It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Arrest or Not To Arrest.... This Cop Made A Good Call.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I believe that she's probably not been in this situation for long, it's probably new, and this is the first time she's ever done anything like this to begin with. She was given a chance to not have her named marred when she seeks further employment, this officer absolutely did the right thing. Nobody stating the cop was wrong realizes how difficult it is to "better" your situation once your name is dragged through a court for petty theft. Much less grand theft.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

People don't steal groceries because it gives them a kick, or because it's their hobby. They steal it because they're hungry and have no funds to pay for their most basic needs. Punishing a hungry person who is trying to fill their belly doesn't change a thing (a one time gift won't change anything either, but it's not the worst option to consider). Guilt is less of a problem than hunger sometimes.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wow that's like two positive police stories on ATS in a week!

Thank you for posting this.

Believe it or not we (police) actually do things like this on a regular basis. I am absolutely not trying to praise myself but I, just like my coworkers, have given my lunch to homeless people, bought food for them, given rides, helped change tires, helped jump start vehicles, dropped off library books for the elderly, even bought a bicycle for a kid that had theirs stolen and we were unable to recover it. We also do things like "shop with a cop", where we give underprivleged children money to purchase Christmas presents and help them pick them out.

Things like that really do happen all the time. However, the media or the public never care to talk about it. If a LEO brings up something positive they did they usually are told "that is your job your supposed to do that." Or "you didn't take the job for recognition." it is like the previous poster said "if it bleeds it leads."

Policing is probably one of the only professions where as a whole we are demonized and judged by the actions of a few. The military is a perfect example. Even though a majority are outstading citizens, some have committed attrocities against other human beings. Some have raped and murdered. Hell I remember the video of the soldiers throwing puppies off of a cliff. Yet they aren't nearly demonized and judged on a whole as LEO's. It seems that people can judge the individual when it comes to other professions.

I am not trying to start a debate about bad police. I know they are out there and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Anyways thank you for taking the time to post this story. I really appreciate it.
edit on 23-10-2013 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Thank you for your comments.
I'm a convicted felon, but I have had nothing less then the utmost respect for LEOs, and I have ALWAYS been treated respectfully by the LEOs where I live

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This is how police are supposed to interact with us regular citizens. All too often we hear stories of police strong-arming or outright killing people.

We need a good story like this from time to time.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

Good for you and the other "Good Guys"

With luck and perhaps a bit of help this woman can change her life for the better.

The tangles of red tape and 'Shame' factor may have kept her from getting the help she needs.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I take it some don't read the entire op when posting a reply. The cop was a she, with 23 years on the force and had done this before. Given my attitude toward LEO nationwide, I'll play devils advocate. Maybe she was minutes away from her shift ending and did'nt want 2 hours of paper work and booking keeping her from getting home on time.

Then maybe she has the means and ability to plunk down $100 for a perfect stranger, if so she's moon lighting some where. She made a personal decision to help. Did it help? At that moment in time it did. Will it help in the long haul for this woman, i seriously doubt it. What happens next week when the groceries run out? another trip to the market to shop-lift and hope a GOOD cop cathes you. In the long haul, this was no help at all to the woman in need.

It was a stop gap reaction by the LEO because guilt welled up to the point of overflow. It helped the LEO more than the shoplifter.
edit on 23-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by elevatedone

I'm waiting for those who bash ALL LEOs to come on here and say what this cop did was wrong and that he was aiding and abetting a criminal.

But good for him and his actions. Maybe he should go to Columbus, Ohio and teach that Dept. a lesson or two in how to deal with certain situations. After all they arrested a woman for taking change out of a wishing well. All for two dollars and some change. *Sheesh!*

I've been accused by some of bashing all LEOs I personally believe we need more LEOs like this woman...

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

openyourmind1262
I take it some don't read the entire op when posting a reply. The cop was a she, with 23 years on the force and had done this before. Given my attitude toward LEO nationwide, I'll play devils advocate. Maybe she was minutes away from her shift ending and did'nt want 2 hours of paper work and booking keeping her from getting home on time.

