It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BIG NEWS ! MARS Can Cure EARTH

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hi guys, well the brother of earth -Mars dont give us a clue about living thing on it..but leave a clue to save living things on Earth! How it can be? Read this new BIG discovery..

Turning a greenhouse gas into stone is a climate change technofix suggested for Earth. Now it seems that locking up carbon dramatically cooled the Red Planet 3 billion years ago.

The conclusion comes from a study of minerals in a Martian meteorite. "It has big implications for global warming and CO2 reduction in our own atmosphere," says Tim Tomkinson, who studied the rock. "By understanding how this occurred on Mars we can gain insights into how we can do it on Earth."

These days the Martian atmosphere is thin and about 95 per cent CO2, but scientists think that 3 or 4 billion years ago the planet's gassy envelope was much thicker and even richer in carbon, making its surface warm enough to support liquid water - and possibly life.

Just what happened to all that CO2 is a bit of a mystery, says Tomkinson, who works at the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre in East Kilbride, UK. It could have been blown into space by the solar wind or frozen in the dry ice caps at the poles, but that wouldn't account for all the carbon.

Another possibility is that the CO2 was sucked into rocks, in a process called carbonation which also occurs naturally on Earth. Tomkinson and colleagues studied a Martian meteorite known as Lafayette, thought to have landed on Earth roughly 3000 years ago. Using a scanning electron microscope they found veins of carbonate minerals. These form when carbon dissolved in water seeps into rocks containing the mineral olivine. The carbon replaces the olivine, locking it away (Nature Communications, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms3662).

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter detected signs of carbonate in 2008, and traces have been found in other meteorites. Looking at patterns in the Lafayette meteorite to see how the mineral was laid down showed that it replaced olivine in a natural geoengineering event, says Tomkinson.

It is not yet clear how much of Mars's ancient atmosphere might have been turned to stone. Studies suggest that using olivine to transform Earth's climate would require more mineral than can fit on its surface, so carbonation is unlikely to be solely responsible for changes on Mars.

Some answers may come from a pair of new probes: India is launching its first Martian orbiter next month to study how the planet's atmosphere has changed over time, and the US is launching a similar one later this year.

For now, however, the latest findings show that olivine can play a significant role in shaping a planet's climate, says Bethany Ehlmann of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, who led the Martian orbiter discovery. "People don't usually think about it but alteration of the rocks really influences the air we breathe over geologic time."

sory for just a copy paste, its so divicult to me to make my own centence because of my bad english..but this is i call very bright invention to cure global warming, hope Mars give us another clue to make a better Earth..

www.newscientist.com...

edit on 23-10-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hmmm.

Lets copy a planet that died!

Does that not sound like temping fate to anyone else? lol

Interesting, again, cheesy

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Biigs
Hmmm.

Does that not sound like temping fate to anyone else?

It does fit the Georgia Guidestone's dearest wish: to keep mankind under only a few millions.

cheesy
Mars give us another clue to make a better Earth..

Mars died of global cooling. If we're not careful, the same will happen to Earth if we try to mess with its protective chemicals. And a global cooling is even worst than a global warming.

S&F for the technological find, though! This is great info.

edit on 23-10-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Biigs
Hmmm.

Does that not sound like temping fate to anyone else? lol

Interesting, again, cheesy

No this discovery dont mean like that sir, we re human that much much more to learn..we can research how mars die and make that as an experience..not mean to teach you sir, only give some explanation of this invention
Tq so much Mr.Biigs

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
lmao, this kind of thing scares me to death actually. Essentially trying to find a way to avoid changing the status quo that is unbelievably foolhardy or improbable. The article, itself, that it would take covering more than the entirety of the surface of the earth with olivine in order to correct our carbon issues.

Instead of changing the surface of the earth to simply preserve that status quo and risk unexpected consequences, wouldn't it make more sense to immediately begin changing everything that we do on this planet, starting with our rationales in regards to material goods and more, as a reasonable step one in "curing the earth"? Seriously, do people really need a new iPhone every year?

My grandfather had the same pair of boots for 40 years. When the heel got worn, he'd take it into the shoe repairman, who'd fix the boots up. Those boots have actually outlasted him. Now contrast that attitude against what we are like today. Which one is smarter and more sustainable?

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

swanne

Biigs
Hmmm.

Does that not sound like temping fate to anyone else?

It does fit the Georgia Guidestone's dearest wish: to keep mankind under only a few millions.

cheesy
Mars give us another clue to make a better Earth..

Mars died of global cooling. If we're not careful, the same will happen to Earth if we try to mess with its protective chemicals. And a global cooling is even worst than a global warming.

S&F for the technological find, though! This is great info.

Tq sir
Yes i agree we must becarefull..but in other side we can make a small scale for experiment, that discovery dont tell us to make earth like mars..but how make a carbon absorbser to make less carbon on air..

this just like we fight again virus..we get it weaknes to fight..to live..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Fair enough. Well said mate.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
lmao, this kind of thing scares me to death actually. Essentially trying to find a way to avoid changing the status quo that is unbelievably foolhardy or improbable. The article, itself, that it would take covering more than the entirety of the surface of the earth with olivine in order to correct our carbon issues.

