It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany: US may have targeted Merkel's cellphone.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is now over the top. We are being exposed by every country there is. I wonder if this info had anything to do with the Saudis deciding to split diplomatic ties also(see below). Seems she called him directly. As a country, everyone knows that everyone spies on everyone else but this is just not good. If it is a low level CIA op and you are trying to find someone passing info that is one thing but to bug world leaders, and get caught, is simply embarrassing. No wonder Benghazi would up in the #ter like it did. Too many leaks..or the recent SEAL team 6 raid that went south...

The German government says Chancellor Angela Merkel has called President Barack Obama after receiving information that U.S. intelligence may have targeted her mobile phone.

Merkel spokesman Steffen Seibert said Merkel made clear in Wednesday's call that "she views such practices, if the indications are confirmed ... as completely unacceptable" and called for U.S. authorities to clarify the extent of surveillance in Germany.

What is wrong with our country? I understand spying but be discrete...it also is trying ti indicate it may have been Snowden but sorry, the 'blame him for all' ship has sailed. Blame this one on Mr Bush Der Current
Fuhrer...

A statement from Seibert said the German government "has received information that the chancellor's cellphone may be monitored by American intelligence." The government wouldn't elaborate but news magazine Der Spiegel, which has published material from NSA leaker Edward Snowden, said its research triggered the response

Saudis bail on Obama also...Link

Who is left? England is pissed at us...Now Germany...painted ourselves into a corner now.
edit on 10pm31pmfu2013-10-23T13:25:39-05:000139 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/10/13 by JAK because: Caps removed. Please see The use of All Caps Thank you

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Was Merkles phonecall to obama bugged? I bet it was.

If i found out my friend was recording my calls i would put him on his arse and never have anything to do with them again.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

Agree, dont think this is on Obama. Look at the man lately, looks like #. A man with sleepless nights and tons of worries. The man looks like he aged 20 years in just 5.
USA will end up alone, with all these disclosures coming to surface...
Im not from USA myself, so I cant imagine how this feels for all of you that is...or if you even care...
But as you said, its too much...gone way way too far.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And things like this lead to issues such as this which can have widespread implications for us...

Linnk

European lawmakers on Wednesday called for the suspension of an agreement that grants U.S. authorities access to bank data for terror-related investigations, marking a sharp official rebuke of Washington's surveillance programs.

The European Parliament's resolution, adopted in a 280-254 vote with 30 abstentions, is not binding. The agreement could only be suspended by a two-thirds majority of the 28-nation bloc's member states.

The resolution followed leaks by Edward Snowden alleging the U.S. National Security Agency targeted the Belgium-based system overseeing international bank transfers, known as SWIFT.

The measure's opponents said cancelling the agreement would jeopardize a powerful law enforcement tool that allows investigators to analyze money flows related to terrorist activities. The supporters maintained the alleged spying grossly violated the so-called Terrorist Finance Tracking Program (TFTP) agreement and thereby voided it.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If you have any sort of contact with the president of the U.S. YOU WILL be monitored

It doesn't matter if you're an ally.

That's why it's called U.S. Intelligence

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

and if you monitor someone who has contact with the POTUSA....then YOU will be monitored...thats called checks and balances...there always a bigger fish.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

sikko45
reply to post by muse7

and if you monitor someone who has contact with the POTUSA....then YOU will be monitored...thats called checks and balances...there always a bigger fish.

bigger fish?

Yeahhh ok

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
English guy here, but I can tell you now - people in Europe are getting very pissed indeed about American digital surveillance of private citizens in allied nations.

And why shouldn't we be?

Although it's been denied, it is claimed that the NSA recorded 70m French phonecalls in one month not so long ago. No warrant, no grounds for suspicion - and this is the private communications of private citizens in one of America's closest allies.

America talks about 'freedom' - but it sometimes seems like the only freedom they really want it is the freedom to do what they like.

"But, there's a chance terrorists are calling each other in France"

Well, that makes it alright then, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well good timing bozo... Make enemies with the entire world and then cut your military. This here is rife with conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

muse7

sikko45
reply to post by muse7

bigger fish?