Then maybe she has the means and ability to plunk down $100 for a perfect stranger, if so she's moon lighting some where. She made a personal decision to help. Did it help? At that moment in time it did. Will it help in the long haul for this woman, i seriously doubt it. What happens next week when the groceries run out? another trip to the market to shop-lift and hope a GOOD cop cathes you. In the long haul, this was no help at all to the woman in need.

It was a stop gap reaction by the LEO because guilt welled up to the point of overflow. It helped the LEO more than the shoplifter.
edit on 23-10-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

Perhaps this helps?

A penniless Miami mom desperate to feed her hungry family was nearly arrested while trying to steal $300 worth of groceries, but the responding officer decided to help her instead. Officer Vicki Thomas arrived on the scene last month, and when Jessica Robles admitted the food was for her starving family, Thomas sent her home with a misdemeanor citation and $100 worth of groceries. Since news of Thomas's act of kindness has spread, good will offers of money, food, and even a job have poured into the Robles household.

...After news of her situation and of Thomas’s good deed spread, offers of money and food began to come in.
Robles made a return trip to a grocery store, but this time it was with some members of the community who raised $700 for her to spend at the store.
And the mother of four even got to keep what was left over.
While Robles certainly needs the cash, she’ll now be making her own money with a new job she landed at a local call center after the owner heard her story.
John Challenor of phonedoctor.com invited Robles in to see her resume and hired her as a customer service rep on the spot.
'There's no words,' Robles told Challenor through tears, 'how grateful I am that you took your time and helped somebody out. Especially somebody like me.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... QJP

This officer didn't play judge and jury, she gave the mother a citation as well as $100 of food, and her kindness lead to an additional $700 and a job offer.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Dav1d because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

juspassinthru

TDawgRex
I'm waiting for those who bash ALL LEOs to come on here and say what this cop did was wrong and that he was aiding and abetting a criminal.

While I applaud the humanity, I criticize the action overall. $300 is not chump change. Giving her $100 in food is not going to change her situation. She's still dependent and apparently without the means to care for her children.

Also, everytime someone steals from a vendor, it makes higher prices for the rest of us. Simple math.

As a vendor myself, I don't care if the thief pays the money for the product or a cop, or a labrador retriever.

I do however, want any thieves to take responsibility when I catch them. If someone pays their debt, and they acknowledge their actions, I am happy. I am not happy when a cop comes in, arrests their ass, sends them to jail, I get nothing in return, and they (through the power of transference of anger) blame me for sending their ass to jail.

So I say it's a win, for now.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dav1d

When the LEO officer does this ,lets say about 2.5 million times for all the other "down on their luck Americans"out there , then I'll say she did something grand. Until then, it's just a human act of kindness. which in most incidents like this we hear about, all of everybody jumped on board. Where were all these people while this woman was shoplifting prior to getting caught? Did this woman go seek out help? Did she have SS aid? Was she on welfare? Where's the dad? So many questions. I'll stand by my earlier statement. In the long run this did not help. When you'll steal, before you seek help, then there's another somthing going on there. Steal first, seek help second...no wait, steal first and not get caught then no help would have been asked for. Because she got away with plan number 1. Steal what I need. Vs seek help.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Jefferton
I have to go against the majority here. I don't see the good here. Will the stealing mom really change her life over this? Or will she and many others just continue bad behavior thinking someone will bail them out.

What a dick. Are you so far removed from reality that compassion is no longer a virtue?

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

You are the one who needs to take a closer look at reality. It's not pretty, but only by acknowledging that can society make real progress.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

[B]One month after a kind-hearted police officer gave the starving mother and her family a chance, Jessica Robles' life has taken a dramatic turn.
Not only does she have food for her children, but she has a steady job and invitations to appear on shows like Good Morning America and Inside Edition.
The mother-of-three owes her recent good fortune to officer Vicki Thomas who, when called to deal with a shoplifter at a Miami Publix, decided to help instead of arresting her after Robles admitted she would probably steal again because her kids were hungry.
Thomas sent her home with a misdemeanor citation and $100 worth of groceries.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ml#ixzz2ivCdsVDj

Well it would appear that at the one month mark, it has made a difference, giving a hand up, rather than a foot down! Only time will tell. Officer Vicki Thomas I salute you, you are the kind of officer I believe the world needs more of, may you be blessed!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join