It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple's got it wrapped up for Christmas! iPad Air is TWICE as fast, 20% thinner, weighs just 1lb an

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I'm not going to make fun of you for your devotion to Apple. I just hope that your are honest enough with your like for that company to recognize its flaws and some of the ways it takes advantage of its customers. The new iPad in the OP is an example of that. Upgrade a few things, without changing much else. Here some links for you to view:

Apple's Planned Obsolescence: Customer Revolt Brews

Apple Getting Sued For ‘Planned Obsolescence’ Of iPad 3

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm sorry if I"m coming off that way.

My point is, that consumers purchase products because they are told that they are superior to others, while not really knowing that they are.

Apple products for example, aren't really any better hardware or software wise than any other mainstream computer manufacturer. They have better ease of access and user friendliness yes, but that's a small thing to pay so much for if you can see what I"m getting at.

I could build you a labtop for half the price of your Mac Book that would perform probably twice as well, but alas, not many people want good performance anymore, and that's the problem.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I look at it like this: there 's always going to be a new product. I'm typing this on an ipad 3, and I wasn't mad when the "new" ipad came out 7 months later. I know that there will be some new bells and whistles in the future and I can buy now or wait to see what's coming.

The latest ipad , the ipad air, is attractive to me because it weighs so much less. Since I carry my ipad in my purse every day, losing some of the bulk is attractive. Will I upgrade? Maybe--if I decide to pass my current ipad down to my son (whose school will be implementing "Bring Your own Technology" 2nd semester, so he really could get some use out of it). I haven't decided. Do I need it? No. Would my son like for me to upgrade? Definitely!

So what I'm saying is that anyone who is surprised that a "new" product is coming out hasn't been paying attention.

And we're still happily using an iPhone 4 in our household, which came out in what, 2010? My youngest son uses it and it works great. I handed it down when I upgraded my own phone. A 3 year old handset, that has been used heavily by me, then son #2 and finally now my son #3. And my 4 year old MacBook Pro is being used every single day, as well. Show me a 3 year old phone and a 4 year old laptop of any other brand still working this well.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

And we're still happily using an iPhone 4 in our household, which came out in what, 2010? My youngest son uses it and it works great. I handed it down when I upgraded my own phone. A 3 year old handset, that has been used heavily by me, then son #2 and finally now my son #3. And my 4 year old MacBook Pro is being used every single day, as well. Show me a 3 year old phone and a 4 year old laptop of any other brand still working this well.

That's really because there is no real difference between your Iphone 5 and your Iphone 4. The hardware is basically identical, there's just a few minor modifications, which again, don't justify charging 700$ retail for the handset.

I'll show you hundreds of models of handsets and computers that are still working well after 5 years. My Dell XPS labtop from 2008, works like magic, never been upgraded. The difference is, when it does start to slow down, I can buy 250$ worth of parts and it'll be like brand new.

With Apple products, you have to buy a whole new unit, which for a macbook is gonna be about..1200$ minimum?

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm sorry if I"m coming off that way.

My point is, that consumers purchase products because they are told that they are superior to others, while not really knowing that they are.

Apple products for example, aren't really any better hardware or software wise than any other mainstream computer manufacturer. They have better ease of access and user friendliness yes, but that's a small thing to pay so much for if you can see what I"m getting at.

I could build you a labtop for half the price of your Mac Book that would perform probably twice as well, but alas, not many people want good performance anymore, and that's the problem.

~Tenth

Okay, thanks.

I guess I'm willing to pay for ease of access and user friendliness.

I will add that my son (currently 15, taught himself to code at age 12, took AP computer science online and passed the exam--so he's what I would consider a computer genius) also prefers Apple's hardware and software.

Maybe it's because I brainwashed him at an early age.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
In other news...Nike is putting out a new sneaker, GE has a new refrigerator (with freezer!) and whoever makes shower curtain rings has a new design coming just in time for Christmas!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Apple is a CULT. Overall people who buy apple products have got this absurd idea's when buying apple products they are helping nature, fight the opressed, F*** mainstream, < insert hipster motivation here >
People who buy it are brainwashed. Like for example those people think that apple products are made in candy cotton land, sprinkled with love from little tiny elves.

I'l tell you this, they are indeed little, but it ain't no elves. Small Chinese children who get cancer or worse. Now before I get this comment, yes every major company lets the dirty work do in asia, but they don't go about pretending it was made with love.
People think that for some absurd reason those products are cleaner for the environment.
Just like they say, I never get viruses lol. Apple comes out far worse when dealing with tracking your personal info then say windows.

Now, for my work I bought a macbook pro ( I really hate to having to call it that instead of a damn laptop ).
Honestly, worst 3K ever. the screen is amazing, all the other stuff is worthless. i'm on the latest software pack and it feels like windows 95.

When i'm on it, I use windows in bootcamp lol.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's true. Apple is and always has been for non-tech savvy people. Laptops or PCs? Easy to build a computer for half the cost of an Apple machine and if you really LOVED OSX you can even install it onto the machine. Smart Phones? Samsung's Galaxy line has the Iphone beat easily, sure Android takes a little more getting used to, but it's not that complicated. Tablets? Again Samsung has them beat with their Note. Also keep in mind the other products that I linked to in my first post on this thread. Not trying to be a Samsung fanboy here, it's just that they have superior products right now and I haven't read any bad things about the company (yet, I know they will eventually get too big for their britches just like all corporations). Even in the category of software does Apple fall short. Itunes? There are WAY better mp3 players online that are free and compatible with your iPod.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You can upgrade an iMac. My son added some things to his (couldn't tell you exactly WHAT, though). He's using the same machine he got when he was in middle school (maybe 2008? 2009?) and he's now in 11th grade.

