It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikorsky and Boeing Unveil 'Defiant' JMR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
From Defense News.com

At Monday’s Association of the United States Army (AUSA) conference here, Sikorsky and Boeing unveiled the official name for their Joint Multi-Role (JMR) helicopter technology demonstrator: Defiant.

Sikorsky and Boeing have teamed up to build a coaxial rotor helicopter with a propulsor providing forward thrust to achieve very high speeds.

This technology isn't something new to Sikorsky, having successfully demonstrated the concept, Sikorsky built the X2 Technology demonstrator and tested it with great success and it is now a serious contender in the Army's JMR program. This programs seeks to replace Blackhawk helicopters and Apaches by the 2030s.

The X2 can be seen here:

The Defiant will likely feature Sikorsky design, such as the fly by wire technology incorporated in the X2, and Boeing will likely help in the avionics department with state of the art Flight Director, MFDs, radar systems, and other features to make it an actual fight worthy rotary wing aircraft.

The SB>1-Defiant

Of course, Sikorsky has been working on this design for some time. The S-97 Raider is Sikorsky's attempt at placing the capabilities of an OH58 Kiowa, combine it with a little of the transport capability of the Blackhawk, and use the technologies found in the X2 program to bring it all together.

I look forward to one day being a crew chief on this BAMF of a helicopter.
edit on pTue, 22 Oct 2013 10:10:08 -0500201322America/Chicago2013-10-22T10:10:08-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: Edit to add information about the S-97 Raider

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I like it! 250 knots might be expanded if the retreating blade stall thing does not rear it's ugly head ! Wonder if a ducted fan pusher prop would add anything to the performance or decrease the noise profile?

Chief you need to quit working your butt off and put in for flight school.. You will still work your butt off but at least you would get to sleep while your Chief does the daily..!

S&F thanks for posting!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

There is NO WAY I would ever consider flying in the Army. Just isn't for me. Warrants put up with way too much bull# just to meet minimums for currency.

As a crew chief I hate SIs. As a pilot I would just be on the sticks hating IPs.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Yep times have changed.. In the old black shoe Army a Warrant was the best rank possible and were called RFOs where the commissioned were RLOs. Warrants were the IPs and aircraft commanders.. The RLO flew right seat and organized stuff.. Even the company commander was a right seater if he had any sense and wanted to get back to the world in one piece.. A few thought they might be the exception... They usually did not last... Anyway good luck my friend Salute!

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
All the old dogs left.Now the new guys have taken over.more order compliant less bold.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

These days the Army is looking at more street to seat guys. So even the quality of Warrant is going out the door. Hell just recently I saw an W3 MTP cook an engine by improperly taking it into lockout, watching it fall out of lockout, and then trying to take the number two into lockout, without diagnosing the problem. It was a damned good thing we were only doing ground runs or I wouldn't be here to tell you about it.

Saw a W2 decide not to turn the APU back on after a HIT check, took both PCLs to idle before I could say anything and shut down the aircraft. We had to do the HIT check again and reload all the radios because they dropped the fill. This W2 is a PC. And not a god damn one of them can fill out a -12.
edit on pTue, 22 Oct 2013 10:46:52 -0500201322America/Chicago2013-10-22T10:46:52-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on pTue, 22 Oct 2013 10:48:04 -0500201322America/Chicago2013-10-22T10:48:04-05:0031vx10 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Cool little aircraft. Coaxial helicopters just seem like a much more elegant design that tilt rotors for military applications. With Boeing's capital and system expertise and Sikorsky's helicopter experience, I think they are the ones to beat for the Kiowa and Blackhawk replacement contracts.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a little RAH64 show up in the final design somewhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I prefer the Europcopter one:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by IamSirDrinksalot

They all seem to be trying to do what the Fairey Rotodyne did in 1957.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IamSirDrinksalot

That's a neat little chopper.....just mind the propellers as you exit the aircraft or it will give a new meaning to "chopper".

top topics

join