Yeahhh ok

If there wasn't a bigger fish - we would never hear about this kind of NSA infringement. America have probably been doing this for years, but now we all know about it.

In fact, it's not even a bigger fish - it's a smaller fish, one that's almost impossible for the 'big fish' to see.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

elouina
Well good timing bozo... Make enemies with the entire world and then cut your military. This here is rife with conspiracy.

Reminds me of line by Robert Newman, when talking about how America seems to unite the rest of the world with a hatred of them. Someone American mentions they should unite into a country and get themselves a flag.

'We have,' he replies. 'It's the same as yours, but on fire'.
edit on k015710bpmWed, 23 Oct 2013 13:57:57 -0500 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

fine ...size is of course relative....for some people anyway. Theres allways a hungrier more agressive no bs tolerating fish...that better?

this was actually meant for muse7
edit on 23-10-2013 by sikko45 because: im dumb

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

matafuchs
We are being exposed by every country there is.

Not 'we' ... the Obama administration is being exposed.
Don't lump me in with that shyster.

I remember when Obama was running for POTUS, the Germans just LUV'd him.
They swooned for him at his speech at that famous gate (wall) over there.
I can't help but wonder what they think of him now .....
Bet they are spanking themselves for having fallen for his rhetoric ...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Being German myself I actually think this is a good thing.

First off, this incident brings the surveillance issue back onto the table and, secondly, this is grist to the mills of those demanding a strengthening of German emancipation/autarky.
edit on 23-10-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If a call from one International leader to another is recorded, I can understand. But if the tapping of personal lines to get information is occurring there are big problems.

NSA bugged the UN...then it was the media...then people attached to the media...then the tea party...the French...and then Kevin Bacon! The six degrees of the NSA....

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2351883/John-Kerry-hits-claim-US-bugged-38-foreign-embassies-Angela-Merkel-brands-unacceptable.html]Link[ /url]

i.dailymail.co.uk...

Angela Merkel waded into the row, saying: 'If it is confirmed that diplomatic representations of the European Union and individual European countries have been spied upon, we will clearly say that bugging friends is unacceptable.
'We are no longer in the Cold War.'
Meanwhile, Martin Schulz, president of the EU Parliament, told French radio the United States had crossed a line.
He told France 2: 'I was always sure that dictatorships, some authoritarian systems, tried to listen ... but that measures like that are now practiced by an ally, by a friend, that is shocking, in the case that it is true.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... EPA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I mean, they cannot get a website to work but they can listen to sexting halfway around the world...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You do realize that those who "swooned for him at his speech at that famous gate" were a mostly handpicked audience and a great deal of U.S.-military families?

Your current administration is actually not that popular, at least since your clown Geithner came over here, telling us how "the American Way" is so superior to ours.

Obama, Kerry and Geithner have done some damage to the image of the US abroad and gambled away much of trust in the U.S... they might even beat the Bush-administration in their bad reputation and that's quite the achievement.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I think the rest of the world should start applying some sanctions against the US plain and simple!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The German politicians, especially those of the parties in power, were very quick in believing their American friends and that they never spied on anyone more than necessary. Some parotted the nonsens of the many terrorist plots they had uncovered... by listening to Merkel's mobile.

It is a good development. Germany has voted for Merkel again and many opponents said, Germany voted for NSA. She and her party fellows will think twice in the future if they really believe the USA everything, just because Clintonbushobama say: Everything's okay, we just listen to terrorist's mobiles so we can localize them and send a drone.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just who are the people in the NSA? How many are at the top?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

CryonicAngel

Agree, dont think this is on Obama. Look at the man lately, looks like #. A man with sleepless nights and tons of worries. The man looks like he aged 20 years in just 5.

Yes, he realized that he is not the most powerful man in the western world but just the scapegoat for the f*ers in the background. Stupid, but very bad people who don't care to let kill people in the hundreds and thousands, even their own. The alternative for an Afro-American scapegoat would have been a woman. Hillary was lucky, since she knew about the scapegoat presidency from her husband already.

But maybe they have gone too far this time. They pissed off evrybody now and if they cannot blame it all to Obama, then they will have a problem. I guess, they have.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join