It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hellgramites....Love these little guys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Anybody here have any experience with these krazy buggers? This will be an ongoing project for me.
edit on Thu Oct 24 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sikko45

Never heard of them.

I think I'm safe in speaking for many of the members here, in asking for some type of description, history, explanation maybe a link to information on them. Also your opinion of them would help in getting productive feedback for your thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

yeaaa....im not so computer savvy or very literate for that matter... here again is the spelling..HELLGRAMITES. Seeking research assistance more than anything.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just saw a pic of a hellgramite on google... If I encountered one it's would not live much longer than it would take for foot to imbed it into ground.....

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Super krazy arent they...what of thier wierd little life cycle?
and chances are if you did run across one ...by accident, one probably wouldnt be to happy about it.
edit on 23-10-2013 by sikko45 because: content

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sikko45

These?

I don't have any experience with them (Thank God) but I can see why they have the word "hell" in their name. They can stay far far away from me thankyouverymuch.

What kind of project you doin'? Just because I'm nosy.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Mmmmmm fish bait. I use them alot easy to find in these parts. I've seen some as long as 7 inches with pinchers 2
+ inchs long.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Yeaa...thats them alright. Oh..just trying to research some local hazards and rural urban myths i grew up around. Local culture and heritage. As well as the native part of my bloodline.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sikko45

Well, that actually sounds pretty interesting. I love local legends, superstitions and such so I'd love to know what you find out, as well as what you already know about them. Where I'm from, you're supposed to be able to tell what kind of winter is ahead by the colors of woolly worms, lol. Is the info you're looking for anything like that or anywhere along those lines? I think such things are fascinating. Could be the native american in me.
Maybe there is more to them than just looking scary, lol.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
And to add look for dobsfly its the mature flying hellgrammite.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Yup. Larva of the dobsonfly. Best smallmouth bait in the river. Seine around the rocks for craws and hellgramites. Soft craws are awesome, but everything eats them. If your target is smallmouth bass, nothing alive beats a hellgramite on a light wire hook.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
These critters are very good fishing bait.

www.youtube.com...

Pladuim

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Agreed. Best smallmouth bait ever. They are tough too. I caught six smallys on one hellgramite before I had to retire it.
My grandfather taught me to remove the tiny hooks on their tail end before using them. It keeps them from crawling under rocks.
My cousin caught a trout using a hellgrammite once. He didn't hook the trout, the hellgrammite bit the trout and wouldn't let go.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hellgrammites and mushrooms in a cream sauce over sourdough toast and served with a nice chablis...
Just the thing for a nice snack before retiring; especially if the mushrooms are fresh.
edit on 23-10-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
My dad and I once fished a small creek in Arkansas called the baron fork river. Web would use these ugly critters to catch small mouth bass with. We would find them under to rocks. They pack a helluva bite!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

butcherguy
My cousin caught a trout using a hellgrammite once. He didn't hook the trout, the hellgrammite bit the trout and wouldn't let go.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

HA! I've seen that happen. Not with a trout, though. A rock bass (or goggle eye as they're known here), as I recall. I know guys who reach under river rocks and grab them by hand. I prefer to use a seine. And by 'prefer', I mean no way in hell am I going to reach under a submerged rock and grab one of those mean little buggers.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pladuim

That was a great video..thank you..wish i was there, fishing....

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
My friend who lived with us for a while about 15 years ago worked at a paint factory. One day he brought one of those home in a jar. He said that there was a bunch of them crawling around in the back where they took their breaks. I'm not squeamish but I'd freak if that thing was crawling on me.

I've wondered for years what the heck it was but no one knew. Thanks!

top topics

join