The hard drive crashed over the summer, and we took it to the Apple store. They replaced the hard drive for FREE. Even though it was really old. Something about the batch it was in.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

the owlbear

Senduko
Is this advertisement or what?

Really? Whats the point of this thread?

I was thinking the same thing.
Some iTard at the very least wrote this(if not an actual apple employee)...at worst, it is actually written by the soul of Steve Jobs that was uploaded to the internet upon his death.

Priceless

I still cannot get over the fact that this morons stopped the support for Ipad1. I've spent close to 1000 $ for that one and I can barely use it due to glitches and bugs. Damn thieves

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Nearly 1000 bucks for the 128gig model with mobile data.

Its laughable.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You can upgrade an iMac

For 18 times the cost most likely...

As for the repair you had done, any manufacturer worth their salt will replace a defective unit that has a known issue.

Let's take a gander.

Here's Apples webiste for a 512GB SATA SSD:

They Want 800$ for it.

New Egg on the other hand has a series of high quality SATA III SSD's for like..200$. Highly quality hardware, cheaper prices.

See what I mean?

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I'm not surprised that they released a new product like clockwork. They've been doing it for years. But they also like to do things like this:

Apple to cut support for ‘obsolete’ first-generation iPhone

Keep in mind that the first generation iPhone is 6 years old. A windows machine can be used indefinitely if maintained correctly. My grandmother has a Gateway computer that she bought in 1998 with windows 98 on it. Microsoft has NEVER released "patches" that literally FORCE you to upgrade their product by making your product unrunnable. They may discontinue support, but not force you to upgrade. Again, I'm not looking down on you for your choice to use Apple, just keep in mind there are better choices out there that you are willfully remaining ignorant of thanks to your brand loyalty.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
Why can't iPhones using Blutooth be able to find other iPhones or IPads ? I have tried different models and none seem to work. The Blutooth work on other cellphones as far as I know, but not iPhone to iPhone ....
what i could gather was because of itunes ,mp3's were not allowed to be recieved over bluetooth. Greedy horrible company indeed. Espeicially when they pay so little to the artists per download.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Funny, my ipad 1 has worked every time i have turned it on. loved it when i bought it and still love it. Looking at the mini now. my i phone 4 was free with sprint plan. I bought all my I stuff for one reason, they work they always work.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't get the Apple hate. Sure, I had an iPad 3 when it came out, sold it a few months later as it really didn't do what I wanted with a tablet. I had an iPhone 4, sold that several months later - switched over to Android phones but found the OS lacking and am now on a Windows phone and it's great. My girlfriend however has the latest iPhone and iPad - they suit her very well.

I have built my own PCs for close to twenty years, striving to keep them up to date with latest technologies to support bigger and faster graphics cards. My latest one ran most games at their highest detail - although as a 43 year old my gaming sessions have become very infrequent. The problem was it was noisy as hell, several fans fighting to keep those red hot components cool enough.

Recently I have been getting into app and game design and have tried very hard to do this within the Windows phone environment. So far I have found the tools and documentation very lacking and decided to look into the Apple app design environment. As you may know though - you HAVE to have a Mac to do so (officially). Fair enough, I thought, and recently bought the cheapest Mac Mini. I upgraded the memory myself - much cheaper than paying Apple to do it, and have also replaced the HDD with my own SSD - again cheaper than done officially. In all honesty I am completely blown away with this little slab of silent aluminium sat on my desk. It is nippy with everything I want to do with a computer. It's only downfall being underpowered in the graphics department - but with the PS4 only a short month away, those needs will be well catered for. I dismantled my PC and sold it's parts a few weeks ago. I do have windows on the Mac for some software I cannot get on the Mac - in fact this little machine runs windows 8 better than my PC did, no word of a lie.

So what I guess I am saying is get the tool that suits YOU to do what YOU want of it, be it an Apple, a Samsung or any of a multitude of PC makers. I am in no way an Apple fanboy - yes I have a Mac Mini, but I also have a Windows phone and a small Android tablet. People who buy Apple are not all sheeple

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

When they come out with an IPad whose hardware fits comfortably inside of a watch, is capable of storing as much as 800 gbs, and transmits data to a paper-thin screen that can be handled as easily as a newspaper, I'll be interested.

Why? Because that's revolutionary. This right here is baby steps.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

nfflhome
reply to post by Telos

Funny, my ipad 1 has worked every time i have turned it on. loved it when i bought it and still love it. Looking at the mini now. my i phone 4 was free with sprint plan. I bought all my I stuff for one reason, they work they always work.

Well you are lucky sir and the only one I read is happy with Ipad 1 after their last update. Everyone knows how crappy that system got after the latest version. Wireless extremely slow, slow browsing, slow app and so forth.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

You can build/buy a similar spec PC (or even purchase a laptop with similar specs to an iBook, or whatever apple are calling their laptops these days) for a fraction of the cost.

If it is the operating system you are fond of you can also install that onto the PC you have just built/bought (as long as it has the right hardware) with minor tinkering, just Google Hackintosh.

Apple is overpriced rubbish, it is essentially x86 based hardware (in the case of the laptops/desktops) running a Linux/Unix based OS.....which there are free alternatives like Ubuntu etc.

I'm sorry, but Apple is all about the brand, nothing more...if the prices were more in line with equivalent hardware, I might think differently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join