It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who confessed to drunk driving in viral video gets 6 1/2 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Matthew Cordle, an Ohio man who confessed in an online video that he killed a man in a June drunken-driving crash, was given a six-and-a-half-year sentence Wednesday.
His driving privileges also were suspended for life, and he was ordered to pay court costs and a $1,075 fine.
He pleaded guilty last month to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving under the influence. The maximum prison sentence would have been eight and a half years.
Matthew Cordle became a national story when he confessed on a viral video that he killed a man.
He begged others not to drink and drive. He said he'll take responsibility for his actions.
On Wednesday morning, he'll find out how much that confession will cost him. He faces a maximum sentence of 8½ years.
Cordle, 22, is expected in a Ohio court Wednesday after pleading guilty in September to aggravated vehicular homicide and driving under the influence.
Cordle told a judge at a September hearing that he did not remember the night of June 22 because he "blacked out" from drinking too much.

I must say, I give this kid respect for doing the right thing. I wonder, in hindsight now, does the kid regret doing the viral video confession? I know he will say all the "right" things to the media now, but I wonder deep down, if he wishes he kept his mouth shut??? Anyways, I feel like the sentence is light, especially knowing that someone was killed, but I guess a confession can work in your favor when going up against a district attorney and a judge. In a dark story like this where a person's life was taken, it's good to see a person doing the right thing, which was owning up to what they did. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who would have never confessed to doing this crime.

I'm curious to other ATS members, would you have been able to own up to doing something like this or would you have acted as if nothing happened and that you were never there?

CNN

Mods- I ran a search and didn't find this, so if its already up please 86 the thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Turning himself in right away would have been the right thing to do, not making a video with sappy music to put online. This generation is screwed up.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Jefferton
Turning himself in right away would have been the right thing to do, not making a video with sappy music to put online. This generation is screwed up.

I agree with that, but ultimately, turning himself in regardless is a step in the right direction, especially in today's times where I believe MOST would have done nothing or tried to cover their own tracks.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Well fair play for handing himself in. But i get the feeling he would have been caught anyhow. And i sure don't believe the Oh i cant remember i blanked out due to drinking bit. To convenient

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Jefferton

True, but if he would've just turned himself in he wouldn't be an internet sensation.

Yeah, it's cool he took responsibility but making a sad video was just a way for him to get more attention.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yes, I would have done the right thing, and not after making a video and posting it on the internet.
I would feel GUILTY about hurting another person. I would not have been able to live with myself.

He should have turned himself in immediately!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Jefferton
Turning himself in right away would have been the right thing to do, not making a video with sappy music to put online.

Yeah .. that. I agree with Jefferton. THe right thing would have been to get a lawyer and turn himself in as soon as possible. The longer this played out, the more pain the victims family and friends went through. And I thought the video was sappy and contrived. Anyways .. that's what I think .. if anyone cares.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Jefferton
Turning himself in right away would have been the right thing to do, not making a video with sappy music to put online.

Yeah .. that. I agree with Jefferton. THe right thing would have been to get a lawyer and turn himself in as soon as possible. The longer this played out, the more pain the victims family and friends went through. And I thought the video was sappy and contrived. Anyways .. that's what I think .. if anyone cares.

Yea, I try to look at this story from the perspective of a 21-22 year old and how I figure most would react. Maybe in today's online world this was his way of ownership, and I feel that a lot of the older-aged people on ATS may not be able to relate to it so well because they didn't grow up with social media networks like your Facebook, Tumbler, Youtube, etc. I think this could be the way this generation looks at handling tough situations, whether it be confessions or suicide-like cries for help, we see these youtube-like videos on the internet daily with teens/young adults.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'd written a bit about this in the beginning when his attorney was busy trying to play cheap games to get him off somehow. He didn't even seem to want it, but public defenders are public defenders. What more can be said?

Initial Thread on Judge Shopping

It sounds like he's made peace with what he's facing though and understands it's easy compared to what he caused others. That's unusual and starts right from his video, before entering the system. I think his conscience was more than he could deal with.

As for the OP question of what if..? I have no question I'd do the same thing and likely immediately, not by video. I mean standing up for what happened. The fact it's the right thing is part of that, but more importantly? I have a little devil on one shoulder, like everyone, but a 600lb Angel on the other that just loves to beat me with a conscience for people I may wrong in life.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Jefferton

But he was drunk....

