It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian Authorities Planned To Torch Northern Norway In 1951

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   

In 1944 when the russians attacked the germans in northern Norway, the germans used the so-called "scorched earth tactics". As the occupying troops retreated, they burnt everything left behind. The destruction included 10,400 homes, bridges, power stations, factories, fishing vessels, telephone facilities and other types of infrastructure. The scorched earth area was much larger than all of Denmark. Now they have revealed that in 1951 the Norwegian authorities planned to use the same tactics in the event of a russian attack.

From: Aftenposten: Norwegian authorities planned to torch Finnmark

Just six years after the German scorched earth tactics left Finnmark in ruins Norwegian authorities planned to do the same in the event of a future war with the Soviet Union. Top secret government documents from 1951 presented Thursday at the Institute for Defense Studies revealed the historic policy.

Norwegian authorities had no desire to defend the country's northernmost county in the event of a Russian attack. Even more extreme, military leaders planned to evacuate Finnmark and burn its buildings to the ground again.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many norwegians are shocked about this new find. Some knew about it though, but now it's official. The government managed to keep this a secret for more than 50 years. I wonder what else they are hiding from us? I can actually think about a thing or two which I won't mention here until I got something to back it up with. They will have to rewrite the history books completely if what I suspect turns out to be true...

[edit on 2006/4/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Well the tactic has been proven to work. If it came to a general war with NATO and the Warsaw Pact, torching N Norway would be effective. What is the point keeping everything intact if you are going to be subjugated.
Also scorched earth would have been highly effective given the climate up there.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarnos
Well the tactic has been proven to work.

- That is very true in the case of Germany's invasion of the USSR in 1941.

If it came to a general war with NATO and the Warsaw Pact, torching N Norway would be effective.

- In this case I'm not so certain.
WW3 would have been so much more mobile and faster than WW2 (which was nothing like as universally 'mechanised' as we imagine....certainly as far as the Germans were concerned)

What is the point keeping everything intact if you are going to be subjugated.

- Yeah but having no homes or farms can rebound horribly on the populace that stayed (as many always do.... or try to) when the fighting is eventually over.

Also scorched earth would have been highly effective given the climate up there.

- I wouldn't be so sure, I imagine the Russians would have coped with the climate pretty well, they have done every other time in warfare when it came to it.

new topics

join