Instead of changing the surface of the earth to simply preserve that status quo and risk unexpected consequences, wouldn't it make more sense to immediately begin changing everything that we do on this planet, starting with our rationales in regards to material goods and more, as a reasonable step one in "curing the earth"? Seriously, do people really need a new iPhone every year?

My grandfather had the same pair of boots for 40 years. When the heel got worn, he'd take it into the shoe repairman, who'd fix the boots up. Those boots have actually outlasted him. Now contrast that attitude against what we are like today. Which one is smarter and more sustainable?

Tq Mam.its so nice how you compare it..i understand your opinion..very much, once again tq..

So i will change the tittle to creazy scientist try to make earth die like mars? Just kidding friend..i will keep a good aspect from this discovery..
edit on 23-10-2013 by cheesy because: Sory Ms Alice

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Good ole human stubbornness, "Don't tell me what to do im going to keep banging my head against the wall until i accomplish something"

Sometimes its lead to our greatest advancements, others to our greatest failures.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Ma'am. I think that those who are in power are fully aware of what is approaching. They are doing everything that they can to keep people from comprehending it fully but they are aware. Make no mistake. So many government lead studies are being done across the US in regards to so much death that is going on in plant life, marine life, and wildlife--fauna and flora are dying. Instead of changing, they are trying to play God.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Sometimes its lead to our greatest advancements, others to our greatest failures.

I agree with your word..very nice sir, it just einsten discover atom..some for good for reactor some for bad bomb..sometime fear to know is very humanity sir..its basic instinct of human evolution..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
Instead of changing, they are trying to play God.

Playing God... if we don't, who will?

We should all try to play God, but for the betterment of Earth and ALL of its life forms; not for greed (which is what a few Elite wants to do).

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Luddites. bah.

Good potential tech. atmospheric scrubbers is a common sci-fi tool used, If it can be imagined, it can be done (within limits of reality anyhow).

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I have never replied to any of your articles Cheesy but they are always so damn interesting and thought provoking..thank you for that.

It would be nice if maybe we could use what we learn about Mars combined with what resources we have to interact with that planet and perform whatever experiments might be good for Earth there and if those results prove positive then bring that formula to Earth.
I agree that we have to act as scientists and try to bring about positive change here but as far as I know this is our only home and if we screw this up much worse than it already is...well not sure what the future may be.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Biigs
Hmmm.

Mars died because it stopped producing a magnetic field. We're not in danger of that any time soon. The global cooling of Mars occured because, without the magnetic field, it lost most of its atmosphere to the solar wind.

If anything, Earth has a risk of sharing Venus' fate: suffering a runaway greenhouse effect that would result in a climate too hot for us. So if we can learn from Mars how not to overheat, we should.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks for the post Cheesy... IMO even though there has been millions if not billions spent on selling the idea that C02 is the big bad fly in the ointment of the climate change debate; it was the only thing they could blame mankind on and expect to extract money for.

Water vapor is a much stronger greenhouse gas (no money) Methane producing termites and cows (no big bucks there)... The stuff I have read shows that water vapor feedback roughly doubles the amount of warming if it was caused by CO2 in the first place.

So if there is a 1°C change caused by CO2, the water vapor will cause the temperature to go up another 1°C. When other feedback loops are included, the total warming from a potential 1°C change supposedly caused by CO2 is, in reality, as much as 3 degrees C. It is a chicken and egg thing. No big bucks in water vapor..

One of the volcanos in Hawaii puts out more C02 everyday than all the cars in America for a year.. But no big bucks there either...

People seem to confuse pollution (who most thinking people do not want) with climate change IMO and they are not really the same... The Earth is dynamic with many climate loops all intertwined... To pick one thing in a complicated system and blame all the results on is bad science at best or asinine at worse.

edit on 23-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not sure are we worthy. History tells us whatever invention we make we possibly can turn it into a weapons.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

727Sky
reply to post by cheesy

Thanks for the post Cheesy... IMO even though there has been millions if not billions spent on selling the idea that C02 is the big bad fly in the ointment of the climate change debate; it was the only thing they could blame mankind on and expect to extract money for.

Water vapor is a much stronger greenhouse gas (no money) Methane producing termites and cows (no big bucks there)... The stuff I have read shows that water vapor feedback roughly doubles the amount of warming if it was caused by CO2 in the first place.

So if there is a 1°C change caused by CO2, the water vapor will cause the temperature to go up another 1°C. When other feedback loops are included, the total warming from a potential 1°C change supposedly caused by CO2 is, in reality, as much as 3 degrees C. It is a chicken and egg thing. No big bucks in water vapor..

One of the volcanos in Hawaii puts out more C02 everyday than all the cars in America for a year.. But no big bucks there either...

People seem to confuse pollution (who most thinking people do not want) with climate change IMO and they are not really the same... The Earth is dynamic with many climate loops all intertwined... To pick one thing in a complicated system and blame all the results on is bad science at best or asinine at worse.

edit on 23-10-2013 by 727Sky because: ...

Yq My Friend, Yourre Right, and I get Knowledge From You..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

dollukka
Not sure are we worthy. History tells us whatever invention we make we possibly can turn it into a weapons.

Dont Worry Ms.Dollukka, when ever Bad poeple do, Good People Beat Them..and We Still Enjoy Our Technology

top topics

join