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm sorry... Am I the only one here who thinks it's kinda odd he's only getting 6 1/2 years for killing and fleeing the scene??
Just because he did the "right thing" in confessing about it...
My heart has sunk down real low into my stomach.....
edit on 23-10-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

natalia
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm sorry... Am I the only one here who thinks it's kinda odd he's only getting 6 1/2 years for killing and fleeing the scene??

Very true. And what sort of message does this send out to other, dont fuss up right away, make a you tube vid and then confess for a sentence reduction!?

Not smart at all

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
When dealing with the law:
Don't make a video, contact a lawyer
Don't come clean to some investigator, contact a lawyer
Don't do the right thing before contacting a lawyer.
then
listen to the lawyer.

The right thing comes down the road, after the state is done the legal thing. Law in the west (especially US) is focused on legalities, not justice. the only thing you will get with video making and the like is more time due to a stronger case on their behalf. The prison system and such is meant to be a correctional facility, not a vengeance dome...this person has learned their error and although the life of no driving fits the crime, the 6+ years incarcerated for ultimately an accident (avoidable if he simply called a taxi or friend, but still non-intentional death) is without any value. It won't make the person better, may make them pick up bad traits, and more difficult to find employment in life. it serves nobody except for whomever profits by having another inmate in a prison.

Once the case is settled, then, after sentence given and all that, then you can do the apology stuff (means more anyhow considering you have nothing to gain by saying sorry)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Why would he confess after getting away with it? Pretty dumb.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

natalia
reply to post by jhn7537

That's not a sentence reduction. the max (8) is not given unless there is some circumstances behind it, or the person is laughing while being sentenced, etc.
a sentence reduction would be like 6 months in lockup and 2 years probation or something. 6.5 years is definitely pushing it. this shows videos and such do the exact opposite of the intention (builds more evidence).

Keep in mind though, prison and such is not for vengeance, it is to correct a problem in the person to make them able to fit into society..or that's what its meant to do.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

strato
Why would he confess after getting away with it? Pretty dumb.

Simple... He has integrity...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious tho, but I'm sure it's the latter, and that's why I posed the question, because I honestly believe there would be plenty of people that would ignore it and move on with life.
edit on 23-10-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

rangerdanger
True, but if he would've just turned himself in he wouldn't be an internet sensation.

Yeah, it's cool he took responsibility but making a sad video was just a way for him to get more attention.

Unless you're psychic, you have no idea what's going through that person's head.

Jefferton

If it gets one other person to confess then not only is it entirely harmless for the video to exist but it's actually positive.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can find something negative in anything the current generations do. We've grown up surrounded by cameras, instant messaging, and no privacy and it's like everyone wants us to be ashamed of who we are. Do you people have any idea how hard it is to keep a secret in the age of facebook and constant scrutiny?

Prior to the year 2000 only famous people had to release statements. Now I have to caption photos of my tattoos with freaking public service announcements just to avoid hate mail and if I make a joke about chucking a sickie it needs a 300 word preamble to highlight that I'm not lazy first. You know I actually have to pretweet my tweets now? And God forbid if I actually say something heart felt I get more social commentators than every single US president prior to 1993 combined. At least five of these comments will be ... 'oh le sigh this generation poking my eyeballs out with a spoon since 1988! Why must you torment me!'

Get over yourselves granddads.

(And ja sure the person could be a lying jerk but even if they weren't the commentary would be the same)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

jhn7537

I must say, I give this kid respect for doing the right thing. I wonder, in hindsight now, does the kid regret

He killed someone..He was an idiot for driving drunk..Anyone that chooses to drive drunk deserves anything that happens to them. "He blacked out from drinking too much" ..and he chose to get behind the wheel?
6 years is not enough and what is the point in taking away a persons license, how many people are repeat drunk drivers.

Is it admirable that he turned him self in 5 months later, I guess to an extent but that doesn't change what he did and doesn't change that he got off with too small a sentence. Hopefully though he has gotten help for his problem since then and can use this as a way to make something positive out of his life.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Yup
Idiots like this need a min of 25 years in prison.

new topics

top topics

join