my research, those three are a few that seem to have a good reputation from other transcriptionists but they're certainly not the only ones.

No company should ever charge you to apply. If they ask for money for whatever reason, run away but yes, transcribing from home is very legitimate.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thanks, I will definitely look into that.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

www.indeed.com...

I looked that up and a bunch popped up. Once you have a CDL they're everywhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Have to agree: Texas is booming!

If you're willing to work,South Texas is the place to be...there is an ad everyday on the radio for "oil field" work and they can't hire enough truck drivers!

Security jobs are plentiful as well.

Also Border Patrol...I know...but it can be a good job.

The growth is just crazy here along with the traffic!

eaglefordshale.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

St Udio
from what i understand.................... the Texas (old) oil fields were bought by a bunch of speculation oil drillers and the 'played out' fields are only producing by Fracking operations....
yeah there's a mini-boom going on.... but at what long term cost ----your water wells ?

i was in the process of buying 'X-Timbers' around 10 years ago--- at $5 per share (a $500 dollar take)
but my Son needed a couple grand really quick, so i never sent the check to buy into the NYSE: XTO Dividend Reinvestment program---------------arrggh !

so all that explosion of jobs....is just a 6 month to 12 month phenonemna... the wide eyed workers will finf themselves high-&-dry but the bosses will only have excuses to console you with

In my small town of 25k people, i can stand on a bluff that is above my house and look out over the area. For miles and miles around I can see: hundreds and hundreds of new wells being drilled. Towers of light peppering the landscape in all directions.

The Cline Shale is huge. Where most shales may be 30ft thick, the Cline tends to be in shale deposits that run almost 1500ft thick. They have referred to it as a "stacked play".

One individual I know....he has invested around a quarter billion into some of the support structures. He made his first billion working with the oil companies on some of their legal matters, so is an "insider". If he is willing to throw down her personal dough on a "minimum 10 year play", I am willing to believe him.

Especially when I see the geophysical reports in the area.

On December 2nd we will have the "official report" on the Cline Shale. All the big names will be there for its unveiling. Like crackheads waiting for their dealer to get home.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Learn HTML
Check Craigslist
Start @ $25 an hour freelance/contract
Work from home

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Dont blame you there, i would shop around as well, but it is a option.
Thats how i was a few years back, no real jobs in the area, only dead end jobs
and 2 growing kids at home, so i sucked it up and went driving.

It's a rough job when you have family, but have to do whats best for them over all,

You might check in the Dakota's around the oil fields, I had a job set up just before i
got sick, starting at $100k a year, work 2 wks, off 1 wk.

But a lot of the areas are paying good cash, Mc Crapples is paying $15 a hour there,
From what i have been told, jobs are easy to come by. Only draw back is it gets
cold there in the winter, colder there than here in montana, and if you are from florida
its going to be a shock to the system the first year or so.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wow this thread turned out way better then i thought it would.

Thanks for all the replies and info.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Cypress Trucking in Jacksonville had an ad on the side of their truck.. That is if You decide to stay here, either way it reads as if things are looking up..

namaste

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
there was an ad on FB my mom showed me. Dump truck drivers, $65/hr.

No, that isn't a type-o.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

You could always move to Alaska. A friend of mine said the best thing she's done in a long, long time for herself was to pack up and move to Alaska.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I can not go visit alaska, i know me to well, if i went there i would not come back.
I love montana, the mountains, wild life, and just the fact that everything is layed back,
in terms of years, we are probably 10 years behind what is considered normal in ca. or other
places with big cities, our largest town is less than 250k, and there are not many large towns
at all. Most are small, rual type towns.

But alaska, where you can literally get lost and get away from society, ya, i would end up buying
land with a lake , build a cabin, go off grid and never be seen again.

I have gone here on rides in the hill's... well most call them mountians, but i was out for over 8 hours and only saw one vehicle with 2 people.

Alaska... ya, cant visit, i would be there forever.

OP, if you are interested in any of the jobs in the oil patch, check out the State job service,
in the dakota's look for Williston and a few others. do a search on oil jobs and then find the counties, then you know where jobs are going to be plentiful. Then hit the job board for the area and see whats there.

If you are mobile, there are a lot of jobs to be had, just have to weigh the options and see what would work best for you. I've picked up and moved across country before for a job. Dont regret any of it, got to meet some great people, and experience some cool sights.

What ever you decide, make sure to take the time to enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

i spent a year in Laramie, WY. I wouldn't have come back to Texas if the wife wasn't in need of a thaw. She tells me, "Us Mexican Goddesses aren't meant to live up north".
Whatever makes the Goddess happy makes me happy.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It is hard but sometimes you just need to look outside the box. In America, hard work can still pay off and you can make your own luck but you have to be willing to go through some tough times. I've been through it.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'm in serious need of a job too here in Florida. No car, no Driver's License, and I've been arrested for a DUI and Resisting without Violence so 99% of available jobs out there will not hire me. I do have a background in Avionics and served in the Navy and some sea time(0 from the Navy) and over 100 college credits.(going back to college is not an option because I cannot afford it, can't get loans, or even a Pell Grant)

I would like work on a boat/ship/tug and have a vailid TWIC and valid passport but I'll take almost anything. I live near a Port and so far have had no luck finding anything.

Anyone have any leads?

edit on 24-10-2013 by jrod because: cut

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Do you know how to repair boat engines?
Do you have any experience in boat towing services/repair? I.E. on boat engine repair and assisting in raising sunken boats?

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology
[more

I do but just on my boat and friends of mine, nothing that has been documented however. Most of the engine work I've done is with small outboards so I don't think that will be too much help. I got some miles towing boats though.

If I had a valid DL I could get a captain's license with a tow and sail endorsement. I just simply do not have any money to get my driver's license re-instated.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Im in a similar situation. I have a DL for a different state though. Its hard when you dont even have money to get on the bus with. Its crazy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join