It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the ads I see only of items I have recently purchased online?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Is it some cookie thing? It’s not a coincidence. I was extremely startled not only to see the same shoe company but images of the exact shoes I had ordered and also the exact men’s work boots. The time before I ordered a percussion drum key and all the advertisements showed different drum keys. How and why? I’m aware that Yahoo email works the same way. How can I prevent this from happening? These ads appear previous to me logging in.

Thanks for any help.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

remember feeling like this when joining. But I think its associated with your pre search data being picked up once entering ATS servers...

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It's called Target Advertising.

The cookies keep track of your searches and interests and then serve you ads for things you might enjoy.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Now there's a thought "Adds you might enjoy" lol.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Clear your cookies and Use CCleaner.

What really creeps me out is that I get ads related to things my husband searched on his computer not mine! Also, if he watches a video on youtube on his computer and then I go to youtube on a different computer, I get video suggestions based on the videos he watched, even though they are two different computers. Due to having the sae IP I am guessing.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Is there a way to avoid being targeted for ads? I must enable cookies to search most sites.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

This could have several reasons, the first thing that pops in my head is either you are logged on youtube on both computers with the same account ( this could be you gmail account or plane Youtube acc.)

Or if your using chrome both your browsers might be synced.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There's nothing you can do about it, aside from forcing a new IP address, and it likely isn't cookies.

The ad companies store your IP, and check yours against their local list, if you visit a page they serve ads to.

Spoof the MAC address in your router to something other than what it is now, and you'll end up with a new IP from your provider.

Clear your cookies, for good measure, and try again... you'll get different ads.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
what browser do you use.

i use firefox and have two addons, that remove lso cookies when i close the browser, and a one that you can set to when you want.

Better Privacy for lso's

Self Destructing Cookie for others,

you can configure both.

link   

Wow, That is odd! They should have added a "privacy" section to the US Constitution. As of now we all no it doesnt exist.

Thanks for the advice!

link   

This also works with wifi. If you are using same WIFI server this will happen. This is advertising and this is how Google and Yahoo make so much money. Companies pay big bucks to be first on the search engine, ads popping up on websites, etc.

You are monitored at all times in everything you do. You are not free. You are tied to a machine that's sole purpose is to line its pockets with money that doesn't exist. The irony!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
If this so called targeted advertizing was useful at all, it would stop trying to sell me stuff I've already purchased!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

That's funny "different ads" maybe I'll get some of your ads, as well as many others.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f6d0aadd3d9.gif[/atsimg]

Thank You for the advice!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

I agree, they were the exact same womens shoes and the same men's work boots I just ordered. Not the ones I only looked at but purchased. Maybe I will previousy search for Lamborghinis. That would peak my interests, not more of the same shoes.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i've been using firefox for about five years, and the addons just under that.
i hardly ever get a add advertising for merchandise, just one when i go to news site trying to get me to subscribe.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ophiuchus 13

remember feeling like this when joining. But I think its associated with your pre search data being picked up once entering ATS servers...

Yes I remember that feeling like it was yesterday. Yikes!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oh and don't forget guys, Google updated it's add policy. Which starting november i think will allow them to use your picture for advertising to your friends. No SH*T, look it up on google.

Gonna be some wierd stuff when you see your friend in adult advertisement campaign lol .

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

hounddoghowlie
what browser do you use.

i use firefox and have two addons, that remove lso cookies when i close the browser, and a one that you can set to when you want.

Better Privacy for lso's

Self Destructing Cookie for others,

you can configure both.

I use IE. Ive tried firefox, chrome, and opera but something always brings me back.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

i got a feeling it's the flash cookies, here how to get rid of them in IE.
How to Delete Flash Cookies Conveniently

old article, it worked back then i don't know about now. there is a link telling you how to do it in Flash Settings Manager.

been a while, if i remember right you have to go to the web storage setting tab. move the slider all the way to zero, look at the window in the bottom those are the flash cookies stored, delete them.

edit on 22-10-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Senduko
Oh and don't forget guys, Google updated it's add policy. Which starting november i think will allow them to use your picture for advertising to your friends. No SH*T, look it up on google.

Gonna be some wierd stuff when you see your friend in adult advertisement campaign lol .

I agree. I was just on that recent thread about this, and posted the trick to avoid it from Facebook. Kind of creepy. Someones got to make a buck and how better to get rich quick by the multitude of internet users. Google most like has a monopoly on it. Ive used googles Adsense before but it's usually only on the side bar. That part doesnt alarm me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join