It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its really hard to get ahead if your on the bottom in America right now

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

There's a company in San Antonio called West I believe. They will hire anyone. Pays like 10 an hour. Rent in San Antonio runs as low as 450 a month. You can rent rooms there from someone for as low as 200.

Also if you are really looking into a trucking job and don't want to go the customer service route, look at Schneider international. They aren't as bad as they used to be and I believe they pay for trucking school.

Here is also the website to the Texas workforce commission:

www.twc.state.tx.us...

Also consider moving to Houston if you are looking to get into the trucking thing. That seems to be the new hub especially for the high paying oil field trucking jobs in Texas.

Six months experience with a crapster like Schneider and you can work an oil fracking truck job for like 90k a year. I wouldn't even put moving to Texas on the table, I'd just pack and leave if you're single.

There's a men's dormitory there for 10 bucks a night. Sure you might be sleeping next to a hobo but it's better than being a hobo. If you're female, I have no idea other than maybe try talking some people into coming with you so you won't be by yourself.
edit on 23-10-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Id be more interested in oil then trucking. I heard oil jobs are so prevelant you move up to 90k a year if you work hard in no matter of time.

Thanks for the link ive been trying to google and figure out what companies are hiring.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LewisStulePhD

Dakota's? hah, I was all set to move to the bakken.. check the price of a 2bdr apartment in Williston, ND..
$2700..a month.

The speculators in real estate are amongst the largest PARASITES of ALL

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
If anyone is interested in a change of scenery....I talk about it here:

5 Richest Cities In America, and 5 Jaw Dropping Facts About The Permian Basin .

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Can you find a link to the company your talking about?

Skewed results from google.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The good paying oil jobs are still trucking jobs, unless you're an engineer. They pay so much because many times you're stuck in some desert looking Texas town that doesn't even have a local bar. They are having trouble retaining the workers. If you're desperate though and don't care they pay amazing with only a short amount of work experience.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

www.west.com...
Will hire anyone. Seriously. I have known felons/murderers who got jobs there. It's customer service but is something for meantime.

www.schneider.com...
Crapster trucking company that will hire almost anyone, you will need to look into their training program as I'm not too sure about it. Best to look into it though, I know for sure they are desperate.

heb.com...
Texas chain of grocery stores that hire night crew/cashiers. They have good benefits and hire people all the time.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Here's their training school info page:

schneiderjobs.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Does anyone know enough about oil jobs in Texas to really put down a clear path to getting involved in the industry?

Im looking into it but with little to no knowledge about the industry its not exactly easy.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You first have to have a cdl and about six months experience under your belt. Find a company that will pay for trucking school, work for them for about six months to a year and almost any oil field company will hire you to drive for them at that point. Without a cdl the oil companies won't hire you and as a rule there are none I know of that do sponsor. If that is really the job you want to do, the first step is getting licensed and having some experience under belt. That's where traditional heavy trucking will come in. You will need to drive around the U.S. for at least six months to gain that experience.

The Texas Workforce commission has a list of trucking schools on their website. You need to find a company that will put money up to put you through school. If no company will do that then you will need to look into getting a loan for school, almost every company at least has a reimbursement program if they don't have a prepaid tuition program.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
from what i understand.................... the Texas (old) oil fields were bought by a bunch of speculation oil drillers and the 'played out' fields are only producing by Fracking operations....
yeah there's a mini-boom going on.... but at what long term cost ----your water wells ?

i was in the process of buying 'X-Timbers' around 10 years ago--- at $5 per share (a $500 dollar take)
but my Son needed a couple grand really quick, so i never sent the check to buy into the NYSE: XTO Dividend Reinvestment program---------------arrggh !

so all that explosion of jobs....is just a 6 month to 12 month phenonemna... the wide eyed workers will finf themselves high-&-dry but the bosses will only have excuses to console you with

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

onequestion
Does anyone know enough about oil jobs in Texas to really put down a clear path to getting involved in the industry?

Im looking into it but with little to no knowledge about the industry its not exactly easy.

Take Anything Oil Related. I live in Texas, and I'm serious. About 20% of the people I know have converted to oil jobs. Even crappy starting positions like gophers and things (crappy relative to other positions in the same company) are starting at over $10 an hour. People are moving up.

I also have a thread linked below, it details some small ways to make cash from your house (real ways) and on the last page of it, I have a several hundred word review of MTurk, if you need to generate money for bus fare you can MTurk that in like a week, I PROMISE.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If you can type, there are several companies around the 'net that hire independent contractors for transcription from home. I've been doing it since 2004 and make anywhere from $10 to $25 an hour, depending on the job, quality of the audio and how fast you type. The company I work for pays by the typed line. Some companies pay by the word, page or length of the audio file. There's no overhead and no expense except for the initial equipment you'd need, like a footpetal, computer and headphones

Just an 'outside the box' type of suggestion.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Thank you for the Mturk suggestion. I am looking into that now. I have two broken feet and was hoping for some bs job I could do online while feet heal. Thanks a bunch.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Any sources?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by Ameilia

Thank you for the Mturk suggestion. I am looking into that now. I have two broken feet and was hoping for some bs job I could do online while feet heal. Thanks a bunch.

No problem. You are one of the people I wrote it for, actually! I specifically wrote in the review that it's great if your temp-disabled or something and your brain works fine but your body has to be on rest mode so you can't do any kind of 'real job.' I hope it works out for you. A couple hundred a week is lots more than 0 and who knows, you might be able to work faster than me!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Probably not as my finger is broken too. Actually, I never learned how to type correctly so I am sitting at 50 wpm with my duo of fingers, even though the index is broken. I always knew the day would come when my lack of Mavis Beacon skills would come in handy.

I am actually in process of creating a website with free enrolled agent tutorials and ask for a donation or charge a small fee. The courses that most companies offer for enrolled agents runs like 200-900 dollars. I figure...why not?

But if there's some other little bs gig I can do then why not? A couple bucks is better than zero bucks. Plus I don't think I can stand anymore youtube cat videos at this point.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

OrphanApology

The good paying oil jobs are still trucking jobs, unless you're an engineer. They pay so much because many times you're stuck in some desert looking Texas town that doesn't even have a local bar. They are having trouble retaining the workers. If you're desperate though and don't care they pay amazing with only a short amount of work experience.

How do you know about this stuff? Is it just "know a guy who knows a guy"?

I mean, dang! if the pay is good, sure beats Afghanistan!

drop me a clue where to get the scoop

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The place where I work, I found at the work at home mom forums, wahm.com. In their transcription sub forum, they have a pretty good list of companies in a sticky post. But off the top of my head, there's Fast Forward Transcription, REV Transcription, GMR Transcription, just that I can recall.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Have you actually worked for those companies and are they legit?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join